NFL Thread

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Re: NFL Thread

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Thats Rich wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:45 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:51 pm Ok, Cincinnati, NY Giants, SF 49ers, Dallarse, Arizona Cards and Winslett if he's still around is a Detroit Lions fan.

Anyone else?....thought we had a Packer fan
Yes we do Cinci - that will be me. Superbowl winners in the year of my birth. Hate the Go Pack Go chant. Love the way they go to training with all the kids and the bikes. Well worth a view with some of those hulking linemen on kiddies bikes.

Expect it to be a weird season ending up with a strange Superbowl such as Browns v Cowboys.
Yeah...if I had a choice in the matter I'd be a Steelers or a Packers fan. Steelers because they compete every year and the Pack....well, its a very small town that sells out each game and there seems to be a generation waiting list for season tickets and I think they are still fan owned? there's only 100k people in town yet 82k fill up that field for the game.
Div III. Call it what it is.
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

[quote]Oh USPF how I have 'missed' you...[quote] Missed you too TTNY, but I don't come on the board too often nowadays.

[quote]When Josh Rosen fails to beat out Ryan Fitzpatrick in Miami, I don't think it's fair to point for the finger at us for moving on from him.[quote] Brett Favre took a couple of years to settle from College to the NFL, as did Peyton Manning and quite a few others. Josh Rosen was groomed for the NFL and would have fared much better at college had UCLA had a better offensive line themselves. He is still on a comparatively cheap salary compared to most QBs, so giving him second string to start the season isn't a big surprise as he gets to know the Miami system better - they play very differently from AZ and Miami may have a long term plan in place for him.

[quote]Will Murray be a hit or 'awful', who honestly knows but I think it's a little harsh to call him awful based on one pre-season game. He won the Heisman and he fits well with our (presumably also awful) new coach. Can hardly blame us for taking him. Are you suggesting we should have kept Rosen? [quote]

The Cardinals have an issue in their back-room staff and dropping new coach's as fast as rookie QBs is just as big an error. Don't forget I live here and have been shown every play umpteen times on various channels as this city is awaiting their new star. Murray seems to be like several recent College QBs who have never met the hype in recent years. I believe they need to develop under an older pro for a year or 2 (think college baseball and the MLB farm system). By the way, it has been 1 good and 2 bad pre season games.... plus I have gotten to see plenty of practice prior to these on local tv too.

[quote]I'm interested to know why don't you rate Murray? Specifically... [quote] hope above covers it. I struggle with all rookie QBs being sent in too early.

[quote]Will we win the division? Of course not. Will we go 8-8, doubt it. Will we go 3-13 again? Possibly.[quote] I have you down for 4-12 to be fair, like last year.

[quote]Anything better than 4-12 I'll be very happy to be honest, but most importantly I'll be happy if we actually look competitive in games this season. Last season was so depressing watching games (such as away to Rams) were you knew from the first drive we weren't even close to competing.[quote] Reality is settling in for the season out here. I will get to at least 1 game in State Farm Stadium this season and will send photos of that day... I have the Dodgers on Sunday at Chase Field though :-)
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

New Forester wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:32 pm I used to follow Dallas Cowboys. Now I have to keep an eye on Texas A&M Aggies in college football. My son in law went to the University and is a keen fan. And naturally he now also follows Pompey. I have family in Dallas, New York, Las Vegas and Los Angeles so I do have other options!

No idea who will be the front runners this season.
My (new) son in law has created a new interest for me! The Aggies won their first match of the season 41-7 last night. He flew in a private plane with friends to watch. I was content to see the highlights on the internet today.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

And we're off!
Pack beat Da Bears in Chicago 10-3

btw, in case you didn't know its the NFL's 100th season.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Not quite halfway but the soccerball is dull so, an NFL Update for y'all

Cincinnati
0-7, no play off wins in almost 30 yrs in a 4 team division containing the Browns, gone from awful to fairly competitive to terrible. Maybe I should leave town. I got here 30 yrs ago. It could be my fault
NY Giants
2-5 Also awful
SF 49ers
6-0 Look like a real team. Hey, beat the redskins 9-0 in the ugliest game ever....that says something
Dallarse
4-3. They ar going to fight it out with the Eagles in the division
Arizona Cards
3-3. Not bad but when yer in the division with the 6-0 49ers and the 5-2 Seahawks its tough
Steelers
2-4. Got rid of Captain Whiner at least but it hasn't done much on the field for them
Detroit Lions
2-3, bottom of the division and like Arizona , are stuck in a division with 6-1 Pack and 5-2 Minnesota
GB Packers
6-1 NFC contenders fer sure. Especially as the cold weather will be here soon and no-one likes to play there oop north in the winter
Buffalo Bills
5-1, giving the 6-0 Patricheats something to think about

Kids Super Duper Bowl picks. Pack / 49ers vs New England. Brady wins again and shuffles off with the trophy to his supermodel Mrs who makes more $$$$$ than he does. Tough life
This Time Next Year
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 1 time

Post by This Time Next Year »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:36 pm Not quite halfway but the soccerball is dull so, an NFL Update for y'all
Arizona Cards
3-3. Not bad but when yer in the division with the 6-0 49ers and the 5-2 Seahawks its tough
:shock: Can't believe you're sleeping on our hard won tie with the Lions there! 3-3-1 :lol: , and already a better season than last year thanks to that tie. :thumb

You've got it bang on about the tough division, still got 5 division games to play, and those games are really making the remaining schedule look tough. The fact you've listed the two top teams, and didn't even mention the (admittedly hungover) Superbowl playing Rams says it all really.

As I said previously, not expecting play-offs this year, but at least watching Kyler develop as a very promising rookie, is way better than the Sam Bradford / Josh Rosen / Mike McCoy / Steve Wilks dross that left me wondering if GamePass was worth it last season.