Ryan Williams - signs.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Ryan Williams - signs.

Post by Pompey1985 »

Ex Pompey and others winger
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Ryan Williams - signs.

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I have no memory of him at all at Portsmouth. For someone who will still only be 26 in October, he seems to have been hacking around clubs for along time.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I do remember him and whilst he only played a few games for us, looked lively. Also remember him at Fulham and Oxford. Could still be useful at this level.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

interesting comments today by the Rotherham manager about Williams.

He said he had tried to persuade him to stay all season but that the player probably had his head turned during the season about a move to a Championship club which he thought would enhance his ability to play internationally for Australia (fair enough).

He went on to say that he doesn't know but he suspects that his preferred Championship club then did not come through for him in the off-season and then when Pompey came up with an offer he signed there because it was his best option to get to the Championship and to play internationally etc.

I wonder if the team that did not come through for him was Forest? Martin O'Neil leaving would explain why the interest cooled

Interesting that his club manager thought that he was a player capable of making a Championship squad / team and that he probably had a move to the Championship lined up.

On a separate issue I see that KJ has said he won't carry four wingers in his squad this year and he will use Curtis, Lowe and Williams in the match day squad and give Williams playing time to rest the other two. That sounds like a sensible plan but if Williams gets called in the Oz national squad won't he be unavailable for several games during the season leaving the squad with only two wide players?

Evans offers some cover I accept down the right and the left at a push, or Cannon as a tucked in right side midfielder or Harrison playing wider with Hawkins through the middle or I could see Brown pushed forward to left side midfield or as a wing back to cover for a game or two but I am a little concerned that this approach might come back to bite Pompey during the forthcoming season.

If Pompey are going to have only 3 wide players then that puts a lot of pressure on Close, Cannon and Morris to dominate in midfield and to create for the forward players. I didn't see much last year that suggests that is probable since most of Pompey's best play came down the flank and channels
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:52 am
On a separate issue I see that KJ has said he won't carry four wingers in his squad this year and he will use Curtis, Lowe and Williams in the match day squad and give Williams playing time to rest the other two. That sounds like a sensible plan but if Williams gets called in the Oz national squad won't he be unavailable for several games during the season leaving the squad with only two wide players?

Evans offers some cover I accept down the right and the left at a push, or Cannon as a tucked in right side midfielder or Harrison playing wider with Hawkins through the middle or I could see Brown pushed forward to left side midfield or as a wing back to cover for a game or two but I am a little concerned that this approach might come back to bite Pompey during the forthcoming season.

If Pompey are going to have only 3 wide players then that puts a lot of pressure on Close, Cannon and Morris to dominate in midfield and to create for the forward players. I didn't see much last year that suggests that is probable since most of Pompey's best play came down the flank and channels
If Lowe stays....
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

and if he doesn't stay then we'll desperately need another forward player who can play through the right hand side...but you'd think we'd have several million quid in the bank to use to acquire such a player.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

early days I know but Williams has picked up a knock already and will miss the first two weeks of the pre-season. I maintain that we should be looking for a young pacey winger on loan to add some cover/squad depth. The rumour mill today has Pompey linked to such a player from Norwich. Perhaps KJ was bluffing or has reconsidered his stance that three wide players are enough for the season.