Your most memorable sport days?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Your most memorable sport days?

Post by Sam_Brown »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 pm The best atmosphere ever was the Checkatrade final, all 3 of my sons with me.
Absolutely #1 for me in my life so far. FA Cup 2008 and Spurs in 2010 Semi were both great but nothing beats the Checkatrade final for me for pure drama and atmosphere. The 15 minutes or so leading up to our equaliser in the second half the Pompey fans were unreal. Never seen or felt anything like it since or before.

Some great mentions in this topic though. Forgot about Goran winning Wimbledon. I was only a nipper at the time and had the Monday off school ill otherwise I'd have missed it. IIRC didn't he enter Wimbledon that year so he could spend his winnings on giving a family member treatment for cancer?

Cricket World Cup final was alright as well...
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: Your most memorable sport days?

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Selsey Bill wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:47 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 pm The best atmosphere ever was the Checkatrade final, all 3 of my sons with me.
:thumb :thumb :thumb
Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:04 pm Outside of football, there was a 40-over Sunday game at Northlands Road, Gordon Greenidge hit over 200 that day, I would have been mid-teens at the time, and I just remember being awe-struck, knowing I was watching a true master at work.
Talking of Gordon Greenidge, once watched him and Barry Richards open in a John Player Special match at the May's Bounty, Basingstoke, one Sunday in the 70's. The South African scored a ton in what felt like about 5 minutes and then was promptly out the following ball. Such a GREAT batsman. That same day, remember speaking with Malcolm Marshall behind the ropes for about 5 minutes - such a lovely bloke. The Hampshire cricket team back then were the dogs doolies.
I'm more of a mid-80s man, as far as Hampshire were concerned. I went to lots of 40-over Sunday games, initially JPS League, then the sponsor became Refuge Insurance (I think). I spent a lot of Sundays at Northlands Road, all the players were happy to talk to kids like me, I had all their autographs too.

Years later, I remember taking my kids to school, walking out of the gate as another bloke walked in, and I remember thinking to myself that he looked an awful lot like Rajesh Maru. Turns out, there was a reason why he looked like Rajesh Maru. His daughter was in the same year as one of my sons. Later again, in the couple of seasons I spent playing cricket, Raj's son played for the same team.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour