The state of Scottish football

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

The state of Scottish football

Post by portchesterblue »

The Scottish premiership is a strange old place. Couple of years ago you had Adam Rooney swapping Aberdeen for Salford at that time in the national league. Now kilmarnocks main striker is none other than rickie kabamba.
Left us and went to havant and waterlooville, and from there to hartlepool, both clubs he was unable to secure a starting spot, and now is the main striker at a team in the top half of the premier league. Outside Celtic and rangers there really isnt anything
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 60 times

Re: The state of Scottish football

Post by GreenBlue »

He used to religiously get awarded man of the match for Havant and Waterlooville although there were nearly always much more deserving candidates. Perhaps it was written into his contract that he had to be man of the match every game.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I've always found it highly irritating that if you go to the bbc's sports webpage / footy and hit the drop down list of leagues to find League 1 (The 3rd division), its always below the Scottish Prem.... like the Scots Prem is more important. That said, L1 (DIV III) is also behind the wimins super league. ….but that's just political correctness gone haywire. who tf watches the wimins Super league? Even the Haggis Eaters Prem gets more viewers.
Speaking of the Haggis Prem....wtf did Gerrard go to Rangers?.....because its Kindergarten for aspiring footy managers...that's why.
The league is like groundhog day. Celtic or Rangers will win but not make the last 16 of the Champions League. There's the script for 25 of the last 30 years.
Div III. Call it what it is.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

I see the much vaunted Daniel grendel is doing a grand job up there too. Only 1 win so far, against rangers lol but otherwise loss or draws
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

You only have to look at the ex-Pompey players who go and play in the Scottish Premiership to know that the standard is not that great. Adam Barton couldn't hold down a first team spot with us yet went up to play for Partick Thistle on a regular basis and in fact was their player of the year in his first season. Curtis Main left us and played for firstly Motherwell and now Aberdeen. Jayden Stockley banged in goals for Aberdeen for a while , Trevor Carson is still keeping goal for Motherwell . Simon Ferry left our employ and played in their top flight for Dundee . Ryan Fulton is currently one of Hamilton Academical's goalkeeping options . Marc McNulty is back on loan at Hibernian and scored a hat-trick on his debut.

None of those players really cut the mustard at Fratton yet all found employ in the Scottish premier Division. Take Celtic and Rangers out of that league and you'd have quite a competitive but very very average division.
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!
Ghengis Jones
Robbie Pethick

Post by Ghengis Jones »

It would be a very small league too ;-) :oops:
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

rumourmonger wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 pm Marc McNulty is back on loan at Hibernian and scored a hat-trick on his debut.

None of those players really cut the mustard at Fratton ...
I think that you are being hard on McNulty. I think that most Pompey fans would have happily had him back after his loan, but he went to play at a higher level than L2 (for a bit). McNulty and Lavery were a very effective pairing for Pompey. Otherwise, point taken.

Edit. Just cheated and looked it up; McNulty scored 12 goals in 34 appearances for Pompey.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

I watched Mcnulty's first game for hibs against BSC Glasgow because the son of a guy i went to school with' plays for BSC. McNulty was a cut above the rest , the plastic pitch didn't help either
rumourmonger
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by rumourmonger »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:32 pm
rumourmonger wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:06 pm Marc McNulty is back on loan at Hibernian and scored a hat-trick on his debut.

None of those players really cut the mustard at Fratton ...
I think that you are being hard on McNulty. I think that most Pompey fans would have happily had him back after his loan, but he went to play at a higher level than L2 (for a bit). McNulty and Lavery were a very effective pairing for Pompey. Otherwise, point taken.

Edit. Just cheated and looked it up; McNulty scored 12 goals in 34 appearances for Pompey.
Perhaps you are right , I was being a little tough on McNulty but the point I was driving at is that while he scored goals for us in League 2 , what has he done at any level above that? And if he is scoring again in the Scottish Premiership then what does that say about the standard in that division ?
Everyone says David Beckham is not very intelligent. No-one says that Professor Stephen Hawking is a rubbish footballer!