Goodbye Burgess

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Goodbye Burgess

Post by Dinksy »

Neil Allen just confirmed on Twitter.
He's got a "three-years-plus" deal with a Belgian club and they have given permission for him to play in the play-offs.
Interesting one that. I would certainly play him, but will Jackett?
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Dinksy wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:28 pm Neil Allen just confirmed on Twitter.
He's got a "three-years-plus" deal with a Belgian club and they have given permission for him to play in the play-offs.
Is the Belgian club not being announced for any reason ?
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 pm
He's joining Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, better known as Union SG. They are based in the Brussels area. Apparently, CB signed a 3 year deal with them some time ago. Wish him all the best.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Selsey Bill wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:22 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:43 pm
He's joining Royale Union Saint-Gilloise, better known as Union SG. They are based in the Brussels area. Apparently, CB signed a 3 year deal with them some time ago. Wish him all the best.
Oh right, thanks. Must have missed that somehow . Good luck to him
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 192 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

All agreed Burge & Raggett cleared to play in the "Play-Offs". Another six Players whose contracts expire next week have had their contracts extended so they are available too.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Even Pitman. Somebody swallowed their pride.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Interesting piece in The News today with Burgess letting it be known he would have signed a new deal had Pompey offered him one earlier in the season. As it is, the club have earned nothing from his move.
I respect Catlin for a lot of good things but I suspect poker is not one of his better games.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 pm Interesting piece in The News today with Burgess letting it be known he would have signed a new deal had Pompey offered him one earlier in the season. As it is, the club have earned nothing from his move.
I respect Catlin for a lot of good things but I suspect poker is not one of his better games.
From Pompey's point of view, Catlin does not know what level of pay he needs to offer, because he doesn't know what the going rate will be (ie Champs or L1). That said, they got Curtis tied down nice and quick, so they could have done so with Burge too.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Also don't we owe a large sum of money to Peterborough if we get promoted, maybe we didn't want to risk paying that
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:48 pm [quote=Dinksy post_id=896248 time=<a href="tel:1593029340">1593029340</a> user_id=42922]
Interesting piece in The News today with Burgess letting it be known he would have signed a new deal had Pompey offered him one earlier in the season. As it is, the club have earned nothing from his move.
From Pompey's point of view, Catlin does not know what level of pay he needs to offer, because he doesn't know what the going rate will be (ie Champs or L1). That said, they got Curtis tied down nice and quick, so they could have done so with Burge too.
[/quote]

I suppose attackers have a far bigger resale value than Centre Halves. Plus I imagine Curtis’ initial contract was comparative peanuts bringing him from Derry. Getting him to resign benefitted both and Club hugely.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Burgess might have signed a new deal with Pompey if offered one, but we don't know what that offer would have needed to be for him to accept. As we possibly head to reduced squad size and or salary caps, not giving out a big deal to one player in December might turn out to be a good move. Burgess has improved markedly this year, the player now is very different from the one we would have expected from previous knowledge.

Burgess is just the sort of intelligent, engaged player who could get a lot out of the experience of playing abroad. I think this is a good move for him and wish him luck.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:48 pm
Dinksy wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:09 pm Interesting piece in The News today with Burgess letting it be known he would have signed a new deal had Pompey offered him one earlier in the season. As it is, the club have earned nothing from his move.
From Pompey's point of view, Catlin does not know what level of pay he needs to offer, because he doesn't know what the going rate will be (ie Champs or L1).
This was my thought as well. Far too many variables at play. Plus we don't know if it would upset any existing wage structures or cause more people to come forward and want new contracts for more money.

From someone who has a bit of management experience I have seen how ugly it gets and how morale can suffer when someone gets a pay rise and it becomes public I don't envy anyone having to deal with contract negotiations at any team and at any time let alone with salary caps and economic issues looming on the horizon.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

The other thing to bear in mind is that, at the time when Burgess is saying he'd have signed (ie at or around Xmas), his stock wasn't as high as it is now.

This time last year, he was 3rd or 4th choice centre back, behind Downing & Raggett for sure, and also behind Whatmough (when fit). He started playing regularly around September/October and even back then was still prone to mistakes.

I don't believe he warranted the kind of deal he was eventually offered by Pompey at the time he was looking at these other offers.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Christian Burgess says thanks and goodbye.

His final record with Portsmouth (which also covers Gareth Evans's seasons so far).

210 appearances; 12 goals.

2015-16 L2 play-offs
2016-17 L2 Champions
2017-18 L1
2018-19 L1 play-offs & EFL Trophy winners
2019-20 L1 play-offs

Disappointments in the play-offs along the way, but overall a great period for him and the club. Add in his extensive community work and engagement with the city and Christian Burgess will be fondly remembered as a top Pompey player.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Nice touch, that, you don't get that kind of thing from departing players very often. Mr Burgess is cut from a different cloth to most professional footballers.