Cup game v. Altrincham

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Cup game v. Altrincham

Post by streetrifle »

Will be interesting to see 1. what sort of team we put out (same team as Sat I suspect:, and what sort of crowd we get (suspect it will be of the order of 14K as its pretty cheap for season ticket holders and will attract a few more after Tuesday's performance).

It should be a must-win game given that it leads to a place in the 3rd round and potential of big pay day v. Premier League opposition. I wouldn't like to see a very long cup run and that surely distracts from the league and brings injuries and tiredness, as shown last season with the late emphasis on the Wembley appearance which IMO distracted us from the league situation.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Cup game v. Altrincham

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Jackett et al. will have a better idea about player fitness and tiredness/minor injuries, but these are the first team appearances this seasons for players who could justifiably be given a week off. Figures include substitute appearances, so not all numbers are of equal weight.

Marquis 21
Close 21
Naylor 20
Burgess 20
MacGillivray 18
Curtis 18
Harrison 17

Cannon, Harness, Raggett, Downing, Bolton and Pitman could all do with games.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I'm wondering if they will give Whatmough a 20 minute (or more) runout in this one, now he's back to full training. Probably still a fraction too early, but with the harder pitches in January it would be good to get him some match time.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I'd have thought Evans, Pitman, Cannon, Bolton, Downing will all start to get some games. Probably Bass as well.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:20 am I'm wondering if they will give Whatmough a 20 minute (or more) runout in this one, now he's back to full training. Probably still a fraction too early, but with the harder pitches in January it would be good to get him some match time.
He's about a week away from any competitive action so will probably be on the bench against Peterborough. So looking forward to seeing him back although with his injury record nervous too.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:20 am I'm wondering if they will give Whatmough a 20 minute (or more) runout in this one, now he's back to full training. Probably still a fraction too early, but with the harder pitches in January it would be good to get him some match time.
I really fear for Jack. One more bad injury and sadly his career will be over :(
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

According to Kenny " We won't be tampering with the line up too much"

I can see where he's coming from . Keep the winning habit and all that but I would also have thought giving the likes of Pitman , Cannon and Harness a few minutes out there would have been advantageous.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

In the end, just Harness in for Williams.

Another point of interest, I can't remember when I last saw a team line up 1-11 as Altrincham are today according to the BBC. Don't they have squad numbers? Or is someone guessing and they will actually not be numbered like this when they come out to play? I love the FA Cup.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

We scrape a win 2 - 1 with a goal in the last minute of extra Tim after playing rather poorly according to the commentary.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Time instead of Tim maybe!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

How to make life difficult. I was just looking at travel arrangements to Altrincham....
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

We made heavy weather of a game we were meant to be by far the better team. As the game wore on we played at their level and allowed them time on the ball. Strangely I wasn't surprised at the equalizer, but felt the ref during the whole game wanted the non-league side to get the better of us. Our passing and forward play generally looked way better in the game, but our defense weak.

Curtis wasn't bad till that howler almost cost us and I was surprised he was taken off. Good to see Pitman putting in effort again and it was a breath of relief when we finally got a decent corner in after 93 minutes.

For those that say we are looking upwards and onwards, keep drinking the Kool Aid...the wheels are wobbling again .
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:04 pm We made heavy weather of a game we were meant to be by far the better team. As the game wore on we played at their level and allowed them time on the ball. Strangely I wasn't surprised at the equalizer, but felt the ref during the whole game wanted the non-league side to get the better of us. Our passing and forward play generally looked way better in the game, but our defense weak.

Curtis wasn't bad till that howler almost cost us and I was surprised he was taken off. Good to see Pitman putting in effort again and it was a breath of relief when we finally got a decent corner in after 93 minutes.

For those that say we are looking upwards and onwards, keep drinking the Kool Aid...the wheels are wobbling again .
Maybe. It’s not unusual for bigger teams to struggle in the FA cup against smaller teams. For many of the Altrincham players this will have been the biggest game of their career to date. Ans it’s easy for the bigger teams to take their foot of the gas expecting an easy game. Yes it’s the managers responsibility to ensure that doesn’t happen but like I said not unusual. We’re at what now? Over two months without a loss? If we can play poorly and still win that’s still a good sign in some respects. Get the frustrations at the performance today and rightly deserved but too many on here are too pessimistic and quick to jump on the bandwagon.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Couldn't agree more, Sam. You'll never please some people.
Well done and goodbye Altrincham. Five wins in a row. In the hat for the 3rd round. Happy days.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:04 pm Curtis wasn't bad till that howler almost cost us and I was surprised he was taken off.
I identified upthread Curtis and Marquis as players who could justifiably be rested. The replacement of those two with Williams and Pitman looked like a pre-arranged plan.

Again, Hawkins almost (maybe should have, maybe not) given away a penalty; he can't keep hanging a leg out. He was only in that position because his starting point was so poor, lagging behind the rest of the defence. For all Jackett's words, and the paltry options, Hawkins does not look like a defender to me.