Corona Virus

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Corona Virus

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:14 pm On a more minor note, Mrs BB and got the results of out tests this morning - both positive. We are now confined to barracks for a bit longer, but hopefully the worst of the illness is past. It is our 52nd wedding anniversary on Monday and my 75th birthday on Wednesday - no big parties then!

Mrs BB has not yet advised me of the retribution she will be inflicting on me after I came back from skiing and infected her. I may have to sleep with one eye open for a bit!
Hi BB, sorry to hear you've both tested positive when you have such good reasons for celebration in the coming days. Everything crossed here and wishing you both a speedy recovery, a happy anniversary, and many more birthdays to come.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:14 pm On a more minor note, Mrs BB and got the results of out tests this morning - both positive. We are now confined to barracks for a bit longer, but hopefully the worst of the illness is past. It is our 52nd wedding anniversary on Monday and my 75th birthday on Wednesday - no big parties then!

Mrs BB has not yet advised me of the retribution she will be inflicting on me after I came back from skiing and infected her. I may have to sleep with one eye open for a bit!
Sorry to hear that BB.
On the plus side, when y'all are fully recovered then you know you are immune and can live life normally and in fact, what a great time to go visit places that would normally be crowded. Rome / Barcelona (if any are open of course!)
Div III. Call it what it is.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Thanks for all the good wishes, which are much appreciated. I am pleased to report that we seem, at the moment at least, to have not been hit too hard by the virus, and are on the mend without needing to go to hospital thus far.

One of the worst things is that there is no decent sport on TV, so in due course I may have to do some gardening!
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

There seems a general lack of reports in the press about people getting mildly ill and recovering quickly, it's all doom and gloom, really useful to hear real accounts of people recovering well. Hope recovery goes well.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Each person that recovers adds to the immunity herd that helps kill the pandemic.
Thank you for doing your bit, BB :wink:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Dinksy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:59 am Each person that recovers adds to the immunity herd that helps kill the pandemic.
I have a query. I've seen reports that people can catch the virus for a second time. If it's possible to re-catch the virus then doesn't that do away with the idea we can build a herd immunity?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 pm
Dinksy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:59 am Each person that recovers adds to the immunity herd that helps kill the pandemic.
I have a query. I've seen reports that people can catch the virus for a second time. If it's possible to re-catch the virus then doesn't that do away with the idea we can build a herd immunity?
Ive also heard this but apparently its not possible to catch the same virus twice (there are apparently extremely rare cases on record) but it is possible to catch the updated variant ie corona version 2.... although supposedly, there is no version 2 at his time. I think virus history says version 2 doesn't come out until next year or later.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

BB I am sorry to hear that you have been ill and caught this. Obviously it's good to hear that you appear to be on the mend and got away fairly lightly.

One of my nagging questions on the matter is what is a continuous cough? How does it sound? Does it feel different to a normal cough?

I'm not worried I have it but I just find it interesting this is the major symptom yet there is no soundfile of someone with these coughs in the news stories about the virus.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

BB speedy recovery. Keep well everyone.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

btw, it gets crazier here by the hour.
Sgt Kid just called up by the military to fight the good fight in Maryland. No rifles required.
Cincinnati Just shut all schools. Bars / restaurants shut tonite at 9pm
Lady Kid works the front door at COSTCO. They've sold out of fresh food / produce and tp / wipes every day for the last 4 days. I told her to bring home a case of wine.....priorities.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:13 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:32 pm
Ive also heard this but apparently its not possible to catch the same virus twice (there are apparently extremely rare cases on record) but it is possible to catch the updated variant ie corona version 2.... although supposedly, there is no version 2 at his time. I think virus history says version 2 doesn't come out until next year or later.
I've read differently that it is possible to catch it twitch. So many articles though and news on Facebook etc it's hard to know what to believe.

There is a good article here on current ideas about variations of COVID19:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... re-deadly/

One here that talks about immune system and if you can get the same virus multiple times:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/09/well ... twice.html

And another one from Forbes worth reading:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2 ... b8dac45c0f

Not sure how the above relate to the articles you've read so would be interested to know how it compares.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix