General observation re Age

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: General observation re Age

Post by New Forester »

Don’t think I could cope with a 40 year old. She’d be 6 years younger than my youngest daughter. Wouldn’t go down well.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:34 am Mr D Nuts

Just seen your post this morning and became concerned for you. What has happened? Hopefully you didn't intend the post to be quite as it could be construed. If you did and you are feeling desperate, is there anyone you can talk to?

Take care mate. I tried to Private message you but it didn't appear to work. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Cheers
+1 with the above post

My age: 77 but still reasonably fit.

If it's any consolation, I've been made redundant three times over the years and have managed to bounce back.

Out of work for six months on one occasion and looking for jobs, while taking legal action against my former employer (a complete b*****d.) It was a very difficult time.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:34 am Mr D Nuts

Just seen your post this morning and became concerned for you. What has happened? Hopefully you didn't intend the post to be quite as it could be construed. If you did and you are feeling desperate, is there anyone you can talk to?

Take care mate. I tried to Private message you but it didn't appear to work. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Cheers
+1 from me too. Keep your pecker up Mr DN. Things are very often not quite as bad as they first appear.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:56 am 45 but not sure I'll bother carrying on until 46. As of 6pm last night I have no job, income or purpose in life.
Hey man, let us know you're okay. A lot of people are down at the moment and can't see a way out but there is - we just can't see it right now. On top of all the bad news, the weather is awful and we've no footie. But the sun is coming out very soon and like Pompey when they have a bad run, we have to just keep believing until things turn the corner.
Pompski!
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pompski! »

I get the impression most here think I'm older! ;)
I am me, the universe and you.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

55 and while I sometimes feel younger, the kids have me feeling like 80 when they force me to play football for a couple of hours each weekend.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

GreenBlue wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:40 am Talking of observation of age, has anyone heard of the "half your age plus 7" theory to work out from what age a 'partner' is regarded socially acceptable. It's just a lighthearted but... a 35 year old? Sounds good. :lol:
Having just scrolled through the age responses, that at least would not be a criminal offence for any posters.
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

uspompeyfan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:44 pm 55 and while I sometimes feel younger, the kids have me feeling like 80 when they force me to play football for a couple of hours each weekend.
looks like there are quite a few of us double nickles
Div III. Call it what it is.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:56 am 45 but not sure I'll bother carrying on until 46. As of 6pm last night I have no job, income or purpose in life.
Nuts, there are more people in the same position as you, especially right now. I got laid off yesterday, minutes after having to lay off 23 employees. 5 kids and the likelihood of a full lockdown starting this weekend in Arizona.

Life sucks if you let it, but take some time to look at positives. While you feel you have no purpose in life, could you be a life line to others? Reach out to neighbors in need and see if you can help with errands for them, especially elderly as they might be scared and struggling too at this point. You have a purpose in life because you are still breathing, you need to look in a mirror and then decide who and how can I make feel good...and it will do miracles for you too. It works.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Ditto the above.
Rocketman
Martin Kuhl

Post by Rocketman »

USPompeyfan, good response to Mr Nuts, and I hope it goes OK for you too. No lock-down yet here in N Arizona (Prescott) but at least the panic buying is under better control by the shops. I actually think this will all be over quicker than we are being told, because governments usually tell you to prepare for the worst (no bad thing) and 9 times out of 10 something good then turns up in life. The latest news on the anti-malarial drug that is being applied to those with c-v looks very promising. Industry, hotels, restaurants etc will then want to get back to business as soon as they can.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Rocketman wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:16 pm USPompeyfan, good response to Mr Nuts, and I hope it goes OK for you too. No lock-down yet here in N Arizona (Prescott) but at least the panic buying is under better control by the shops. I actually think this will all be over quicker than we are being told, because governments usually tell you to prepare for the worst (no bad thing) and 9 times out of 10 something good then turns up in life. The latest news on the anti-malarial drug that is being applied to those with c-v looks very promising. Industry, hotels, restaurants etc will then want to get back to business as soon as they can.
Thanks for the positivity. We will have to meet up when this mess is over.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

“We will have to meet up when this mess is over.”

Off topic but anyone bothered?

I suspect meet ups of forum members rarely happen. But the point brings back a memory. Many years ago I needed a new razor. I did a bit of research and to my amazement I stumbled across a shaving forum. Couldn’t believe it. Guys actually discussing all aspects of shaving. I soon discovered many other similar forums across the world. It began for me an amazing journey. I ended up buying an old fashioned razor and a shaving brush and started using creams and soaps. Seeing the obsession forum members had with shaving products I started a shaving blog about shaving technique and products. And then I decided to publish a blog about shaving brushes. I bought a wide variety of brushes from cheap to expensive across a range of makers and wrote reviews about each brush. I learnt so much about how brushes were made I decided to start my own shaving brush business. Having built a following through my blogs I was able to give publicity to my first brush. I had 160 brushes made to my specification in China. It sold out in two hours! I eventually moved on and made brushes in the New Forest. I had a friend with a small workshop who made the handles individually on a lathe. I organised everything else. Within months my brushes were going worldwide to great reviews. I ran the business for nine years and closed it down. I had many offers to manufacture for other brands and to buy the business. But I refused all offers. I started it and finished it. And it was one of the most satisfying thing I have done in my retirement years. The profits have paid for all my retirement interests including motor bikes and obsessions like bell collecting (another blog)

And back to the memory. Someone on my UK shaving forum suggested a meet up. It did actually come off. About 20 of us met in a London pub and went on a tour of some of London’s popular shaving shops like Trumpers and Taylor’s of Bond Street. It was great fun. Nice to meet up with people who who shared a particular interest. Perhaps we might do it one day.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Rocketman
Martin Kuhl

Post by Rocketman »

This forum and all the other similar ones are perfect examples of "physical distancing", a sub-set of "social distancing", so long may they continue. In the current climate they are a good release of frustration from being tied up at home 24/7. Up here in N Arizona I was staggered to find a couple of month ago that there are at least 50 other Brits here (sadly none of them Pompey supporters yet), and for USP-F- I know there is a similar grouping down in Phoenix of over 600 Brits! Hang in there everyone, the media loves to extend the panic but truth is that this will likely all be over in a month or two at the most.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Rocketman wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:00 pm Hang in there everyone, the media loves to extend the panic but truth is that this will likely all be over in a month or two at the most.
Do you also post as Donald Trump by any chance :?