Lowe Leaving - Marquis Arriving?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Lowe Leaving - Marquis Arriving?

Post by Jack_Tinn »

KJ said last week that if a fee was agreed for Lowe that "we know where we are going!" I took that to mean that they knew exactly the player they wanted to sign to replace his 17 goals particularly.

Rumours started up over the weekend about Pompey being linked with Marquis and I noted that Gallen last night would not be drawn on Marquis (neither denying or confirming the rumour).

The News are reporting now that Lowe has headed north to meet with Wigan (signalling that a deal has been agreed surely) and I would guess that Pompey would not let Lowe leave just before the new season starts unless they are confident that they have a deal in place for their no.1 choice replacement (please please Pompey don't make a fool of yourselves by selling so close to the season without a done deal for an adequate replacement!)

I could live with a virtual swap of Lowe for Marquis. Marquis may be two years older but plays through the middle and is a proven goalscorer with three consecutive seasons of over 17 goals he is a pain in the backside for opposing defenders with his relentless approach. His strike rate over the last three years would automatically put him head and shoulders above Harrison for the no.9 position and Pompey would a very potent forward line that can be picked from Curtis, Marquis, Harrison, Pittman and Harness.

Should be an interesting 24/48 hours.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Lowe Leaving - Marquis Arriving?

Post by Weybridge »

Paul Cook : Welcome to Wigan Jamal, hope you had a good trip. NO ! KEEP THE BLINDFOLD ON!!!
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Marquis signing confirmed on PFC website:

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/201 ... n-marquis/
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Mike in Suffolk
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pompey Mike in Suffolk »

Wow, looks like a great signing to me. The management team have certainly put together a great attacking line up. Hopefully our defence will be equally as strong.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

I haven't been this excited about a signing since Jermain Defoe. Marquis is the proven striker we've been missing for the past two seasons. I feel sorry for Ellis Harrison, but I do feel that his lack of a goal during pre-season (even when the team scored 5 in his half against UCD) is a major concern.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Pompey Mike in Suffolk wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:41 am Wow, looks like a great signing to me. The management team have certainly put together a great attacking line up. Hopefully our defence will be equally as strong.
I have said elsewhere that I really like our back seven. RB will be much the same as Thompson, and the obvious downgrade from Matt Clarke to whoever is (IMO) more than offset by having both Naylor and McCrorie protecting the back four.

If we can get the front four sorted, both in terms of first choice and the use of impact subs who can change a game, then we have a chance.

Marquis puts the overall first team squad at 28. Got to expect some departures as the next item of business, apart from Lowe, the goalkeeper situation needs to be resolved and we have a glut of midfielders who are not going to get to play (even with Lowe gone and May already out on loan).
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:17 am
Pompey Mike in Suffolk wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:41 am Wow, looks like a great signing to me. The management team have certainly put together a great attacking line up. Hopefully our defence will be equally as strong.
I have said elsewhere that I really like our back seven. RB will be much the same as Thompson, and the obvious downgrade from Matt Clarke to whoever is (IMO) more than offset by having both Naylor and McCrorie protecting the back four.

If we can get the front four sorted, both in terms of first choice and the use of impact subs who can change a game, then we have a chance.

Marquis puts the overall first team squad at 28. Got to expect some departures as the next item of business, apart from Lowe, the goalkeeper situation needs to be resolved and we have a glut of midfielders who are not going to get to play (even with Lowe gone and May already out on loan).
I can see Oli being loaned to a L2 club, possibly Dennis too.

From the midfield one or other of Morris and Cannon to be loaned, the other to stay. Personally, I would loan Morris to a NL club, try to ease some minutes back into him.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

For as good a player that Clarke was I don't believe there will be a massive discernible difference this season. Clarke was a committed and quality defender but there are parts of his game that could still have tightened up for me but then again he was only 22 so that was to be expected.

Downing is five years older than Clarke and has played more games and is more of a talker/organiser on the field than Clarke and I think this will help the defence not miss too much of a beat following the departures of Clarke and Thompson.

I totally agree with PP's comment that McCrorie will also make the shield in front of the defence so much stronger this season.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:21 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:17 am

I can see Oli being loaned to a L2 club, possibly Dennis too.

From the midfield one or other of Morris and Cannon to be loaned, the other to stay. Personally, I would loan Morris to a NL club, try to ease some minutes back into him.
I can see Dennis and McGee leaving but I think that will be it (on top of Lowe of course). Leatheridge and the youth keeper out on loan and the would make sense too

Hawkins adds something different to the forward line and if he leaves then the team then the options from the bench become a little one dimensional. If any fwd were to leave then I would suggest that Pittman might be the one to give way but a departure would only leave three players and that might leave the team too thin until January if there is an injury or suspension. Particularly given that the club might have a decent run in the Checkatrade, FA Cup and even the league cup too all before the next window (hoping for a decent cup run or two given the strength of the squad this season).

I still think there is one or two more to come in - most likely on a loan - before the window closes.

We are set through the middle, on the right side and at left back but I think we need some cover on the left side of midfield and in attack. With Lowe going and Williams injured I would like to see a loaned winger with pace for cover and I would like a left sided / left footed utility wide midfielder in a similar the mould of Donohue for cover too. If Curtis jams his fingers again (or he gets a rest once in a while to keep him fresh) who is going to naturally play in that position who can whip in crosses?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Now confirmed on OS that Lowe has gone to Wigan.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Bit of a dig from Jamal in his farewell message on social media, questioning the "integrity of the decision makers". Sounds to me like a bit of sour grapes because he didn't get his move earlier in the close season. All the best though Jamal, loved your time at Pompey.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:09 pm Bit of a dig from Jamal in his farewell message on social media, questioning the "integrity of the decision makers". Sounds to me like a bit of sour grapes because he didn't get his move earlier in the close season. All the best though Jamal, loved your time at Pompey.
I saw that, I think its a dig at Caitlin and the Board more than a dig at KJ since ultimately its the Board that was holding out for the fee. There was a suggestion that the deal had hit a snag last night - and specifically about how the deal was structured.

The rumour mill suggested that WIgan had asked for changes at the last minute and regardless of who did what and when I wouldn't be shocked if WIgan told Lowe that Pompey were to blame (which they indeed might have been!)

Perhaps Lowe is understandably a bit 'chippy' about the deal almost falling over last night - given how long it has been on the cards - and was expressing his annoyance at that.

The only other thing I could think it would be is if Pompey told him earlier this summer that they would accept a bid at a price that WIgan then went on and met only for the Board to hold out for more money and Lowe sees that as not being true to their word.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I totally understand why Lowe took the chance to prove himself in the Championship with a manager that knows him already. Completely understandable.

I can't help but think though that Pompey are going to be there or thereabouts for promotion come May (and the noise from some fans for KJ's head will be very noticeable if that is not the case) and Wigan should be there or thereabouts for avoiding relegation.

Sorry to say this Wigan, but you finished 18th last year and only four places off relegation (albeit by 12pts) and Lowe is your only signing this transfer window. Charlton, Luton and Barnsley have all come up into the league and all three look like stronger teams to me than the three that were relegated last year (Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich) to L1

Nothing is guaranteed but it there does seem to me to be a real risk that (a) Wigan returns to L1 next year; and (b) that Paul Cook is not Wigan's manager at the end of the 2019/20 season.

Sky are running a feature from fans of each Championship team to say what they thought they team could achieve this season. The fan from Wigan said this:

Hopes for the season? To finish in the top half of the Championship. To integrate our quality academy players into the match-day squad. And to see a Championship away win. I haven't seen one since January 2017!

Where do you hope to finish? 6th. Build on our end-of-season momentum. There is always one surprise team.

Where do you expect to finish? 12th. Lack the depth of squad to challenge for promotion.

So you finished 18th last year, Wigan have not invested in new signings (outside of Lowe) and are relying on the academy players to make the difference this season and you have struggled away from home under Cook for the last two years. Not the greatest example of a winning strategy there or any real optimism from one of the few fans Wigan has that it is going to translate to success.

BTW - only fans from 8 teams predicted their team would finish in the bottom half. Three of the eight were from the promoted sides and Birmingham (Tuesday's opponents) were another one.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Dennis gone too, to Orient.

Sorry did not see the earlier post.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Jack_Tinn wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:58 pm
PakefieldBlue wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:09 pm Bit of a dig from Jamal in his farewell message on social media, questioning the "integrity of the decision makers". Sounds to me like a bit of sour grapes because he didn't get his move earlier in the close season. All the best though Jamal, loved your time at Pompey.
I wouldn't be shocked if WIgan told Lowe that Pompey were to blame (which they indeed might have been!)
Or indeed his agent, and even The Snooze have indicated that the agent has been dodgy in this affair.