Promotion?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Promotion?

Post by eltorrro »

Please God, NOOO!!
Apart from possibly Bass and Burgess not one of our current squad is good enough for the Championship...and neither is the current manager, we would be ripped to pieces and be straight back down next season. I also don't believe the Eisners would be willing, or able to contribute enough funds to build a strong enough team and recruit a suitable manager.
We all see games differently and have opinions on players but I cannot understand how Curtis is so feted..what does he bring to the team? Petulant, upsets referees and does nothing out of the ordinary..actually, perhaps that's because he is just that...ordinary? Our midfield, :roll: might just as well just stand in line across the pitch for what good they are..do we ever see penetrating balls in the channels splitting defences?? Oh, and our favoured Scot, McCrorie..the next big thing in Scottish football?...as the man said 'my aris'!!..don't even rate him for Lge1.

As others have rightly said, this season Lge1 is very poor and that, I'm sad to say, includes our own team.

But, hey ho, we have another trip to Wembley and will possibly win the EFL Trophy again; we probably won't get promoted but our beloved owners will keep the same Manager thinking he has performed well and next season...same old, same old...we go again!!! 8)
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Promotion?

Post by streetrifle »

On tonight's showing we have no chance of promotion. We were so lucky to get a draw, thanks to a magnificent own goal. The team tonight looked as though they had been spooked by last Saturday's defeat and were woefully short of confidence and ideas. There were some wretched performances out there. Seddon's much admired set piece deliveries were sadly lacking tonight and his link up play with Curtis was almost non existent. In midfield we carried two passengers, McGeehan who had a very poor and ineffective game, he is one of a long line of loanees who Jackett has brought in over the last two years who simply are not up the standard we need. You have to wonder about Cannon too who had a poor game and was totally ineffectual other than a couple of fleeting moments. McCrorie again proved that he is not a proper full back and lacks basic defensive ability. Sadly he made no overlaps at all for which he had previously looked OK. Harrison worked hard but only had scraps to feed off with no service whatsoever.
You had to be at this match to see how bad we were, it was like a bad dream.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

eltorrro wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 pm But, hey ho, we have another trip to Wembley and will possibly win the EFL Trophy again;
If we do. I now put it at 80/20 that it won't be played.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Shouldn’t we be happy that with such a poor team we are still right in contention for promotion and back at Wembley? Cheer up :rofl :rofl
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:50 pm
eltorrro wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 pm But, hey ho, we have another trip to Wembley and will possibly win the EFL Trophy again;
If we do. I now put it at 80/20 that it won't be played.
City Vs Arsenal has been postponed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51829511
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

New Forester wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:37 am Shouldn’t we be happy that with such a poor team we are still right in contention for promotion and back at Wembley? Cheer up :rofl :rofl
But that's the drift of my piece...because of Wembley 'der management' think we are all happy bunnies so carry on as normal...same manager...same crap football...same rubbish league...same old, same old. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!! 8)
gosling
Martin Kuhl

Post by gosling »

Maybe we need to go up and fail miserably before we get a manager who can set up a team to play attractive football and potentially be comfortable in the championship
A bad days fishing is better than a good day at work.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I firmly believe under Kenny we'll never struggle, but I have grave doubts he'll ever get us up, via autos or play offs. Love to be proved wrong of course. He is undoubtedly a nice guy, whereas Barton is a total ******. But all the bright ideas last night came from Fleetwood & therein lies the problem. Seems that bright younger managers with modern ideas find it relatively easy to outwit him. I think tbf Kenny has taken a lot of the perceived criticism onboard, the football overall has improved IMO (last night was bl**dy awful mind). But tactically @ times we seem to come up short.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

So let me get this straight eltorro, you want kj sacked for allowing a player to attend the birth of his child on a match day which meant we didnt win, and yet you now don't want us to win in case we di actually get promoted??
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Judging by the comments on here and hysteria in other places on the internet it appears there is a body of Pompey fans who are quite happy with a fairly tepid football style as long as we win but who decide they are purists when a few defeats come along. Kenny's so-called 'style' is a bit of a myth IMO. He has a favoured system but has shown flexibility in changing it. We have looked very very good on occasions but awful on others. It's a work in progress. That said, we are touching distance from the top two. Back the team and we might get there.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Now a 95% probability that the EFL Trophy final won't happen and the odds are shortening that the regular season will be abandoned. Question is, will those in the top two places when the axe falls be promoted, or will the status quo remain for another season?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 am Now a 95% probability that the EFL Trophy final won't happen and the odds are shortening that the regular season will be abandoned. Question is, will those in the top two places when the axe falls be promoted, or will the status quo remain for another season?
What makes you say that, Sherl?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:26 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 am Now a 95% probability that the EFL Trophy final won't happen and the odds are shortening that the regular season will be abandoned. Question is, will those in the top two places when the axe falls be promoted, or will the status quo remain for another season?
What makes you say that, Sherl?
Just a wild guess mate :wink:
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Hypothetical I know but, if the season is curtailed due to the virus, and the top two at the time are promoted, would the playoff promotion position be awarded to the team in 3rd place? If so, our next few games are even more vital.