John Marquis

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

John Marquis

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Was yesterday the last throw of the dice at Pompey for him?

It looks to me that either we have to change our system, or it would be best for him to move on and play elsewhere in a system that suits him.

There is no doubt that he is a good goal scorer, but so far at least, KJ has not got the best out of him.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: John Marquis

Post by Mr Dee »

Apparently he was brought on yesterday for tactical reasons ??? But it was a like for like swap with Harrison who did have a shocking first half so maybe Jackett just didn't want to say so.
<dj.>
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: John Marquis

Post by <dj.> »

I think Marquis has been a consistent goal scorer for Donnies because of his relationship with Coppinger. We needed to buy both of them. We have previously had players of our own like that: Whittingham who was fed by Paul Walsh and couldn't repeat that amazing performance when we sold him, and more recently Todorov, who scored for fun all the time Paul Merson was putting the ball just in front of him.
To get Marquis scoring again we need to replicate whatever Coppinger was doing. I imagine Marquis would tell our players what that was if he knew. On Sunday Pitman (I think) put the ball on a plate for him and Marquis passed it gently to the goalie, so I'm guessing the past few months have done for his confidence.