Preferred team against Gillingham

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Preferred team against Gillingham

Post by Weybridge »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:07 pm What's that then? Three wins and a draw from the last four? Two draws if you count the game that we won on penalties as being a draw.

I guess more importantly than the score is the performance. How did we play?

BBC suggests 69% possession and 12 shots so a case of not taking our chances when we had them? Gillingham only one on target so sounds like the defence did ok.

Would be good to get some feedback from someone at the game.
Looks like they kicked us up in the air for 90 minutes too.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

I was able to view it in Spain on iFollow...I won't bore you with the details, just bullet points:
  • Face it, Pompey are a poor side. Even if we had Klopp as manager they wouldn't be promotion material
    Was a rugged match but we dished it out as well...good to see
    Gills came for draw and got it...we couldn't find a way to penetrate
    Pitman was way off and should not have been playing
    Marquis replaced him...and shouldn't have been playing. He is sooo ineffectual. petulant and seems to run into all the wrong places!
    Cannon replaced Close and was much more effective...full of running, tenacious and tackles.
    The defence was very good and actually played as a unit...unlike the rest of the team
    Bass did the business as required
    Lucky to get a goalless draw
It's going to be a long, frustrating season unless we can pick up at least two super midfielders and one goalscorer (oh, and a decent Manager!!? 8)
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

started the game well , had we kept it up we'd have won but Gillingham parked the bus and we had no clue, we were too slow and pedestrian always choosing to go back if possible. Raggett hit the inside of the post and Harrison had a few shots but generally never looked like scoring. Bass was a spectator for most of the game. We had nothing in midfield until Cannon came on, Williams came on got plenty of the ball but no end result, most corners sailed over everyone, it was quite depressing but not as bad as Bolton so some improvement
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I was there, and for it it's worth, I don't think we played too badly. You couldn't fault our players for endeavour, apart from Pitman who was awful. We were by far the better team and should have won at a canter. If one of our chances had gone in it would have completely changed the complexion of the game as they would have been forced to come out. As it is, they pretty much played 6 at the back and KJ did nothing to counter that. We were boring and predictable, and why KJ sticks with Close is beyond me, especially at home. Either Cannon or McCrorie (who I realise was unavailable) would be far superior options. What is blatantly obvious is we have no proper number 10 or playmaker in our side. I do however think we should play Harness in that role as he is our only creative player. If we want to beat Wimbledon on Saturday we should play this seam, simples:

Big Mac
Bolton Raggett Burgess Brown
Naylor Cannon
Williams Harness Curtis
Marquis

Unfortunately Jackett will start with Close, Pitman and Evans
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

Selsey Bill wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm
However, this is the team I reckon Jackett will put out:

Bass
Bolton - Burgess - Raggett - Brown
Evans - Naylor - Close - Harness
Pitman - Harrison
What did I say?! :roll:
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

eltorrro wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:28 pm I was able to view it in Spain on iFollow...I won't bore you with the details, just bullet points:
  • Face it, Pompey are a poor side. Even if we had Klopp as manager they wouldn't be promotion material
    Was a rugged match but we dished it out as well...good to see
    Gills came for draw and got it...we couldn't find a way to penetrate
    Pitman was way off and should not have been playing
    Marquis replaced him...and shouldn't have been playing. He is sooo ineffectual. petulant and seems to run into all the wrong places!
    Cannon replaced Close and was much more effective...full of running, tenacious and tackles.
    The defence was very good and actually played as a unit...unlike the rest of the team
    Bass did the business as required
    Lucky to get a goalless draw
It's going to be a long, frustrating season unless we can pick up at least two super midfielders and one goalscorer (oh, and a decent Manager!!? 8)
Totally agree about Marquis. I don't rate him at all but I hope he proves me wrong.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager

Post by Selsey Bill »

I do actually rate Marquis and think he could still end up our top goalscorer. He scored 21 league goals from 44 performances last season, almost one every other game. He can't just become useless overnight. Jackett just doesn't set the team up right for him and he ends up getting ZERO service.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

and drifts out onto the wing to try and get the ball