MK Dons

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: MK Dons

Post by pompeygunner »

Dinksy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:44 pm
Selsey Bill wrote:
Dinksy wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 am
Keep the faith, oh flakies!
Hey Dinksy, with all due respect, if you knew me of old as other posters do on here, you'd know that I usually keep the faith much longer than most. Thus, I feel slightly offended at being called a flaky :wink:
No offence SB, or anyone.....but I also have been around a bit and seen this scenario so many times when we lose one or win one. Accrington and MK Dons were truly awful performances and lot of fans (5,000?) went to dismal MK on Sunday with false expectation having been built up on the back of the previous two results. But isn't that just typical of Pompey? I remember wanting to throw myself under a bus with the crushing disappointment I felt after we drew with Charlton at the Valley circa 1974 (Norman Piper popped up with an equaliser in the last minute and the place went bananas) only to crumble at home in the replay. Now I've got used to it. To survive being committed to a club is to forfeit some of the delirium and despair for more equanimity.
I know some fans would like to see Kenny jumping and down on the touchline like Cook used to but I take confidence in his calm, measured responses to both victory and defeat. Though we have passion, we could all do with a bit more perspective sometimes.
If we are not in at least a play-off spot come May, I promise to come back here and eat my words.
Jackett in!
Crikey I remember the Charlton games. I was beside myself after Hales & Flanagan ripped us to pieces in the replay in ft of 31,000. St John played a forward line of iirc McGuinness & Andy Stewart who were both 5 foot nothing. I was 17 & was absolutely gutted that night.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

This is Pompey in an average season. Good at home, but awful away. Years when we have achieved anything have been marked by a clear improvement in away form; home takes care of itself.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Who coming to Gillingham?
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Which Pompey team will turn up?
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

GreenBlue wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:38 pm Which Pompey team will turn up?
Interesting point.

A friend of mine was at the MK game and said that he thought that the team looked tired. He pointed out that it was virtually the same team that had just won two games against top teams in Div 1. Well, I suppose that the manager knows what he is doing in his team selection....?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

Anyone know why Harness was playing in the centre and not on the wing? He looked awful there: his usual immaculate touch deserted him.

Although the pace of the game was very slow, I thought we looked the better of two tired teams in a dull match until we conceded the first goal. Then we seemed to lose interest. The back header was a shocker from Raggett.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

<dj.> wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:44 pm Anyone know why Harness was playing in the centre and not on the wing? He looked awful there: his usual immaculate touch deserted him.

Although the pace of the game was very slow, I thought we looked the better of two tired teams in a dull match until we conceded the first goal. Then we seemed to lose interest. The back header was a shocker from Raggett.
Guy Whittingham on ifollow seemed to think that it was to match up with their formation, although I found it hard to understand why we would want to do that and not play the way we play at home. KJ has now played Harness on the left and in the centre, and it seems that at this stage of his career at least, he is far more comfortable and dangerous on the right.

It always worries me when managers mess with formations that the players are used to, especially in the lower leagues.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:29 am Dreadful ! Glad I stayed in the stadium hotel do I could just pop over the road and drown my sorrows .
As for the game I can't think of one good thing we did? I saw Jackett interview earlier in the week going on about getting the big defenders up to score from set pieces . Maybe you could get them to stop opposition strolling through our back line and scoring first ?
Were you waving a Pompey flag out of your bedroom window about 45 minutes before kick off?
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

No SB, didn't check in until after the match
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by <dj.> »

We stayed in the Doubletrees too. If we go back to MK I'd probably do it again. Dinner in the Marco Pierre White on the second floor was pretty good too.