Roll Call

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Roll Call

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I don't suppose me and Mrs Sherlock are the only ones on the board who are entering the government advised 12-week isolation.

Who else?
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Roll Call

Post by New Forester »

The Mrs and I are 151 so are already following the advice. The only problem we face is deciding what to do about shopping for essentials. At present we are thinking of doing a weekly shop early morning. Our local Tesco opens at 6am and that would suit us. Neither of us have an underlying condition and are quite capable of driving. Surely if every 70 plus stays at home the supermarkets won't cope with home delivery and local volunteers will be overwhelmed.

So if you are over 70 and in the same position as us, will you still go food shopping?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Age is not our reason for isolating, but Mrs Sherlock ticks just about every box on the list of medical vulnerabilities. We've been taking precautions for about 10 days already, but are fully isolating as of last night. Fortunately we have grown-up daughters living fairly locally who will food shop for us when it becomes necessary, and I managed to arrange earlier this week for Mrs Sherlock's many prescription drugs/injections/inhalers to be delivered to us for the foreseeable.
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

Stay safe sherlock.
My family are on 14 day isolation due to my son being sent home from school with a cough. It's just a cold but not willing to take chances with others health
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

portchesterblue wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:00 am Stay safe sherlock.
My family are on 14 day isolation due to my son being sent home from school with a cough. It's just a cold but not willing to take chances with others health
Thanks mate, and likewise to you and yours.
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Very best wishes to you and your wife NSS, and to all on this board for the coming weeks.

Mrs BB and ! are slowly recovering from the virus, we have been lucky not to have had to go to hospital, but have been left with no energy and generally feeling below par. We are really lucky that our children/grandchildren all live reasonably close by, so apart from one online shop, we have been provided with food to get us by. After this weekend our 14 day quarantine will be complete, and theoretically at least we will be able to go out into the world again, happy in the knowledge that we are most unlikely to catch the virus again. However, I have a feeling that things might not quite be that straightforward, and the world seems to have been going crazy while we have been out of circulation!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Thanks BB. Really good to hear that you and your wife are on the mend. As you say though, life as we knew it has definitely changed for the foreseeable.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'm a few years shy of 70, and have no underlying conditions that I know of, so not in isolation, but playing it as safely as possible. I closed my business down on Tuesday and my team and I are all now working remotely from home. The main problem here is that we have no work. Business has fallen off the edge of the cliff, and I know I'm not the only one. The economic fallout is potentially going to be a far greater one that the virus itself. On the subject of the virus, I think I may have already had it as I was very ill a few weeks ago, but only for about three days. We all got it at work. It was exactly the symptoms they describe - dry cough and fever. I was waking up in the night in a pool of sweat. I thought at the time it was just a bad cold, but I didn't have any of the other symptoms associated with one. Stay safe everyone.
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

My Wife and I are both over 70, we have no real underlying health issues. We are keeping our distance from anybody else, however we are taking days out in our own car with sandwiches, in the beautiful West Country but avoiding any human contact. There is at least one confirmed case in the village where we live. It is, as we see it, just being sensible, washing one`s hands frequently and trying to continue life as normally as we can. One of my Daughters lives fairly locally, but I shall visit our local supermarkets to top up supplies early in the morning. Best Wishes to everybody in these difficult times.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Good luck all, stay safe!

As an edit, that of course applies to one and all hereabouts.
Living in exile thinking Blue
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 am Very best wishes to you and your wife NSS, and to all on this board for the coming weeks.

Mrs BB and ! are slowly recovering from the virus, we have been lucky not to have had to go to hospital, but have been left with no energy and generally feeling below par. We are really lucky that our children/grandchildren all live reasonably close by, so apart from one online shop, we have been provided with food to get us by. After this weekend our 14 day quarantine will be complete, and theoretically at least we will be able to go out into the world again, happy in the knowledge that we are most unlikely to catch the virus again. However, I have a feeling that things might not quite be that straightforward, and the world seems to have been going crazy while we have been out of circulation!
Can you talk us through your symptoms when you had it, BB? And how long did you have them?
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Dinksy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:16 pm
Berkshire Blue wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:40 am Very best wishes to you and your wife NSS, and to all on this board for the coming weeks.

Can you talk us through your symptoms when you had it, BB? And how long did you have them?
After returning from skiing in Italy I started with a cough, and felt under par and hot and cold for no reason. I had a temperature, but it was up and down, and I also had a headache.

A couple of days later MrsBB went down with a fever (around 39c) for about 48 hours at which point I contacted 111 and arranged for us to be tested. I think that it was just before they stopped testing people. Two days later the tests came back positive. Since then we have bumped along feeling generally under the weather and taking paracetamol. I am now 90 % better and have stopped taking paracetamol and have more energy than before. Mrs BB is a few days behind me but is on the mend, but sleeping a lot of the time. Neither of us have much of an appetite, which might be a good thing as we are taking no exercise!

I think that we have been really lucky!
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I forgot to say that we are both in our mid 70s, have no underlying health concerns and are not on any medication.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:42 pm I forgot to say that we are both in our mid 70s, have no underlying health concerns and are not on any medication.
So pleased to hear you are both on the mend, scary story though. Stay safe guys x
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Thanks, BB - TBH, I'd rather get my facts from you guys than the Beeb. Must the Pompey family thing!
The key symptoms seem to be a cough and temperature. So if you were to get nauseous or diarrheoa for example along with a temperature, it's something else.
Glad to hear you're on top of things now.

Just for comparison, the neighbour of a friend of mine got it after returning from a ski trip to Italy during the half-term break. He felt exhausted on the plane and slept the whole way back then came down with a temperature when he got home. The rest of the family came down with similar symptoms a day later. Long story short he spent two days in bed and has fully recovered since. That was about three weeks ago. Interestingly, I don't remember any mention of a cough.
Point is folks, for the vast majority of us that's the picture: a few days in bed IF we get it.

One thing I am uncertain about is the use of Ibruprophen. The doctor on Radio 2's Jeremy Vine show was saying there are anecdotal reports that using it can make symptoms worse but no scientific evidence to confirm or deny this. Anyone heard anything more concrete?