Corona Virus

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Hamburg Skate
Paul Merson

Corona Virus

Post by Hamburg Skate »

Not been mentioned on here yet but let's hope it does not ruin the rest of the season.
Brexit....Voted for it...Sorry i was wrong.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Sam_Brown »

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering what the chances of the EFL Trophy final being played behind closed doors was and hoping it wouldn’t be.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by New Forester »

Saw something about over 70s being banned from Premier League matches if things get worse. I just hope if I get it I can at least hang on to the end of the season. I'd hate to leave without knowing.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

As I said on 28th Feb, in the ticket thread....

"I suspect it's 50/50 as to whether it will even take place"
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

What a gigantic bunch of silliness. If the media published the same infection / death rate with Flu the globe would have ground to a halt by now.
Well, in year one. By Year 2 we'd be bored and not pay attention.
Besides, this is the way things are supposed to work. Virus comes along, people get exposed, immunities are built and humanity is better prepped for round 2. Its not like this thing is Ebola.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:06 pm What a gigantic bunch of silliness. If the media published the same infection / death rate with Flu the globe would have ground to a halt by now.
Besides, this is the way things are supposed to work. Virus comes along, people get exposed, immunities are built and humanity is better prepped for round 2. Its not like this thing is Ebola.

I agree although that’s not to say they shouldn’t be taking steps to mitigate. Only thing I don’t agree is comparisons with flu are a bit off as there is a massive difference in mortality rate between the two.

Plus we still don’t know all the facts. All this talk of people recontracting it after being cured and it mutating into different strains and we don’t know the long term damage yet for people who have been infected. Recent studies showing it can lead to fibrosis of the Lings even in those who have recovered should be investigated.

Ultimately it will come and go and people need to make up their own minds as to what they do if they do come down with it.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:43 pm
The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:06 pm What a gigantic bunch of silliness. If the media published the same infection / death rate with Flu the globe would have ground to a halt by now.

I agree although that’s not to say they shouldn’t be taking steps to mitigate. Only thing I don’t agree is comparisons with flu are a bit off as there is a massive difference in mortality rate between the two.

Plus we still don’t know all the facts. All this talk of people recontracting it after being cured and it mutating into different strains and we don’t know the long term damage yet for people who have been infected. Recent studies showing it can lead to fibrosis of the Lings even in those who have recovered should be investigated.

Ultimately it will come and go and people need to make up their own minds as to what they do if they do come down with it.
Quite right on sensible steps. Wife works the front door at Costco so shes certainly gloved and hand washing. Not convinced on the death rates at all. Death rate must be the RECORDED #of people contracted and the % of those that unfortunately pass on but in this scenario, the gazillions of peeps that have mild symptoms and don't even know they have anything other than a cough are not counted thus the death rate (in my humble didn't go to med school opinion) is waaaay lower than panic media suggests.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Well this is ironic 😷

Wife had to take another friend to hospital after he started displaying Corona like symptoms. She’s acting fairly nonchalant at the moment over it and sure it’s nothing at all but be Sod’s law if she ends up being self isolated over it..
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

I smell a footy wide stadium ban coming today.
Y'all heard it here 2nd.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by GreenBlue »

According to the PM, in whom I have little faith or trust, we are expecting the peak of the coronavirus here in Britain in 14 weeks when, at worst estimate, 85% of the 80% of the population who are likely to catch it will get it then. If that is the peak, how long before the peak are they likely to impose a ban on gatherings i.e sporting events. The EFL trophy is 4 weeks away, 10 weeks before the peak!!

However I am not optimistic. Should it be postponed or played behind closed doors, will we get a full refund on tickets or will Ticketmaster still take their cut?
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

I am a bit concerned because of all the Corona I drank as a Kid. There used to be a Delivery Van that came round every week and you could get money back on the returned empty bottles. Does this mean I shall have to self isolate. This whole thing is a gross over reaction. They think about 1% of people that catch it will die and a large proportion of those will have a pre-existing condition.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:20 pm I am a bit concerned because of all the Corona I drank as a Kid. There used to be a Delivery Van that came round every week and you could get money back on the returned empty bottles. Does this mean I shall have to self isolate. This whole thing is a gross over reaction. They think about 1% of people that catch it will die and a large proportion of those will have a pre-existing condition.
That's around 500000 deaths ffs.
bl**dy hell
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by GreenBlue »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote

This whole thing is a gross over reaction. They think about 1% of people that catch it will die and a large proportion of those will have a pre-existing condition.
Scientists predict up to 80% of the population will catch this and throughout the world the death rate could be as high as 4%. I know this is currently regarded as the worse case of what is possible but if this was the case that would mean over 250 million deaths worldwide. Warning people to wash their hands and sing happy birthday twice is hardly a gross overreaction.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

You know when Trumpy made his TV special address last night, he sounded a little under the weather to me.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

Now with Arteta infected and Arsenal under quarantine, Id be surprised if any footy in front of crowds, or indeed any footy at all happens after this weekend. And if you're gonna cancel footy after this weekend, it don't make a whole lot of sense to play this weekend. I reckon were done and dusted for a month or 2.
All sports in the USA now cancelled