January transfer market

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

January transfer market

Post by streetrifle »

The News have been reporting that the club plan to go into the market and buy players to strengthen the side who are capable of going straight into the team rather than sitting on the bench, to fill key areas (or words to that effect). Presumably meaning a defender and a striker at the very least.
But the question is: given Jackett's poor record on recruitment in the summer (e.g. Downing, Bolton, Marquis, Raggett + Cannon who he seems to give up on, to name a few) who would trust him to make a good job of it again. I seem to remember we also have somebody full time on recruitment whose names escapes me, are his recommendations to be trusted again??
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Re: January transfer market

Post by Sam_Brown »

I feel sorry for Marquis. He's shown for years he's a great goal scorer. I think the issue is with how he is currently being used more than anything.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:55 am I feel sorry for Marquis. He's shown for years he's a great goal scorer. I think the issue is with how he is currently being used more than anything.

Me too!
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

streetrifle wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:26 am The News have been reporting that the club plan to go into the market and buy players to strengthen the side who are capable of going straight into the team rather than sitting on the bench, to fill key areas (or words to that effect). Presumably meaning a defender and a striker at the very least.
But the question is: given Jackett's poor record on recruitment in the summer (e.g. Downing, Bolton, Marquis, Raggett + Cannon who he seems to give up on, to name a few) who would trust him to make a good job of it again. I seem to remember we also have somebody full time on recruitment whose names escapes me, are his recommendations to be trusted again??
Phil Boardman is responsible for recruitment, SL. I have always felt that he is too young and generally too inexperienced. We should have someone with much better contacts in that key role. That said, it's Jackett that makes the final call.