Southend

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Southend

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Leaving in about an hour to pick up son and on to the match, and hoping for a good performance.

The journey back always seems much longer if we have played badly! I live in hope that Harness might come on at some point to play behind the striker, but I can't see it happening, especially as Pitman is apparently now fit again.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Re: Southend

Post by blue architect »

I dont think we will see either Harness or Pitman tonight. We have a fit Evans who will always get the nod over these two. Gawd knows why!
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

BBC saying postponed.....no reason yet?
Living in exile thinking Blue
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by FatBlueAde »

.........that said maybe not, radio coverage saying it may or may not.

Mysteriouser & mysteriouser.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Sky Sports scrolling screen says it is postponed too??
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Now it says nothing about a postponement. Confused.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by FatBlueAde »

Radii, confirmed definitely on 🙂
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

4 - 1 at 86 minutes in front of over 16k fans
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I wonder how many didn't get there because BBC/Sky we're suggesting it was postponed?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

From what I understand the beeb just hadn't updated the original fixture on their website-shocking!
Anyway, a win is a win and you have to beat whoever is put in front of you. Southend, however, are an extremely poor side and I can only assume they dragged us down to their level in the first half. It was woeful. Sol Campbell must be wondering what he has taken on because it is going to take him a miracle to keep them up. Not sure it was the right decision for him to take this on as it may severely damage his stock.
Other brief observations from the game: Haunstrup, Harness & Harrison should be starting. Haunstrup is a far better player than Brown, Harness made a massive difference when he came on and Harrison is our best striker. He's currently our top scorer having only started in about half our games. Curtis again was very good - if only some of our other players could show his determination and passion. I can't for the life of me see what Jackett sees in Close. He's fine with the ball at his feet, though nowhere near direct enough, but the amount of tackles he pussies out on in every game is significant. What does Cannon have to do to get in the side? On the subject of Close's position, I'd also play McCrorie ahead of him in that role. I hope he is OK as he was looking very good going forward before he got injured. I felt for Bass - their goal was an absolute howler from him. Hopefully, he'll learn from it as otherwise he was good, making a very good save when it was 0-0. And finally for now, FFS have your penalty taker sorted before the game starts. That spat between Marquis and Curtis, followed up with Harisson takiing the ball from both of them was embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as Gallen admitting after the game that they hadn't designated anyone to take spot kicks. That to me is criminal from a club at our level. As someone else has said somewhere, if we hadn't conceded those late late goals in our last three league matches we'd be right up in the top 6 (maybe even 4th?) with a game in hand, so it is still all to play for as this league is nowhere near as strong as it has been for the last two years.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:40 am From what I understand the beeb just hadn't updated the original fixture on their website-shocking!
Anyway, a win is a win and you have to beat whoever is put in front of you. Southend, however, are an extremely poor side and I can only assume they dragged us down to their level in the first half. It was woeful. Sol Campbell must be wondering what he has taken on because it is going to take him a miracle to keep them up. Not sure it was the right decision for him to take this on as it may severely damage his stock.
Other brief observations from the game: Haunstrup, Harness & Harrison should be starting. Haunstrup is a far better player than Brown, Harness made a massive difference when he came on and Harrison is our best striker. He's currently our top scorer having only started in about half our games. Curtis again was very good - if only some of our other players could show his determination and passion. I can't for the life of me see what Jackett sees in Close. He's fine with the ball at his feet, though nowhere near direct enough, but the amount of tackles he pussies out on in every game is significant. What does Cannon have to do to get in the side? On the subject of Close's position, I'd also play McCrorie ahead of him in that role. I hope he is OK as he was looking very good going forward before he got injured. I felt for Bass - their goal was an absolute howler from him. Hopefully, he'll learn from it as otherwise he was good, making a very good save when it was 0-0. And finally for now, FFS have your penalty taker sorted before the game starts. That spat between Marquis and Curtis, followed up with Harisson takiing the ball from both of them was embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as Gallen admitting after the game that they hadn't designated anyone to take spot kicks. That to me is criminal from a club at our level. As someone else has said somewhere, if we hadn't conceded those late late goals in our last three league matches we'd be right up in the top 6 (maybe even 4th?) with a game in hand, so it is still all to play for as this league is nowhere near as strong as it has been for the last two years.
Agree with all of that. Southend were truly awful with no confidence, but having said that, they could and should have gone one up before we scored, with Bass making a good stop. Our second goal looked very offside, but Harrison deserved his two goals. He gave their defenders a really hard time.

One other thing, the team sheet before the game showed us as 442 with Harrison and Marquis up front, but Marquis spent large parts of the game closer to our back four than he was to Harrison and not playing just off him to pick up the numerous headers and flick ons that Harrison won during his battle with their central defenders. However to be fair Marquis was in position and got in front of his marker well to score our first.
blue architect
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by blue architect »

I thought Marquis played very well. He was my Man of the Match. Agree that the gap between him and Harrison was extended at times but Marquis played a good number 10 role and started to control midfield and playing deeper made passes which opened up their defence. I'm sure he looked at it as "these are the through balls which you lot should be passing to me - take note". Harrison won just about everything in the air but perhaps more anticipation from our wide players for the flick on could compensate for Marquis being a play maker deeper? Maybe utilise William's speed with Harness??
THE TRICORN - BRUTAL ARCHITECTURE
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Harrison was my MoM, thought he was excellent. Marquis played well in the no.10 role-very involved. All in all a pleasing evening, we created loads & scored 4 & played some very decent football on the deck. Ok Southend were pitiful but you can only beat whats in ft of you. So happy to say well done KJ & the team.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

pompeygunner wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm So happy to say well done KJ & the team.
I've been critical of KJ and his team recently, especially with regards to his team selection and substitutions or lack of them, but he has set the team up much better recently, and the big one for me last night is that KJ pretty much immediately brought on Harness when they pulled one back. Look what happened! Rather than trying to defend a lead we went for it and doubled our advantage instead.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:20 pm
pompeygunner wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:24 pm So happy to say well done KJ & the team.
I've been critical of KJ and his team recently, especially with regards to his team selection and substitutions or lack of them, but he has set the team up much better recently, and the big one for me last night is that KJ pretty much immediately brought on Harness when they pulled one back. Look what happened! Rather than trying to defend a lead we went for it and doubled our advantage instead.
True, although we made it safe only thanks to a debatable penalty decision. Had the ref not intervened, I wouldn't like to imagine how long it would have stayed 2-1 with Harness or without him. Southend offered almost nothing in the second half but these days it only takes one shot on target to unhinge us.
I don't get carried away when we lose, nor when we win. This side can prove what it's capable of this month. We will see.