Are we just being Pompey?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Are we just being Pompey?

Post by uspompeyfan »

Trying to follow the League One closure for the season. It looks cut and dried that Pompey will make the play-offs if the season is called off, so......

Was Pompey joining the 6-club revolt at ending the season just a measured response to make the club look good at trying to be fair? Or did the club seriously want to try and ram home the last ten games of the season when all form from games 1-36 would have gone out the window. This way we get rid of two or three strong clubs (P'boro, Sunderland and Ipswich - the last two are only complaining because they had no other chance other than playing all games).

At this point, I just want the season over and all decided so we can look forward to the next campaign....... but now that I've suffered two weekends of German empty stadiums, I still wish to see Pompey play again.

What are other people's thoughts on this......
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Are we just being Pompey?

Post by Sam_Brown »

To me any games that go ahead without the fans just don’t feel the same. I’m happy for them to wrap up this season but personally would rather they wait until the fans can go back before starting the next season. Same with the cup final. Much rather they wait until the fans can attend. I appreciate the chances of either happening is slim but just my preference.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:08 am To me any games that go ahead without the fans just don’t feel the same. I’m happy for them to wrap up this season but personally would rather they wait until the fans can go back before starting the next season. Same with the cup final. Much rather they wait until the fans can attend. I appreciate the chances of either happening is slim but just my preference.
I do agree with you Sam Brown but equally feel that this just won't happen now. Strangely I don't feel particularly excited about the prospective of the Play-offs, at the moment it would seem weird and somehow less valid to win promotion this way.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I've lost interest in L1. I expect this will change once we get round to playing the play-off games, but at present I am not bothered if Pompey get promoted or not. I wonder how much the outcomes will depend on the motivation levels of the players after so long off.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:45 am I wonder how much the outcomes will depend on the motivation levels of the players after so long off.
I'd like to think the chance of playing in a higher league would be all the motivation the players would need. Depressing to think that some players would phone it in because they've not played for a few months. Even from a players being selfish point of view it puts them in the shop window for the transfer market even if we don't get promoted.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I suspect that most of us will be happy to stay in L1 for now. Better to go up as Champions with a real chance of staying up than scraping through and coming straight back down. Play offs will have to be without the fans.It’s the only option.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Football shouldn't be played without fans imo . End it now and put us out of our misery
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I think its an opportunity, and playoffs should go ahead - fans or no fans. A lot of clubs are going to be financially under pressure next season, which means the transfer market will be depressed. There will be some bargains to be had and a lot of talent available. Agents are going to have their work cut out.

There is no perfect time to go up or down, but I think its more important now than ever. The gap between upper and lower tier football is about to expand. We should be doing everything possible to drag ourselves up right now. Its going to be a lot harder to compete in a year or two when the dust has settled. Worst case scenario, with so many clubs in trouble, I can feasibly see Leagues One and Two combining. A few bankruptcies, maybe a few reluctant mergers, I don't believe it would take much.

And just a reminder that the last time the league suffered financial woes (the ITV Digital collapse), we romped home with the Title. All because we had a little extra in the bank (thanks Crouchie). I'm not suggesting we're flush with cash, but it appears we are in control, with backers ready to supplement when needed.

I think we should be going guns blazing to get up as soon opportunity permits.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Weybridge wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:27 pm I think its an opportunity, and playoffs should go ahead - fans or no fans. A lot of clubs are going to be financially under pressure next season, which means the transfer market will be depressed. There will be some bargains to be had and a lot of talent available. Agents are going to have their work cut out.

There is no perfect time to go up or down, but I think its more important now than ever. The gap between upper and lower tier football is about to expand. We should be doing everything possible to drag ourselves up right now. Its going to be a lot harder to compete in a year or two when the dust has settled. Worst case scenario, with so many clubs in trouble, I can feasibly see Leagues One and Two combining. A few bankruptcies, maybe a few reluctant mergers, I don't believe it would take much.

And just a reminder that the last time the league suffered financial woes (the ITV Digital collapse), we romped home with the Title. All because we had a little extra in the bank (thanks Crouchie). I'm not suggesting we're flush with cash, but it appears we are in control, with backers ready to supplement when needed.

I totally agree with you Weybridge. Added to your viewpoint, there is also the argument that League One will be a VERY competitive one next season and, therefore, even harder to get out of, with not only the likelihood of Charlton, Barnsley and Luton dropping in to it and Plymouth and Swindon coming up, but also the possibility/likelihood of Peterborough, Sunderland, Ipswich, Oxford, etc. all still in the league.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Selsey Bill wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:12 am
Weybridge wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:27 pm I think its an opportunity, and playoffs should go ahead - fans or no fans. A lot of clubs are going to be financially under pressure next season, which means the transfer market will be depressed. There will be some bargains to be had and a lot of talent available. Agents are going to have their work cut out.

I totally agree with you Weybridge. Added to your viewpoint, there is also the argument that League One will be a VERY competitive one next season and, therefore, even harder to get out of, with not only the likelihood of Charlton, Barnsley and Luton dropping in to it and Plymouth and Swindon coming up, but also the possibility/likelihood of Peterborough, Sunderland, Ipswich, Oxford, etc. all still in the league.
Agree totally with you both.