So, whats to be done with L1?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Re: So, whats to be done with L1?

Post by GreenBlue »

... and as of last night, the bookies had Germany as the first major league to resume. So not looking promising.
meakinsl
Milan Mandaric
Been liked: 6 times

Post by meakinsl »

From the Times : One suggestion is that the tables for League One and Two be decided on points per game, with a play-off tournament for those in third to sixth position (or fourth to seventh in League Two) to settle the final promotion place.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

meakinsl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:10 am From the Times : One suggestion is that the tables for League One and Two be decided on points per game, with a play-off tournament for those in third to sixth position (or fourth to seventh in League Two) to settle the final promotion place.
If I am right then that would leave the top 5 in the same places and Wycombe replacing Peterborough in 6th (with Sunderland missing out :thumb
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

meakinsl wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:10 am From the Times : One suggestion is that the tables for League One and Two be decided on points per game, with a play-off tournament for those in third to sixth position (or fourth to seventh in League Two) to settle the final promotion place.
That would mean...

Champions: Coventry (Well done to them and well deserved)
Promotion: Rotherham

Play Offs
Oxford v Wycombe
Pompey v Fleetwood
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

By my calculation, Wycombe are boosted up to third due to their game in hand, and everyone else in the 3-6 group shft down one (unlucky big spenders Peterborough).

So it's Fleetwood v. Wycombe and Pompey v. Oxford Utd.

All teams that we have struggled against at times, but I would greatly fancy our chances.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:01 pm By my calculation, Wycombe are boosted up to third due to their game in hand, and everyone else in the 3-6 group shft down one (unlucky big spenders Peterborough).

So it's Fleetwood v. Wycombe and Pompey v. Oxford Utd.

All teams that we have struggled against at times, but I would greatly fancy our chances.
I would be confident that we could go up on that basis.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

If games are behind closed doors, is there a need for a two-legged play-off? Why not play the semi Finals as a double header on a saturday with the final the following week on a neutral ground.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 pm If games are behind closed doors, is there a need for a two-legged play-off? Why not play the semi Finals as a double header on a saturday with the final the following week on a neutral ground.
Would seem sensible. Although it might have to be played at a neutral venue, otherwise the 'home' team would have a fairly hefty advantage. With the rest of the season nixed, you can guarantee they'll be training on the actual pitch itself as much as possible in preparation.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

It's creeping up the divisions.... EFL next?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

During the Government's briefing today one of the participants said that the social distancing aspect might have to remain in place at least until the end of the year. On that basis it seems to me that football has to get real on this i.e. there is no chance of any football until sometime early next year.
I think a curtain has to be drawn on the 2019/20 season and some way has to be found to formulate a restricted 2020/21 season.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

New Forester wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:07 am Sign of things to come?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52418048
It's the only reasonable solution imo .
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

New Forester wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:07 am Sign of things to come?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52418048
This seems a bit of an inconsistent outcome in my opinion. :roll:

They decided that there would be no promotion nor relegation BUT have announced that the top 2 go into the Champions League and the 3rd place into the Europa League. So, from this point of view, they have deemed that league positions are valid at the top so why not at the bottom? Extremely harsh on Cambuur.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Here's something that could be considered if the season has to end with no (or virtually no) more matches in 2019-20.

Promotion with no relegation. This would eliminate a lot of the complaints from teams at the bottom of divisions, but give some reward to those at the top. The league is already lopsided with the PL-CH-L1-L2 having 20-24-24-24 teams. Promoting two teams from each division without relegation would give us 22-24-24-22 for season 2020-21, with maybe two teams from the NL making up the numbers in L2. This is workable, there would be two more teams to share the riches in the PL (but everyone needs to sacrifice something), and the PL teams might demand cancellation of the League Cup to allow for the extra league fixtures, which would be no great loss.

The two to be promoted could either be the top two now, which is very clear-cut in the CH, reasonably clear in L1 and a bit tighter in L2, but generally OK in the circumstances. Or, if some football allowed, the top one plus some play-off scenario (two teams? four teams?) could be considered.

Over the next couple of seasons there would then be more relegation than promotion to restore the original numbers. However, every club would know this from the start of 2020-21, so no grounds for complaint.

(Or maybe I have been too long in lockdown).
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

The Guardian not confident that anything will take place...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... avirus-efl