"Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: "Tis better to die on our feet than live on our knees

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:16 pm I go back to the stats from LA county.

"Over the last week, two overlapping teams of scientists in California released the first results of big antibody surveys to determine how many people have already been infected with the coronavirus. Their estimates were jaw-dropping.
In Silicon Valley, the true number of coronavirus infections could be 50 to 85 times higher than the number of reported ones. And in Los Angeles County, there might be 28 to 55 times more people infected than the official count."

This might indicate the US has had 25-50 million cases. That antibody test is becoming widely available (yes, I know there are many versions and that there are some issues with the non FDA Approved ones) and those will show the true stats (FACTS) of the situation.

Also the differences between NZ and Sweden. I'd say both countries are relatively similar in size, population, # of cities and relative isolation from other countries. As mentioned, Sweden has educated the public but more or less carried on as normal where as NZ has possibly the tightest lockdown around and has really minimized cases more than any other. So, when this all comes around again, NZ will have to shut up shop again and Sweden will carry on as normal again. I'd rather live in Sweden. If y'all would rather live in NZ that's fine! Sweden for me though.
Unfortunately that's all completely irrelevant if, as has been suggested, immunity is at best short-lived.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

Attention has been focused on the deaths in UK care homes. Every death is sad. But get the context. Average age of residents is 87. Two thirds are over 85. Average stay is 462 days. Most deaths are among those with serious health conditions. Three of my family spent several years in a care home with the rest of us praying for an early release from their suffering. Of course all must be done to save life but there are circumstances when it is a blessed relief to lose someone.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Cinci,
Just read the post and as usual, we agree of many points. I struggle to see healthy people losing their businesses and careers who are low-risk. I think re-opening with precautions needs to happen sooner rather than later.

It was nice to hear someone other tham was getting grief for once. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:35 pm Cinci,
Just read the post and as usual, we agree of many points. I struggle to see healthy people losing their businesses and careers who are low-risk. I think re-opening with precautions needs to happen sooner rather than later.

It was nice to hear someone other tham was getting grief for once. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have to get a haircut from Mrs. Kids "stylist" who comes round Kid Mansion. So instead of paying my barber shop guy $15, I have to pay $10 more for a younger female to rub her curvy figure in my face for half an hour, The sacrifices are killing me.
Div III. Call it what it is.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:26 pm
uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:35 pm Cinci,

I have to get a haircut from Mrs. Kids "stylist" who comes round Kid Mansion. So instead of paying my barber shop guy $15, I have to pay $10 more for a younger female to rub her curvy figure in my face for half an hour, The sacrifices are killing me.
Wife does my hair and also the boys - we get to pick you tube music / videos to keep us quiet during the forced torture. I am happy to watch 4-1 highlights every couple of weeks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
phat_chris
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by phat_chris »

Or you could just let your hair grow a bit. Hardly a hardship being unable to get your hair done 😂
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

phat_chris wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 pm Or you could just let your hair grow a bit. Hardly a hardship being unable to get your hair done 😂
I reckon Cinci is secretly sporting a bald scalp with Jackie Charlton style comb-over - Mrs. Kid is probably looking for more :twisted: :lol:
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

uspompeyfan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:44 pm
phat_chris wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:04 pm Or you could just let your hair grow a bit. Hardly a hardship being unable to get your hair done 😂
I reckon Cinci is secretly sporting a bald scalp with Jackie Charlton style comb-over - Mrs. Kid is probably looking for more :twisted: :lol:
Nope, I'm developing the worlds best widows peak. I also wear a lot of hats. Definitely a hat guy. Id probably shave it all before going Charlton.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

I'm a hat guy too. Here I am on a visit to Fort Worth having a Stetson shaped to fit to go with the boots and buckle that every visitor to Texas should go home with.

I bought a replica revolver there too. Forgot to mention it when I booked in at the airport on my return. Loudspeaker called me to report for a police interview. The gun showed up on Xray. After I showed the receipt we shared a coffee and a pleasant chat.
CIMG0265.jpeg
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham

And very good it looks too NF.

Meanwhile, back on topic, protests are spreading here and have moved on from the govt. haters and the gun nuts and into the mainstream.
Also strangely, nicotine might now be good for you so fire up that cigar. :smt033
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:39 am And very good it looks too NF.

Meanwhile, back on topic, protests are spreading here and have moved on from the govt. haters and the gun nuts and into the mainstream.
Also strangely, nicotine might now be good for you so fire up that cigar. :smt033
Its taken a while for many to realise what a farce these lockdowns are .
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:06 pm Its taken a while for many to realise what a farce these lockdowns are .
Are they a farce, or were they (in the UK's case at least) simply put in place too late and not strict enough?
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by GreenBlue »

The lock-down is a massive financial burden on many and a huge inconvenience to others. It is messing with the world economy and some people are not visiting doctors or hospital for fear of catching this thing.

But... there is no way that it can be referred to as a farce. This virus had (and still has) the potential to be a massive killer. Not just of the old and vulnerable but anyone. Many people are understandably looking at this situation from a very selfish perspective and not seeing the bigger picture. The vast majority of credible doctors and scientists agree with the measures we are taking and they are the people I will listen to and believe. There are some who say it is a conspiracy but there are some who say the same about climate change. Oh, and of course there are flat earthers. :rofl
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:36 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:06 pm Its taken a while for many to realise what a farce these lockdowns are .
Are they a farce, or were they (in the UK's case at least) simply put in place too late and not strict enough?
Almost two thirds of countries didn't do s lockdowns. the six of the most locked down , France Germany Italy Spain Uk and USA account for 71% of deaths but just 8%of the world's population

Sage are reportedly now not even sure how well the virus survives in the air and are reviewing the 2metre rule next week.

Repercussions of the lockdown will be catastrophic . We have had Matt Hancock and Chris Witty practically begging people to go to hospital or their GP for other illnesses as people are afraid to go now due to the stay at home, protect the NHS message . Not to mention the impending increase in poverty in the coming months.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:57 pm Almost two thirds of countries didn't do s lockdowns. the six of the most locked down , France Germany Italy Spain Uk and USA account for 71% of deaths but just 8%of the world's population

Sage are reportedly now not even sure how well the virus survives in the air and are reviewing the 2metre rule next week.

Repercussions of the lockdown will be catastrophic . We have had Matt Hancock and Chris Witty practically begging people to go to hospital or their GP for other illnesses as people are afraid to go now due to the stay at home, protect the NHS message . Not to mention the impending increase in poverty in the coming months.
Two-thirds of countries may not have done (yet), but it won't be as necessary or effective in some countries. Population density AND population mobility are the key factors in how many and how quickly people will get it. I know that people are hurting, but the repercussions will be even more catastrophic if restrictions are lifted to early.