Leave or Remain (No, not Brexit)

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Leave or Remain (No, not Brexit)

Post by GreenBlue »

I realise that there would need to be multiple caveats attached to such a question i.e. capacity, location, timescale, cost, expansion possibility etc... but, if you had to decide based on a single binary question, which answer would you give to the following question?

Should Portsmouth FC remain at Fratton Park or leave Fratton Park?

a. Remain
b. Leave
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Leave or Remain (No, not Brexit)

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Leave
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

If all the caveats are taken out, then we are only left with nostalgia, so on those terms it has to be remain.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

Leave

FP is not a good location, unless the station transport link can be fixed and access completely redesigned. The club is absolutely right to be working on this. But the decision making and investment are, at least in part, totally reliant on other groups. I have serious doubts as to whether this will ever be achieved - hence Leave.

But I also have my doubts about Leave: where would we go? Horsea Island perhaps with a new link to the M275 and a station? Furze Lane but only with a new link road from the Eastern Road?

Both the above have real problems in terms of investment and planning: you can see why the club are taking so long to move this forward.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Heart says remain, head says leave
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Remain
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I love FP but do I want to spend a fair chunk of my remaining life watching as FP resembles a building site?

Leave.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by GreenBlue »

First visited Fratton Park as a kid in 1970 when my dad took me to the Hampshire Senior Cup Final (Waterlooville 3 - 1 Gosport). 49 years later I still love the old ground but...... it's leave for me. :(
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Leave or Remain is too simplistic...let's try and open it up a little!! For example, reading comments about FP it seems to me most people are concerned about:
Parking, Toilets, Uneven steps, catering, cramped seating...the list is probably longer but that will do.

So, the question now is..

Parking...supposing land was bought (including adjoining houses) and made into car parking?
Toilets...were increased, made more 'convenient' and hygienic?
Uneven steps...were made even/disposed of?
Catering...was greatly improved/more available/reasonable charges?
Cramped seating...with rebuilt ME and double decked NS..new wider and more comfortable seating?

....IF all that was accomplished (at a fraction of the cost of relocating)...Leave or Remain??...Interesting?? 8)
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

eltorrro wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:51 pm Leave or Remain is too simplistic...let's try and open it up a little!! For example, reading comments about FP it seems to me most people are concerned about:
Parking, Toilets, Uneven steps, catering, cramped seating...the list is probably longer but that will do.

So, the question now is..

Parking...supposing land was bought (including adjoining houses) and made into car parking?
Toilets...were increased, made more 'convenient' and hygienic?
Uneven steps...were made even/disposed of?
Catering...was greatly improved/more available/reasonable charges?
Cramped seating...with rebuilt ME and double decked NS..new wider and more comfortable seating?

....IF all that was accomplished (at a fraction of the cost of relocating)...Leave or Remain??...Interesting?? 8)
As I've said previously, a turd is a turd no matter how hard you polish it.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Leave for me.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

If you ever want to be a "big" club and be a prem fixture with a 40k attendance every week....well, sorry but you gotta move to the city's northern outskirts so it becomes easy to pull from a larger area. You need the Motorway and a station and some fat acreage to park and As far as I know, the northern part of the city is all there is. You can buy all the houses you want in Fratton but its still a pain to drive to from outside the city limits.
Cincinnati is a great example also restricted by water on 1 side and y'all have water on 3 sides. Built 2 new stadiums for baseball and the NFL....put them downtown ...and I don't go.
Div III. Call it what it is.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Does anyone here think that there is likely to be any interest from the owners in the sale of The Pompey Centre retail park? For those with more local knowledge than me - would there be scope to knockdown any of those properties and build a new stadium?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

PakefieldBlue wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:22 pm Does anyone here think that there is likely to be any interest from the owners in the sale of The Pompey Centre retail park? For those with more local knowledge than me - would there be scope to knockdown any of those properties and build a new stadium?
I heard a rumour earlier in the year that an option under consideration was bulldozing the B&Q there to build a new stadium. I even posted a 'you can do it' hint on this board. That would move the ground closer to Fratton station and would make sense of the new walkway/footbridge that is apparently being considered.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

No Shot Sherlock wrote:
PakefieldBlue wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:22 pm Does anyone here think that there is likely to be any interest from the owners in the sale of The Pompey Centre retail park? For those with more local knowledge than me - would there be scope to knockdown any of those properties and build a new stadium?
I heard a rumour earlier in the year that an option under consideration was bulldozing the B&Q there to build a new stadium. I even posted a 'you can do it' hint on this board. That would move the ground closer to Fratton station and would make sense of the new walkway/footbridge that is apparently being considered.
B&Q have 8 yrs left on their lease NSS.