Shrewsbury

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Shrewsbury

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

2-0 win again. Harrison & Marquis with the goals Shrewsbury & "Dennis the Menace" made it difficult. A good 3 points with others around us slipping up.

Still in 6th position with the 2 games in hand
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: Shrewsbury

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Quick BFTG.

Overall, and given the weather conditions, this was a good performance. Apart from one shot, and good save from Bass, Pompey were on top for the first half and produced almost all the decent chances and opportunities; just missing on the goal attempt or final pass. Should have been ahead. After HT, it was back to the recent past as Pompey went into Autumn mode and were very flat for 15 minutes, and Shrewsbury created a couple of very decent chances. Luckily, it was also back to old Jackett who was decisive with early substitutions, McCrorie and Marquis were soon on for Bolton and Evans, and Pompey started to regain a grip. Harrison scored from a lovely McCrorie cross from a position in which he had little room to work. It was then pretty straightforward until Marquis wrapped it up.

A good team performance (again), rather than outstanding individuals. For me Tom Naylor was MOTM; battled throughout which set the tone for the team, made lots of tackles/interventions to protect the back four and for once his passing was good with nothing wasted. Harrison was a threat and Burgess had another good game in poor conditions. Curtis needs a rest, but otherwise the team looked physically OK for the games ahead (that's not to say Curtis was poor, just a bit off recent energy levels).
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

As always, many thanks for the BFTG and other feedback.

Exeter have won their last three games and sit second in the Div 2 table. They are therefore likely to be good opposition next Tuesday for the EFL trophy.

While I would like to see Pompey win, our priority must surely be L1. Hence, I would like to see some further squad rotation - maybe give Curtis a rest if he was leggy yesterday? Maybe give some of yesterday's other reserves an opportunity?
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

Just to add my five-eighths. Make no mistake this was a difficult game in difficult conditions against typical strong physical League 1 opposition which in the past we might have dropped points. This Pompey team is made of stronger stuff however and every one worked their socks off yesterday and fought for every ball, showing good character. 'Earned their right to play' as the modern expression goes. In the end got our rewards.
Curtis was disappointing but like in the Coventry game he was recognised by Shrewsbury as a danger man and marked very closely. I was somewhat disappointed with Harness but it was his smart assist that put in Marquis for the killer second goal. Bass was very impressive with his handling again and made one super spectacular save. Midfielders were magnificent led by Naylor, what an important player he is for us. Raggett is a revelation - there I've said it now. Discovery of the season so far.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I am so, so pleased for Raggettt. Imagine how it must have felt for him to see he was being pilloried and written off in the early days of the season.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

New Forester wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:10 pm I am so, so pleased for Raggettt. Imagine how it must have felt for him to see he was being pilloried and written off in the early days of the season.
MOTM for me
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Not much to add to what has already been said, apart from the fact that I got absolutely drenched. I love where I sit, but not when it is raining as it was on Saturday! On to the players: I thought Tom Naylor was outstanding, and my MOTM. A couple of blocks he did in the first half were quality, and very brave, especially considering the conditions. Our back four all played well, especially Raggett and Burgess, who now look like a very good pairing. Even Bolton, who was replaced by McCrorie, wasn't having a bad game. He didn't look happy at being subbed, but in fairness to Jackett it was a great decision as Ross made our first goal out of pretty much nothing. No disrespect to Bolton, but McCrorie is a better all round footballer, especially going forward. I agree with others that Harness didn't have his best game, continuing to give Jackett a dilemma. If you could take the strengths of Harness and Williams and put them into one person you'd have one very good player! I also agree that Curtis wasn't at his best. I'm not sure if it is fatigue, or just that teams have started to work him out. Marquis coming on with McCrorie changed the momentum of the game. Now our expensive striker is starting to score regularly, I can see him and Harrison potentially firing us out this league - they both look much more confident than they have done all season. McGeehan didn't have his best game, but I still prefer him over Close as he does get stuck in. The revelation for me on Saturday though was Alex Bass. I can now see why Jackett has chosen him over Big Mac. His all round game is excellent, and all these clean sheets are not a fluke. His kicking and distribution on Saturday was first class, especially considering it was blowing a hooley. All in all a very professional performance, though we do miss Cannon. Hopefully, he will be back soon. PUP.