So, whats to be done with L1?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: So, whats to be done with L1?

Post by Pompey Penguin »

As predicted, the creep up the league continues. Now National League, NLSouth and NLNorth all suspended until further notice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092442

Some talk of allowing Barrow to enter L2, presumably as the replacement for Bury.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Do feel bad for Liverpool. If the season gets cancelled they will either not win the league or if they do it will come with a massive asterisk next to it.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Hamburg Skate
Paul Merson

Post by Hamburg Skate »

I would like to think they could finish this season being realistic lets say by the end of september.
Then for next season have 8 mini leagues for one season only, 2 Prem, 2Chump, 2lg1 and 2lg 2. starting in December.
So hopefully get back to normal after that.
Brexit....Voted for it...Sorry i was wrong.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Why do we have to do anything , just carry on when they can . 2020/21 hasn't started yet so any adjustment can be done then when people haven't got any vested interested because no one is winning or losing. I can't believe I'm going to say this but I agree with Wayne Rooney who pointed out there's a winter world cup coming so just slip everything forward a few months and then teams will be ready for the world cup at the end of their seasons.
roubles
Alan Biley

Post by roubles »

I can't see this season being finished, this whole sad situation will drag on for far too long to fit in the games required before the start of the next season.

Whatever is done, someone is going to feel hard done by, so my vote would be for a two season season. Start next season with every team keeping the number of points as they have now and fit in the games missed this season during the course of next season, dropping a cup if necessary. No transfers in between seasons, (likely international transfers will be banned this year anyway) and just allow a January transfer window in 2021. No one will be happy but, that will at least give everyone a fair chance.
We live in a world where we know the cost of everything but recognise the value of nothing.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I think the longer this goes on the more chance there is of this season being voided. I cant see too many other workable options tbh.
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

roubles wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:55 pm I can't see this season being finished, this whole sad situation will drag on for far too long to fit in the games required before the start of the next season.

Whatever is done, someone is going to feel hard done by, so my vote would be for a two season season. Start next season with every team keeping the number of points as they have now and fit in the games missed this season during the course of next season, dropping a cup if necessary. No transfers in between seasons, (likely international transfers will be banned this year anyway) and just allow a January transfer window in 2021. No one will be happy but, that will at least give everyone a fair chance.

Really like that solution actually, best and fairest I've seen put forward so far, would need some "half-season" fund distribution of a sort to keep things ticking over.
Living in exile thinking Blue
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I think by now, they have to null-and-void the season. Even if there was sudden disappearance of infection, you've had entire squads sitting idle for weeks. With back-to-back games, minimal training ground/fitness/medical prep - and pressure for results, there are some serious injuries just waiting to happen.

Its unfair on Liverpool - and maybe they'll get a vague 'honorary' title, like Esha Ness in 93 - but all leagues have to be treated the same. Bite the bullet, write it off and look to August - or maybe a little later.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Belgium has (nearly) made a decision to end league and accept standings as they are as the end of the season. Club Brugge will be named champions.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... end-season

Is this a sign of whats going to happen? I am sure they aren't doing it without at least some consultation with other leagues.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

but they only had one game to go
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Proof that we are living in very strange times. FIFA might do something sensible. Player contracts and transfer window to be extended (maybe).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52188913
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Chairman of the EFL, Rick Parry plans to finish the season in 56 days, according to The Snooze today. The eight-week period would include play-offs and the games would be played behind closed doors. As to 'when', obviously at this stage he can't say, but he rules out a return to training before May 16th.
How is this going to happen? Even if we started this programme in July (after a month's training), we're running into 2020/21.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:26 pm Chairman of the EFL, Rick Parry plans to finish the season in 56 days, according to The Snooze today. The eight-week period would include play-offs and the games would be played behind closed doors. As to 'when', obviously at this stage he can't say, but he rules out a return to training before May 16th.
How is this going to happen? Even if we started this programme in July (after a month's training), we're running into 2020/21.
When is the Winter World Cup? Could move things around so that remainder of this season can be played this calendar year. Then you got between that ends and December 2022 to get another season in.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

An article from Sports Illustrated about the difficulties of restarting sports. Sorry, it is a horrible website, but get through the adverts to the text and it is worth reading. An American perspective, but a lot of it applies to elsewhere.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sport ... -back-soon

Take home message: it ain't happening.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

No public events in Germany until 1 August at earliest. And we are likely to be later.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb