Stevenage

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Stevenage

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Starting team:
Craig M
Walkes Downing Naylor Brown
Close McCrorie
Lowe Pitman Curtis
Harrison

Good to see Jamal starting - I do hope that we keep him.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Stevenage

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Seems odd that Lowe would be playing if he was about to go to Wigan. My guess is he's either seen the light, or another team has shown interest and want to watch him.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

0 - 0 at half-time.

Looks like Pompey could do with some (more) shooting practice - plenty of opportunities to score.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Pompey win 1-0: Curtis with the winning goal

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2019/j ... july-2019/

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/201 ... 20-jul-19/

I can't help but notice that Harrison has yet to break his goal duck in the three games he has played. Should we be concerned? I hope he is not Scott McGarvey Mk2

good win at Stevenage in any event. They have been unbeaten in pre-season and drew in midweek vs Peterborough. KJ was experimenting with this side because he put Naylor next Downing in the back four and close in midfield alongside McRock. It was clearly an experiment to see how it might look since Burgess and Raggett were both fit on the bench.

The other take-away from the game for me was that Harness came on for Pittman into the no.10 role and Cannon replaced Lowe later on in the game. Reinforcing my view that Harness is not a direct replacement for Lowe but is alot more about filling the no.10 role that Pompey are lacking.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Odd to see Lowe starting. Is it a case of ‘I want Championship football, just not at Wigan...’?

If he does stay, that would give us width and pace to burn up front. Curtis, Lowe, Harness and Harrison - no slouches there. And with units like McCrorie and Raggett at the back, it could be a very counter-attacking season.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Weybridge wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:23 pm Odd to see Lowe starting. Is it a case of ‘I want Championship football, just not at Wigan...’?
I think it is more a question of "I want to play at the highest level I can and if a Championship club comes in for me where I would feel comfortable playing I will go, but I am happy here at Pompey if not. I would consider Wigan a good fit for me because I played under the manager before and I would fit their formation which is the same as the one I play in at Pompey"

The issue therefore is that Pompey have made it clear to those that ask that it would take a bid (at or) above £3m to sign Lowe since he was top scorer last year for Pompey and he is under contract for another two seasons and no club has met that valuation.

Look at it from Pompey's perspective. They don't need the money so are not forced to sell, If Lowe scores 15 or more next season with 7 or so assists (which he should you'd think at this point) then in a years' time he would still be worth at least the money that Wigan are probably offering today and Pompey could sell then if they were still in L1 and if they were in the Championship then Lowe probably stays on a new contract.

From Lowe's perspective it is about does he push for a move this year .....and if I were his agent I would be saying that f it were a top Championship club such as a Leeds or Middlesborough who were offering money close to the asking price and you would be a guarantee'd starter for them then agitate for a move but since Wigan are likely to be competing at the other end of the table (alongside Millwall btw) then what do you lose playing the season at Pompey if they don't meet Pompey's asking price and then seeing where you are in a years' time. Perhaps we get Pompey to give you a pay rise on your existing deal to soften the blow....now make sure you are fit and ready to hit to the ground running at the start of the season and play your natural game and score and create goals. Hence why he played 70 or so mins at Stevenage today and set up the winning goal.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I wasn't at the game on Saturday but I have read a couple of 'back from the game' reports giving VERY positive reviews of Ross McCrorie. One said he would even tackle his Granny!! :lol:
Bluesbro'
Interim Manager
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Bluesbro' »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:29 pm I wasn't at the game on Saturday but I have read a couple of 'back from the game' reports giving VERY positive reviews of Ross McCrorie. One said he would even tackle his Granny!! :lol:
Hope that's not A la Rooney. :shock:
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Selsey Bill wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:29 pm I wasn't at the game on Saturday but I have read a couple of 'back from the game' reports giving VERY positive reviews of Ross McCrorie. One said he would even tackle his Granny!! :lol:
If he's that good, we just hope that he won't be recalled in January - unlike Thomson last season.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Depends how good his Granny is , I suppose Maybe we should have signed her?