Cricket

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Cricket

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

well, no drama...nothing to see here....move alnog
Div III. Call it what it is.
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Why is it being reported that we won on boundaries scored? Surely we won on wickets in the super over?

They got 15-1 because had they completed the second run they would have won.

We would have won on boundaries scored if they only completed one run and not lost a wicket, hence them having to go for a second run regardless.

Or am I missing something?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=RubiconCSL post_id=890238 time=1562938291 user_id=3]
Not that I am in any way underestimating NZ. But, IF we win it, will we be the only country to ever win the three world cups of arguably the three biggest sports in the world: Football, Rugby, Cricket? I can't imagine any other country even being close to being able to do that.
[/quote]

The argument from the purists is that over 200 countries play Football only a handful play Cricket & Rugby. However what a match, what a result! you could not write a script like that. Nobody would believe that a Match could finish like that.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Absolutely staggering.

For a match which was ebbing and flowing by the tiniest of margins for 97 overs it was a fascinating and explosive climax.

Seems to be a lot of disgust for the overthrow moment, but that’s the rule. Same for a World Cup Final, same for Sunday Village cricket. And if the ball had ricocheted off a fielders helmet, the stumps or even the umpire instead of Stokes’ bat, the outcome is still the same : runs completed plus 4 (well, five for the helmet)

Anyway, brilliant work from England to drag it over the line just as it seemed lost. Commiserations to the Kiwis too, who took it in good grace - and probably better than any other team in the world would have done (including us).
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Good point. The NZ response was brilliant. Still glowing this morning. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Weybridge wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:20 am Absolutely staggering.

For a match which was ebbing and flowing by the tiniest of margins for 97 overs it was a fascinating and explosive climax.

Seems to be a lot of disgust for the overthrow moment, but that’s the rule. Same for a World Cup Final, same for Sunday Village cricket. And if the ball had ricocheted off a fielders helmet, the stumps or even the umpire instead of Stokes’ bat, the outcome is still the same : runs completed plus 4 (well, five for the helmet)

Anyway, brilliant work from England to drag it over the line just as it seemed lost. Commiserations to the Kiwis too, who took it in good grace - and probably better than any other team in the world would have done (including us).
Sadly I was unable to watch much of it - in fact, I only watched the last little bit, when my son's phone battery gave out, and we put it on the main telly (the rest of the family weren't interested). And suddenly the rest of the family were interested.

Talk about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. I have every sympathy for NZ, when the ball hit Stokes' bat, and 6 runs were scored. Equally, though, they contributed to their own downfall, with Trent Boult stepping on the boundary rope - I didn't feel he was particularly off-balance from the catch. Fair play to his compatriot, I forget who it was, who signalled the 6 back to the umpires.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Weybridge
Interim Manager

Post by Weybridge »

I've just seen Jimmy Neesham's tweet :

'Kids, don't take up sport. Take up baking or something. Die at 60, really fat and happy.'

Quality!
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Normal service resumed. England back to being rubbish.

Test match v. IRELAND.
England 43-7.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:28 pm Normal service resumed. England back to being rubbish.

Test match v. IRELAND.
England 43-7.
Currently 58-8. Perhaps a certain level of complacency?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

85 all out.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

We've spent the last 4 years focusing on winning the Cricket World Cup, and duly succeeded - just.

The white and red ball formats are so different that this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Just need to recalibrate. Also, not exactly playing our strongest 11.

PS Lulling the Aussies in to a false sense of security ;-)
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:19 pm 85 all out.
Absolutely embarrassing.

Yes, it's a different game to the 50-over format. But 85 all out?

Maybe we rested one or two of our better players. But to score only 85 against Ireland...just because the ball is moving around.....

Just hope that we can show better technique, patience and strength in our second innings starting today.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Milton End wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:46 am
Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:19 pm 85 all out.
Absolutely embarrassing.

Yes, it's a different game to the 50-over format. But 85 all out?

Maybe we rested one or two of our better players. But to score only 85 against Ireland...just because the ball is moving around.....

Just hope that we can show better technique, patience and strength in our second innings starting today.
Yes, it's a weakened side, but Joe Root should have scored more than 2. End of.
Weybridge
Interim Manager

Post by Weybridge »

And so we bowl Ireland out for 38 to romp home comfortably.

What a weird match.