MK Dons

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

MK Dons

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Changes all over the place tonight.

Team : Bass, McCrorie Burgess Raggett Brown, Naylor Close, Williams Cannon Curtis, Marquis.

Pitman back and on bench.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: MK Dons

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I had the misfortune to go to Accrington this season. We had changed our whole "Back Four". Tonight we have changed two and I worry about Brown, McCrorie is either `pants` or very good, no in between. Watch this space
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Live on iFollow as well for anyone that likes that sort of thing.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:23 pm I had the misfortune to go to Accrington this season. We had changed our whole "Back Four". Tonight we have changed two and I worry about Brown, McCrorie is either `pants` or very good, no in between. Watch this space
I understand these changes. Assuming that MKDons will come to mostly defend, McCrorie offers more in attack than Bolton. Seddon looked tried on Saturday (but then so did the rest of the team), and could probably do with a rest. We will see what happens in practice.
Chopper Dave
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Chopper Dave »

And 1-0 up after 4 minutes
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

3-1 at the close.

Great result after the defeat and good to see we can still come back after a defeat with a changed team as well.
PUP!
Living in exile thinking Blue
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Great result, and a perfect set of results around us with Sunderland, Fleetwood, Coventry and Rotherham all failing to win. Some extreme Fergie time in the Coventry Rotherham match though. 11 minutes...
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Shaping up nicely.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by Mickemo »

Good win - back up to 5th.

Stating the obv, the next 5 weeks are going to vital for us with games against promo rivals

PUP !
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

In my opinion that scoreline flattered us, though we just about deserved to nick it on the balance of play. I thought they played the better football though, and can't understand why they are so far down the league? Possibly trying to play out from the back too much - which certainly cost them their first conceded goal, and nearly a couple of others! Positives on the night: Lee Brown was very good on his return, and a possible contender for MOTM (yes, really!). Bass made two or three superb saves, one in particular in the second half. If you want to be critical would say he could have held onto his penalty save or at least pushed it into touch for a corner. Burgess was excellent and was awarded MOTM by the sponsors - can't argue with that. Naylor had his usual 'solid as a rock' performance. Cannon makes a huge difference when he plays. The pitch is still in excellent condition so well done to the ground staff. Negatives: The crowd were awful last night, flattest they have been in ages - didn't even sing the usual PUP when the team came out. Close was awful last night - he does not tackle. Marquis wasn't much better, but keeps scoring so I'll zip my lip. Curtis looks like he's running through treacle so needs a rest - still a good player though. The referee was the usual poor quality at this level, and gave our players little protection from MK's thuggish behaviour - poor Andy Cannon was clattered on several occasions. Ultimately, the most important thing last night was the 3 points so mission accomplished. Win again on Friday and we are 3rd in the league, two points off 1st and 2nd. Crazy. PUP.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Thanks SB.

Tackling (or lack of it) has always been the weakness in Close's game. I am always amazed that professional footballers can get this far through a career, and still no-one has addressed the basic skills required (see also Williams trying to head a ball). Close is not strong, so is never going to be a great tackler, but his weight is so obviously in the wrong place he doesn't give himself a chance.

Curtis definitely needs a rest. I would be surprised to see him play (or at least start) on Friday if he wants to play against Arsenal. However, I have been wrong so often with Jackett's team selections, I now wouldn't be shocked by anything.

I said before Christmas that if we were going to push on up the table we needed Marquis to start scoring. For all his all round game faults, he is the one player we can look to for consistent goals, especially now Pitman is not playing.

In my opinion, Pompey are at their best when Cannon and Harrison start games. We then set off at a high tempo as they provide energy and hassle the opposition. If we then have to sub them after 60-70 minutes if they tire, so be it; there are other people who can exploit space as the game opens up.

It is a crazy (and rubbish) league. We have six winnable home games (Rochdale, Fleetwood, Accrington, Doncaster, Bristol R, Blackpool), but the away fixtures are horrible (Peterborough, Ipswich, Oxford, Rotherham, Southend and Burton). The play-offs are well within range, but to get to the automatic slots we are going to have to come up with some excellent away results (by skill or luck). However, does anyone see any of the teams likely to be promoted doing anything in the Championship?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:36 am However, does anyone see any of the teams likely to be promoted doing anything in the Championship?
It all depends upon how much any of them are prepared to strengthen their squad.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

For my five eighths on last night - Bass made at least a couple of great saves, he looks to have all the attributes to be a top keeper : his reflexes are amazing, his handling is great, his anticipation and positional sense looks spot on. He was unlucky with the penalty having made an initial great stop.
McCrorie is a liability defensively, cannot tackle properly, gave away the vital penalty - are we prepared to overlook that to have his over-lapping pace and skills.
We miss Harrison up front where Marquis offered very little in the way of challenge, BUT again he came up with a very smart goal-poacher's goal.
Harness was a revelation in contrast to Williams who he replaced, who was poor last night. Its clear that Harness is capable of scoring regularly if he had enough time on the pitch and he can go past people. In defence of Williams he does work hard but is that enough to earn a place ahead of Harness.
Brown was impressive going forward in the same effective fashion in partnership with Curtis that the pair achieved last season.
Burgess was back to his very best and needed to be because MK Dons are a handful up front .
In conclusion how did MK Dons achieve 61% possession first half and nearly as much second half.
Why oh why did MK Dons insist in playing the ball out from the back from the keeper all the game having conceded a goal from it very early in the game. Such modern football a la Man City is not a good idea for less skilful defences.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:27 pm Harness was a revelation in contrast to Williams who he replaced, who was poor last night. Its clear that Harness is capable of scoring regularly if he had enough time on the pitch and he can go past people. In defence of Williams he does work hard but is that enough to earn a place ahead of Harness.
I have been a big critic of Williams in the past, but he does have advantages over Harness. Defensively, Williams isn't great, but at least he is in the right place (roughly), whereas Harness just looks confused. He works hard up and down, wears defenders down and is a solid wide player. Harness is clearly the greater attacking threat, but his best moments often come later in games as space appears and he has licence to wander all over the place. I am not sure I agree, but there is an argument that playing Williams for an hour and Harness for 30 minutes is the best use of their respective talents and the most productive strategy.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

streetrifle wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:27 pm
In conclusion how did MK Dons achieve 61% possession first half and nearly as much second half.
Why oh why did MK Dons insist in playing the ball out from the back from the keeper all the game
I think you answered your own question!
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."