SCunthorpe - 1-0

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

SCunthorpe - 1-0

Post by Sam_Brown »

Marquis again... say what you want about his attitude but he's starting to hit a bit of form and I hope it continues.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: SCunthorpe - 1-0

Post by GreenBlue »

Ditto Sam, I don't care how he scores them as long as he is scoring. 4 in 5 games now.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

2nd place Wycombe....no idea how they are second...appaling current form. Losing 1-0 to Peteboro
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

2-1 now.
Wycombe done and dusted at 0-3
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

well, a 2-1 win and 2nd place Wycombe thrashed 4-0. A good day all round
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Watched on ifollow. We got the job done, but it wasn't very pretty, and most of the time Scunthorpe played attractive football, while we indulged in our annoying habit of hoofing it anywhere up the pitch. However, we won and are in the semi final.

Jack played 90 minutes and looked very good.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Excellent news about Jack.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Also watched on iFollow, as you say not pretty but kept at it and got the result. Starting to feel (god, I'm about to jinx things) like one of those seasons, grinding out unattractive results and creeping forwards. Just hope it keeps going.
Living in exile thinking Blue
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Hope I'm not about to jinx things but... no team has ever retained the EFL Trophy until this year??
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Scunthorpe - 1-0

Post by streetrifle »

What bothers me is that already this season is moving towards a repeat of last season with too many games in too many competitions and probably an obsessive focus on Wembley. Last night I couldn't believe that key players like Marquis, Harness, Williams, Burgess on as a sub, and Bolton were being risked. Our sole focus this season must be on promotion otherwise we risk an anti-climax tired sort of end to the season like last year.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

If anyone is getting excited, the draw for the semi-finals is Saturday at 9pm (on Quest, whatever that is).
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:41 am What bothers me is that already this season is moving towards a repeat of last season with too many games in too many competitions and probably an obsessive focus on Wembley. Last night I couldn't believe that key players like Marquis, Harness, Williams, Burgess on as a sub, and Bolton were being risked. Our sole focus this season must be on promotion otherwise we risk an anti-climax tired sort of end to the season like last year.
I’m not so sure. Promotion is a priority no doubt, but this close to another Wembley appearance when we’re the strongest team left (on paper anyway)? I wouldn’t mess about. Cup finals of any sort are rare animals, so shouldn’t be dismissed so readily.

As mentioned in the other thread, we have a stronger squad this season with appearances under their belts. Admittedly we lack the stand out performers like Lowe and Clarke but in depth we look solid and can afford to rotate a little.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

So it's not the FA Cup. But it includes all the L1 and 2 teams as well as the Under 21s. Well worth winning. Let's hope we get lucky with a home draw.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

New Forester wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:33 pm Let's hope we get lucky with a home draw.
Ground-tickers still hoping for Salford away.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Last season we played the kids and only the kids.until the semi final and final. Two extra games, didn't cost us promotion.

This season we have a far deeper squad, the side put out last night was strong but it also included a lot of players who are in the first team squad but coming back from spells out due to form or injury.

McGeegan can't play Saturday so giving him minutes last night, and back in Tuesday.

Plus winning is a habit, I'd rather we keep winning whatever the competition than stutter - were doing ok we're right in the mix, not losing many and looking hard to beat (some how) at the right time of the season. I'm excited to watch it unfold.