Greetings!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Devonian_Saintsfan
Collins Mbesuma

Greetings!

Post by Devonian_Saintsfan »

Greetings from down the road. I know there's no love lost between our two cities but I must say as someone who grew up in Devon and has lived in Southampton for twenty years, the level of vitriol between some fans (from both sides I might add) does my head in. I guess it's hard for me to understand it as a bit of an outsider but it's a shame, as at times it puts me off watching football. There's nothing wrong with football banter, goes with the sport but this has been taken to a very toxic level. Why can't people just get along?

It's a real shame as to me Portsmouth is a great city and has a lot going for it. It has a much better coastline than Southampton for one, and I guess I appreciate this more because of where I'm from, however, it'll never beat the Devon coastline! :-) Southampton also, believe it or not has a lot going for it too, and like Portsmouth it has stuff the other city doesn't have, I can't see Portsmouth ever being as green and having as low a population density as Southampton put it that way. :-) But again that makes Portsmouth a more walkable city, I guess it just depends what you want.

I've always had a soft spot for Exeter City, so I'm a Grecian I guess but it was Saints that truely got me into football. Some might argue that makes me a bit plastic but I must say I'd find that quite offensive as at times I've literally lived and breathed football here.

And what's all this inbred nonsense? Both sets of fans seem to hark on about it but I'll bet there's plenty of related people between the two cities. In fact, people who come from coastal families are actually a lot less likely to be inbred than people from landlocked towns or cities.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Greetings!

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Welcome. I suspect, for the most part, you're preaching to the converted here. Of course, that may just be because most of us are fossilised skates that don't have the energy for anything more strenuous :lol: