Selection Dilemma For Sunderland?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 56 times

Selection Dilemma For Sunderland?

Post by Jack_Tinn »

KJ has picked the same team for the last two games and may be tempted to do so again vs Sunderland since the team produced two wins and five goals (none conceded)

However, Harrison come off at half time for Marquis, Bolton and Raggett are fully fit and McCrorie is another option in midfield.

I think Marquis has to start this game and Harrison should be on the bench to add some pace and hussle later in the game.

I have not seen Bolton play yet so I would expect Walkes to start for continuity reasons as much as anything but it will be very interesting because if Bolton starts this game then that would look to me to be a clear message that he's first choice at RB for the rest of the season.

I thought Raggett would be the preferred centre back partner for Downing but Burgess has played well whilst he has been injured and I would play the hot hand at Sunderland and leave Raggett on the bench. Perhaps not the game to be introducing a new defender into the back four following two clean sheets. So Walkes and Burgess for me for continuity reasons as much as anything.

In midfield I would want to start McCrorie. He played in both old firm games and he can handle the big occasion (notwithstanding his sending off at Shrewsbury on opening day which I am willing to put down to over exuberance!). I'd want his size and strength in midfield against Sunderland and Naylor keeps his place too - so one of Close or Cannon drops to the bench - tough call that one. I'd be happy with either but if I had to plump for one that I think Close stays in the team because I couldn't face telling him that he's on the bench following two games when he has scored a great goal from outside the box.

I think given his injury history in the last six months it might not be the worse decision for Cannon to be on the bench for this game and then come on in the 2nd half at Sunderland and perhaps start on Tuesday night refreshed vs Coventry.

So I'd keep the 4-3-3 (which is actually more like a 4-1-2-2-1) formation and have Naylor shield the back four and McCrorie and Close in midfield and have Curtis and Harness play narrow ahead of them with Marquis through the middle. Harrison, Cannon, Bolton, Pittman, Raggett, Williams and Bass on the bench for me vs Sunderland

What is your starting xi?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Selection Dilemma For Sunderland?

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I think that KJ will start McCrorie in place of Close and Marquis for Harrison, and indeed he has hinted as much in interviews this week. Cannon's selection situation is an interesting one, but I thought that he was excellent last Saturday, and I hope that he gets at least an hour, with either Pitman, Evans or Close coming on, depending on the state of the game. If McCrorie gets booked, which is very possible, I would replace him with Close immediately to avoid another sending off. I would start with Walkes and Burgess, but I have not seen the squad in training, so whatever KJ decides is fine with me.

Is Ryan Williams fit to be on the bench yet?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:59 pm KJ has picked the same team for the last two games and may be tempted to do so again vs Sunderland since the team produced two wins and five goals (none conceded)

However, Harrison come off at half time for Marquis, Bolton and Raggett are fully fit and McCrorie is another option in midfield.

I think Marquis has to start this game and Harrison should be on the bench to add some pace and hussle later in the game.

I have not seen Bolton play yet so I would expect Walkes to start for continuity reasons as much as anything but it will be very interesting because if Bolton starts this game then that would look to me to be a clear message that he's first choice at RB for the rest of the season.

I thought Raggett would be the preferred centre back partner for Downing but Burgess has played well whilst he has been injured and I would play the hot hand at Sunderland and leave Raggett on the bench. Perhaps not the game to be introducing a new defender into the back four following two clean sheets. So Walkes and Burgess for me for continuity reasons as much as anything.

In midfield I would want to start McCrorie. He played in both old firm games and he can handle the big occasion (notwithstanding his sending off at Shrewsbury on opening day which I am willing to put down to over exuberance!). I'd want his size and strength in midfield against Sunderland and Naylor keeps his place too - so one of Close or Cannon drops to the bench - tough call that one. I'd be happy with either but if I had to plump for one that I think Close stays in the team because I couldn't face telling him that he's on the bench following two games when he has scored a great goal from outside the box.

I think given his injury history in the last six months it might not be the worse decision for Cannon to be on the bench for this game and then come on in the 2nd half at Sunderland and perhaps start on Tuesday night refreshed vs Coventry.

So I'd keep the 4-3-3 (which is actually more like a 4-1-2-2-1) formation and have Naylor shield the back four and McCrorie and Close in midfield and have Curtis and Harness play narrow ahead of them with Marquis through the middle. Harrison, Cannon, Bolton, Pittman, Raggett, Williams and Bass on the bench for me vs Sunderland

What is your starting xi?
Blimey, I pretty much 100% agree with every single bit of that! Well, in fact, I do 100% agree with it. I'm almost certain he'll start Marquis, but dropping Close will be very unpopular with many Pompey fans, and probably the player himself. However, the weakest part of his game is his strength and tackling. It suits Ben when we are in control and have the lion's share of possession, not something we will probably have the luxury of tomorrow. Eventually I suspect our settled back four will become Brown, Downing, Raggett and Bolton. I feel for Walkes if that is the case as he has never really been given a long run in any position. PS I'll take the draw right now if offered, but wouldn't be overly surprised if we went and nicked it.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

What would be my starting 11, the same as last Saturday. I certainly wouldn't be dropping Cannon or Close, Cannon was outstanding & Close was excellent & is our leading scorer in 2019! If we want to win the game they both have to start.
richisbradders
Alan Knight
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richisbradders »

pompeygunner wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:04 am What would be my starting 11, the same as last Saturday. I certainly wouldn't be dropping Cannon or Close, Cannon was outstanding & Close was excellent & is our leading scorer in 2019! If we want to win the game they both have to start.
I agree, McCrorie did nothing at Shrewsbury to warrant taking closes position.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

Just one change Marquis in for Harrison
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I appreciate hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Jack and I were spot on about McCrorie I am afraid. He should have started. Close was missing in action today, but I kind of knew he would be.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Selsey Bill wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:32 pm I appreciate hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Jack and I were spot on about McCrorie I am afraid. He should have started. Close was missing in action today, but I kind of knew he would be.
I did say before the seson started that we are going to need markedly different home and away teams. Although, I would modify that to cover teams that play us at their home ground as if they were playing at FP.
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

Selsey Bill wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:32 pm I appreciate hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Jack and I were spot on about McCrorie I am afraid. He should have started. Close was missing in action today, but I kind of knew he would be.
I thought he was very impressive when he came on - albeit against a tiring Sunderland side - but the biggest compliment I can pay him is that for the time he was on the pitch the other Pompey players were feeding him the ball. Contrast Evans who was brought on to play wide left in a 4-4-2 and was anonymous (and out of position)

If the Sunderland game shows anything it is that McCrorie should be starting the game in midfield vs Coventry and Blackpool and Close is perhaps unlucky to lose out but he will get playing time.

I think the game also shows we could really do with a wide player (left or right) who likes to hug the touchline and would help to give us width and pull opposition defenders wide causing gaps through the middle. We could also do with a right back that can cross (sorry Walkes but your passing and crossing needs some serious work) and Curtis needs some time on the practice field to work on his set piece delivery too

otherwise we look like a decent side and Harness in particular had an excellent game
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Jack_Tinn wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:29 am
I think the game also shows we could really do with a wide player (left or right) who likes to hug the touchline and would help to give us width and pull opposition defenders wide causing gaps through the middle.
Ryan Williams?
Jack_Tinn
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Jack_Tinn »

who knows about Williams. He has missed pre-season so you'd expect him to be playing catch up for quite a while.

Its' a daily race at the moment between Williams and Morris to see who can get to the physio room the earliest.... I think the team desperately needs some width