The Doom & Gloom Cafe

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: The Doom & Gloom Cafe

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:01 pm I'm usually quite relaxed when it comes to these sorts of issues and would rather give managers the time to turn things around but you have to think with the squad we currently have that on paper this year was a great opportunity to get promoted.

I worry how many of this squad will leave at the end of the season and we'll be in a worse place next season. I think that what swings it for me is that despite us having some real bad form the last few months that the underlying issues have been there for a lot longer.

Despite a strong season last year KJ has shown time and time again that tactically he just doesn't have it right on too many occasions and even now I don't think he knows his best team. I say rip the plaster off now and get someone else in while there is still a chance to salvage the season.

Opinions?
For me, the Southend away game last season summed it up and should have signalled the end for KJ. From January onwards the form wasn't great, the Checkatrade masked it I think.

Give him the sack, get in someone like Nigel Clough (Appleton was my first choice) asap.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

... and chips wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:11 pm How the hell do you spend the summer signing players, have a pre-season, and still be experimenting with the team this far into the season?
1. You don't know what you're doing

2. You don't know what you're doing

3. You don't know what you're doing
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Well, a 0-0 bore draw at home to Gillingham, a team actually performing worse than us which followed a criminal robbery in Doncaster.
England beat by the Czech Republic and , OK, its the 1st defeat in qualifying in a decade and, OK, even the best teams get beat by the middle of the pack in Europe from time to time.....but the nature of the defeat, the gawdawful defence and a lack of football in midfield, screams business as usual for the Euros...kicked out by the first decent team faced.

Also The Bungles are 0-5

I'll take an Ecuadorian Arabica Robusta with cream please. Up the revolution.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

.....and it rained!
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

The wretched 0-0 draw with Gillingham yesterday brought all our problems into fuil focus. Someone once said that managers stand or fall by their recruitment and Jackett's record in that respect is poor. From last season we have lost Clarke, Thompson, Lowe and Curtis. Curtis is effectively lost because for some reason he is a pale shadow of the player he once was and shows no signs of a revival. None of these key players have been effectively replaced - their replacements are in most regards sadly lacking e.g. Downing a key centre half now apparently written off by Jackett and replaced by Raggett who has a lot to learn. Bolton, whllst a good young player for the future, with nowhere near the same tigerish defensive and attacking skills of Nathan Thompson. Lowe is a real loss in many ways with Harness, probably the best recruit of a poor bunch, a clever players but not the same threat.
Given that Jackett has no idea how to utilise Marquis's obvious goal scoring ability and Harrison is like a bull in a china shop, we have few goal scoring capabilities.
The mystery for me is why Jackett is so keen on Close rather than giving Cannon a good run in the side from the off. I would like to have an analysis of Close's passing - it seem to be very square all the time, with very few through balls thus slowing down the pace of attack and nullifying Marquis in particular.
OldSpice
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 32 times

Post by OldSpice »

streetrifle wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:45 am The wretched 0-0 draw with Gillingham yesterday brought all our problems into fuil focus. Someone once said that managers stand or fall by their recruitment and Jackett's record in that respect is poor. From last season we have lost Clarke, Thompson, Lowe and Curtis. Curtis is effectively lost because for some reason he is a pale shadow of the player he once was and shows no signs of a revival. None of these key players have been effectively replaced - their replacements are in most regards sadly lacking e.g. Downing a key centre half now apparently written off by Jackett and replaced by Raggett who has a lot to learn. Bolton, whllst a good young player for the future, with nowhere near the same tigerish defensive and attacking skills of Nathan Thompson. Lowe is a real loss in many ways with Harness, probably the best recruit of a poor bunch, a clever players but not the same threat.
Given that Jackett has no idea how to utilise Marquis's obvious goal scoring ability and Harrison is like a bull in a china shop, we have few goal scoring capabilities.
The mystery for me is why Jackett is so keen on Close rather than giving Cannon a good run in the side from the off. I would like to have an analysis of Close's passing - it seem to be very square all the time, with very few through balls thus slowing down the pace of attack and nullifying Marquis in particular.
I am very much a 'glass half full' person, but I have to say that I am struggling to disagree with anything you say.

I was so optimistic after all the summer signings and it beats me why we are performing so badly. I sincerely hope that Kenny can pull it all together asap and launch us up the division where a squad of our quality should be.
PUP
PUP
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

We are a gloomy lot. I was at the Gillingham game. We played a lot of good football. But we had spells where once we gained possession we made a lot of safe passes before moving forward. Perhaps some of it was due to the defensive formation of our opponents to whom we often give little credit. Clearly, if we did have a high quality creative and energetic midfielder it would make a big difference.
If you look carefully at the table you can see things are not as bad as they might appear. There are a lot of “ifs”. But look where Coventry are. If we hadn’t dropped those points, nicked a result against Gillingham (which we had a chance to do in the last few seconds) had played and beaten Southend - how different things would look. Last season, luck was on our side for a long time. This season, it hasn’t been. We have many good players. They do their best. What we should be doing is giving them our support and give them time to gel. We can pass final judgement at the end of the season. On the other hand, if lose several in a row ...... Stop rambling it’s time for my daily tipple.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

gnnnaaarrr.
Points dropped at the end again.
I'll take a crappuchino and a Pompey Defence Donut....its got a big hole at the end.
Div III. Call it what it is.