'Catlin hits back at widespread talk that Pompey's season is over ...'

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

'Catlin hits back at widespread talk that Pompey's season is over ...'

Post by streetrifle »

I can't believe this headline in The News tonight.

Catlin is in cloud cuckoo land or in complete denial if he thinks there is any chance of Pompey completing this season. Surely the vote this week will show that the clubs have no stomach for completing the season behind closed doors. Many clubs are in dire financial straits and can't afford the cost involved of staging the games behind closed doors e.g. travelling, hotels, etc. even allowing for the revenue from IFollow coverage. Also the players are clearly worried about the risk of infection, surely not worth taking particularly when some clubs clearly have nothing to play for.

As far as Pompey are concerned the sole aim would be to achieve playoff status, but would they welcome those extra games in addition, and there would not be a Wembley Final at the end of it, would there?
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Re: 'Catlin hits back at widespread talk that Pompey's season is over ...'

Post by pompeygunner »

streetrifle wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:02 pm I can't believe this headline in The News tonight.

Catlin is in cloud cuckoo land or in complete denial if he thinks there is any chance of Pompey completing this season. Surely the vote this week will show that the clubs have no stomach for completing the season behind closed doors. Many clubs are in dire financial straits and can't afford the cost involved of staging the games behind closed doors e.g. travelling, hotels, etc. even allowing for the revenue from IFollow coverage. Also the players are clearly worried about the risk of infection, surely not worth taking particularly when some clubs clearly have nothing to play for.

As far as Pompey are concerned the sole aim would be to achieve playoff status, but would they welcome those extra games in addition, and there would not be a Wembley Final at the end of it, would there?
+1.
In fact the whole of football in UK appear to be in cloud cuckoo land. The PL want to push on, it'll take just one player to test positive during this time to scupper 3 teams. His own, the team they played previously & the team they've just played. Its all about money & I cant believe most of the players with families would go with it.
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Milton End »

+1

But you never know with the world of the football business: there are plenty of egos still bidding for promotion, regardless of the medical consequences.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

I think you've got to finish it at some point as too many people have got interests in the outcome so whatever decision is made is wrong for someone e.g. at points per game we finish 5th but with some bizarre weighting they're talking about it's 7th. So whatever decision is made someone will be upset and lawsuits will follow. It doesn't matter when you finish it , next year if that's appropriate , next season hasn't started yet so can be changed to fit circumstances without upsetting anyone .
PS I also think that if teams like Morecambe can't attract more than a thousand people to a game and they'll struggle to finish a season behind closed doors then maybe they don't deserve to be a league team anyway.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

As an aside, I'm surprised at the number of professional footballers who have voiced their concerns over risking playing. I thought they were all going to be tested before being allowed to play? I wonder if their attitude would be different if they were furloughed and earning a maximum of £2,500 per month before tax?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Purbrook Chimes wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:04 pm PS I also think that if teams like Morecambe can't attract more than a thousand people to a game and they'll struggle to finish a season behind closed doors then maybe they don't deserve to be a league team anyway.
Bit harsh, Purbs. They've got there on sporting merit, in spite of poor support.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
portchesterblue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by portchesterblue »

The pl have issued guidelines for training to the pl clubs, no tackling and disinfected pitches. Hiw can you expect to play full blooded games if that's the training.
The whole of sport needs to wake up and accept that this season is over
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:02 pm
Purbrook Chimes wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:04 pm PS I also think that if teams like Morecambe can't attract more than a thousand people to a game and they'll struggle to finish a season behind closed doors then maybe they don't deserve to be a league team anyway.
Bit harsh, Purbs. They've got there on sporting merit, in spite of poor support.
My issue is that if you look through the leagues there are clearly clubs playing at a level/salary cost that is not sustainable with the crowds they attract. So either they have a great manager (etc.), or the owners are pouring money into the club, or they are operating at significant losses.

There is little work from the lower leagues (AFAIK), but from the PL there is enough data that shows that (apart from one-off seasons) position in the table is dependent on money spent on players; a good manager can only improve a team a little, although a poor one can have a large negative impact. So the latter two options are far more likely, and whether or not this is within fair play regulations, we all know where that leads in the long-term.

It is probably wildly optomistic, but I hope that the current situation makes more clubs run at closer to a sustainable budget. This applies to all clubs from the PL down to levels six and beyond where owners try and buy their way to "success", and then leave the club and fans in a mess when the owner loses money or interest in the project.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:11 pm It is probably wildly optomistic, but I hope that the current situation makes more clubs run at closer to a sustainable budget. This applies to all clubs from the PL down to levels six and beyond where owners try and buy their way to "success", and then leave the club and fans in a mess when the owner loses money or interest in the project.
That would be a good outcome of this current situation, however I suspect that what will end up happening is that the gulf between the PL and everyone else will just get larger. Many lower league clubs will go out of business, those left will have to become more sustainable, and those with wealthy backers will carry on regardless.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Some of the 'wealthy backers' may no longer be wealthy at the end of this though.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:42 pm Some of the 'wealthy backers' may no longer be wealthy at the end of this though.
True, but I guess still wealthy compared to the others.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:13 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:42 pm Some of the 'wealthy backers' may no longer be wealthy at the end of this though.
Quite possibly, but not necessarily willing to continue p!ssing it against the wall of a lower league football club.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:18 pm
PakefieldBlue wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:13 pm
Quite possibly, but not necessarily willing to continue p!ssing it against the wall of a lower league football club.
No, but many probably willing to throw it to m'learned friends to argue against whatever closure system is agreed (Peterborough's owner to the fore).
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

League One: Six clubs 'collective in goal' to complete season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52670556

Six out of 23 League 1, Six out of 47, Leagues 1 & 2

Do the math. (4 Cincinutti)
Do the maths (everyone else)
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

And here's the proof the numbers don't add up....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52679614

Time Sunderland, Pompey, Peterboro and the rest on that very short list got real.