Birmingham

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Birmingham

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Raggett on bench Close in holding midfield, Cannon no 10 with Harness out wide and Harrison up front. Marquis attending imminent birth of child.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Birmingham

Post by Sam_Brown »

2-0

Great goal from Close. A fortunate deflection loops the ball to just outside the box where Close **** it on the volley and right into bottom left corner!!!
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Birmingham fielded just three players from their Saturday team. What did they expect? Still, the youngsters got a taste of losing. The right kind of experience?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Here's the 1st half and 2 goals.

Div III. Call it what it is.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

New Forester wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:17 pm Birmingham fielded just three players from their Saturday team. What did they expect? Still, the youngsters got a taste of losing. The right kind of experience?
You say that, but they moved the ball around very well.There were times when we couldn’t get near it, particularly the first 10mins or so. Big Mac had a couple of tasty saves to make.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

I was impressed with Charlie Lakin (20yo) and Dan Crowley (22yo) for Birmingham in their midfield last night.

I was pleased to see Crowley being subbed off after 55mins because I thought he was their best player and was a danger. He always had time on the ball and had his head up looking for a decisive pass. B'ham bought him this summer from Arsenal for £700k plus add ons and I think they have a player there. Crowley played for B'ham in the opening game of the season vs Brentford last Saturday

Lakin was playing on the left side of their midfield and I thought he had a good game and almost capped it towards the end with a consolation goal when he dribbled past a few players in the box. Lakin was in the match day squad and on the bench for B'ham for much of last season.

Is it that much of a surprise for B'ham to make nine changes - bringing in a few squad players for a game but still play an experienced keeper in Stockdale and in midfield in Gardner - against opposition from the league below? The way Sky were harping on about B'ham's young players you'd have thought that B'ham were trying to throw the game! Initially they hyped them up and pointed out that Bellingham was a player on the wish list of clubs like Bayern Munich and the spanish giants but once Pompey took control the narrative was about how B'ham's kids were getting a football education.

They seemed to not realise that Close is only 22 and that Harness only broke into first team football last year himself. Close, Cannon and Harrison were squad players for Pompey on Saturday just as much as Lakin was for B'ham.

Good strong performance by Pompey and good win. Harrison gave us pace and movement up front that was sorely lacking last season and he took his goals well and could have had a penalty in the first half and the keeper made a decent save to prevent him getting his hattrick in the second half. The formation change - which was effectively going to a 4-1-2-3 - with Naylor playing in front of the back four with Close and Cannon playing as a pair worked well albeit that Pompey looked a little narrow down the right hand side with Harness naturally gravitating to a central position.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 am I was impressed with Charlie Lakin (20yo) and Dan Crowley (22yo) for Birmingham in their midfield last night.

I was pleased to see Crowley being subbed off after 55mins because I thought he was their best player and was a danger. He always had time on the ball and had his head up looking for a decisive pass. B'ham bought him this summer from Arsenal for £700k plus add ons and I think they have a player there. Crowley played for B'ham in the opening game of the season vs Brentford last Saturday

Lakin was playing on the left side of their midfield and I thought he had a good game and almost capped it towards the end with a consolation goal when he dribbled past a few players in the box. Lakin was in the match day squad and on the bench for B'ham for much of last season.

Is it that much of a surprise for B'ham to make nine changes - bringing in a few squad players for a game but still play an experienced keeper in Stockdale and in midfield in Gardner - against opposition from the league below? The way Sky were harping on about B'ham's young players you'd have thought that B'ham were trying to throw the game! Initially they hyped them up and pointed out that Bellingham was a player on the wish list of clubs like Bayern Munich and the spanish giants but once Pompey took control the narrative was about how B'ham's kids were getting a football education.

They seemed to not realise that Close is only 22 and that Harness only broke into first team football last year himself. Close, Cannon and Harrison were squad players for Pompey on Saturday just as much as Lakin was for B'ham.

Good strong performance by Pompey and good win. Harrison gave us pace and movement up front that was sorely lacking last season and he took his goals well and could have had a penalty in the first half and the keeper made a decent save to prevent him getting his hattrick in the second half. The formation change - which was effectively going to a 4-1-2-3 - with Naylor playing in front of the back four with Close and Cannon playing as a pair worked well albeit that Pompey looked a little narrow down the right hand side with Harness naturally gravitating to a central position.
Agree with this, especially Sky harping on about the 'young' Birmingham team. Not sure how exact it is but one of my sons said their average age was about 22, and ours under 24.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:27 am I was impressed with Charlie Lakin (20yo) and Dan Crowley (22yo) for Birmingham in their midfield last night.

Agree with this, especially Sky harping on about the 'young' Birmingham team. Not sure how exact it is but one of my sons said their average age was about 22, and ours under 24.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Also, that is the first time I've seen us play this season and, apart from the first quarter, was suitably impressed. I think Harness will make a big difference, Harrison & Marquis will score goals, & Curtis looks like he's got his mojo back. A combination of Naylor (who should be captain IMO) and McCrorie/Close in behind our front four also fills me with confidence. Just need to sort out preferred CB partnership, and who RB should be. On that note, though Walkes looked very solid last night. We might have lost Clarke and Lowe (oh, and NT), but I feel our squad is far stronger and deeper this season. Quietly confident, especially once this team gels.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

KJ now has a problem re selection for Tranmere, but a good one. Does he play McCrorie and Marquis and possibly Raggett, or does he stay with the same starting eleven as last night?

Personally, I would keep the same eleven, with the others on the bench, if for no other reason than if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't think that anyone from last night deserves to be dropped - a nice problem to have!
Pompey1985
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey1985 »

Harrison impressed me last night.

I'd be tempted to play Harness in the middle and Harrison out wide right.

Cannon played well in fits and spurts, but being at home against a newly promoted side I'd go with that.

I'd also play close and Naylor after last night.

Nice problems to have.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Jack_Tinn »

if you were Tranmere that result vs B'ham was not really what you wanted.

You might have hoped that Pompey were turned over by Championship opposition having lost to Shrewsbury so that the players were nervous on Saturday and the crowd might be quick to show their frustration. Now, confidence has been restored, the fans are bouyant and willing to put Shrewsbury down to opening day nerves and Harrison in particular will be full of confidence.

Tranmere will be making the long journey now thinking that they are making the long trip for their first L1 away game and having to face one of the best sides in the division - which has successfully debuted many of their new players already - and are full of confidence having just put a Championship club out of the League Cup