Team for tonight

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Team for tonight

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:32 am
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:42 pm Might have been different if one of those early chances had gone in, but at least it wasn't the drubbing I feared it might be.
Their biggest win at Fratton Park, I'd say 0-4 was a drubbing. They outplayed us totally after the first 20 minutes.
I didn't say it wasn't a drubbing, just not the drubbing I'd feared. Sure 0-4 is bad, but I'd not have been surprised had it been 0-6 or 0-7 and that really would have been hard to swallow.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Did any of you really expect us to win? They are a premier league team, we are a LEAGUE ONE team, which a lot of people seem to forget when they criticise our players for not being world beaters. Sometimes a dose of reality is a good thing, they completely outplayed us because they have better players
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by New Forester »

It is a simple fact that many Saints players cost more than the entire Pompey squad. Pompey had no luck last night. If they had, the result would have been closer.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

New Forester wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 am It is a simple fact that many Saints players cost more than the entire Pompey squad. Pompey had no luck last night. If they had, the result would have been closer.
All true however Colchester (league below us) beat Spurs (Champions League finalists) last night, so it can be done with better organisation and tactics (and yes, some luck). Even if we had scored in the first 20 mins I'm sure they would have won comfortably, we simply are not very good at the moment.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

PakefieldBlue wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:29 am
New Forester wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 am It is a simple fact that many Saints players cost more than the entire Pompey squad. Pompey had no luck last night. If they had, the result would have been closer.
All true however Colchester (league below us) beat Spurs (Champions League finalists) last night, so it can be done with better organisation and tactics (and yes, some luck). Even if we had scored in the first 20 mins I'm sure they would have won comfortably, we simply are not very good at the moment.
So colchester result means we are crap??? Seriously??
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

portchesterblue wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:36 am
The Colchester result surely shows that it isn't inevitable that a Premier League team will beat a lower league team simply because they have more money and better players. Whilst the odds were against us last night, it was possible to make it a closer game than it ended up being. That would have been possible with better team management, in my opinion.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

PakefieldBlue wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:50 am
The Colchester result surely shows that it isn't inevitable that a Premier League team will beat a lower league team simply because they have more money and better players. Whilst the odds were against us last night, it was possible to make it a closer game than it ended up being. That would have been possible with better team management, in my opinion.
Of course there was a chance, history shows that, but the higher league team has to play badly, like Tottenham did. We had chances but didnt take them, they had chances and did, why? Because they have better players.
You cant write off our players based on getting beaten but a team of internationals, and spurs playing ***** against a league 2 team
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight

Post by PakefieldBlue »

portchesterblue wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:01 pm
PakefieldBlue wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:50 am
Of course there was a chance, history shows that, but the higher league team has to play badly, like Tottenham did. We had chances but didnt take them, they had chances and did, why? Because they have better players.
You cant write off our players based on getting beaten but a team of internationals, and spurs playing ***** against a league 2 team
I get what you are saying and agree that it is unfair to expect league one players to be as technically good as premier league players. However my point was more aimed at team management, which, if better, could have made it a closer game. There were things obvious to me that needed changing which could have helped e.g. instructing Naylor to plug the gap between defence and midfield which was increasingly growing as the game went on, to substitute Curtis, to make subs earlier when players were noticeably tiring. But I guess we have a league one manager not a premier league manager!
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Mickemo »

I wasn't at the game, nor did I watch on TV however I have watched a fair few of our games this season.

FWIW my view of the current situation - it appears that KJ:-

a) doesn't know his best 11 b) has his favourites c) has personality conflicts with certain players d) doesn't play players in their best positions
e) is not willing to adjust team formation best suited to players at his disposal f) unable to see when changes need to be made mid game even when glaringly obvious (see point e)

Shall I go on......?

Unless results improve over next 4 or 5 weeks i can see Mr Jackett needing to seek employment elsewhere.

BTW to be clear I'm not calling to sack the manager at this point in time, nor is my critique of KJ a knee jerk reaction to recent results. It has to be said that we've been pretty **y** in 2019 (bar a 7 game run towards end of last season)

I really hope that we go on a 6 game winning run and KJ (& the lads) prove me well & truly wrong

PUP !