Goodbye Burgess

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Goodbye Burgess

Post by Dinksy »

Looks like he's off.
Shame, he's had one of his best seasons for us and has always been a great ambassador for the club but can't blame him.
Would promotion make a difference?

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/foot ... it-2871057
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Goodbye Burgess

Post by Sam_Brown »

Can't help but feel like this is Jackett \ Burgess attempting to get the owners to open the chequebook.

The important question is assuming we can convince him to stay how much are we willing to pay to do so? Considering A) it'll make other players think they can do a similar game to get more money and B) potentially more importantly set us down the path of spending more money than we should and getting us back into debt again.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The difference between Christian Burgess and pretty much any other footballer is that he has actually got a brain between his ears.

He is just going to weigh up his options at the season's conclusion, see what division we are in, see what other offers are available. Just like Nathan Thompson did last season. He is 28 this year, it's going to be his last "big" contract, as by the time it concludes, he'll be over 30, and unable to command the same level of pay.

CB will have seen what happened to Thompson, saw how he got stitched up, and lost out on a couple of month's pay. He will also be aware that it's unlikely that wages on offer will be reducing, as clubs realise they need a buffer of cash in the bank to see them through any unforeseen times that they come across, eg the unlikely event of a global virus pandemic closing professional sport down for months on end, that kinda thing.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he's leaving, it may well be that we are his best option.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:51 pm eg the unlikely event of a global virus pandemic closing professional sport down for months on end, that kinda thing.
You could have thought of a more credible example... :lol:
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I have mixed feelings about the prospect of losing Burgess. I think we agree that he is possibly not quite Championship standard, and for a good part of his Pompey career was generally regarded by the fans as having 'a mistake in him sooner or later'. This season was one of his best clearly but I should feel that with good recruitment and some money to spend we could do better in his position.
Good bloke as we know in the community and he would leave with a good deal of respect and gratitude for his contribution on and off the field.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

What do people feel about his leadership on the pitch and what we would lose in that regards if he were to leave?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:38 am What do people feel about his leadership on the pitch and what we would lose in that regards if he were to leave?
It would be a shame to lose him for all the reasons already mentioned but this current time has shown that careers are fragile and so he wants the best option he can find. I can't help feeling that Downing will come good next season - he has done well elsewhere and hopefully will prove himself.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

GreenBlue wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:02 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:51 pm eg the unlikely event of a global virus pandemic closing professional sport down for months on end, that kinda thing.
You could have thought of a more credible example... :lol:
Sorry, I'll try harder next time.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

I'm not convinced he actually wants to leave, but as others have said this is his last chance of a 'big' move so this feels more like CB negotiating for a better deal for himself for the next two years. I'm not convinced any Championship team would come in for him, and therefore can't see him necessarily getting a better deal elsewhere. He's a great guy and undoubtedly done so much in the local community, but he's not irreplaceable as a footballer. My main concern is that Jackett hasn't had the best track record of signing centre backs for us so who would we end up with as a replacement?
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

PakefieldBlue wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:38 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:38 am What do people feel about his leadership on the pitch and what we would lose in that regards if he were to leave?
It would be a shame to lose him for all the reasons already mentioned but this current time has shown that careers are fragile and so he wants the best option he can find. I can't help feeling that Downing will come good next season - he has done well elsewhere and hopefully will prove himself.
I read a piece that said that Downing had done more to keep himself fit than virtually any other first-team player, so he was in with a realistic chance of winning his place back for when games resume - we will need the people who are in the best shape.

Centre-backs seem to me to be a bit like goalkeepers - they mature into better players with experience, and I think that's what Burgess is benefiting from now.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Under the present circumstances, clubs need to save money and losing out-of-contract players is the easy way to do this. Obviously, some players have to be replaced, for example at the moment we have no LB for next season as Brown, Haunstrup and Sedden are all out of contract. If a player can replaced with a cheaper option, clubs will go there, whether it be a young in-house solution or signing a player who is desperate for a contract. There could be some very poor, or at best lop-sided, teams in L1 next season.

Players who can cover multiple positions are going to be more valuable than ever.

As to Burgess, I think some of this will depend on whether we can/want to sign Raggett full time. With a reduced squad size, Whatmough, Downing and one of Burgess/Raggett (plus Casey and Naylor(?)) would do. (Hawkins is also out of contract, and I assume will look for playing time somewhere).
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Pompey Penguin wrote: As to Burgess, I think some of this will depend on whether we can/want to sign Raggett full time. With a reduced squad size, Whatmough, Downing and one of Burgess/Raggett (plus Casey and Naylor(?)) would do. (Hawkins is also out of contract, and I assume will look for playing time somewhere).
Clearly its not our decision ref Burgess. He's almost certainly off, Anderlecht apparently are keen. Who could blame him if true.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

pompeygunner wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:38 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: As to Burgess, I think some of this will depend on whether we can/want to sign Raggett full time. With a reduced squad size, Whatmough, Downing and one of Burgess/Raggett (plus Casey and Naylor(?)) would do. (Hawkins is also out of contract, and I assume will look for playing time somewhere).
Clearly its not our decision ref Burgess. He's almost certainly off, Anderlecht apparently are keen. Who could blame him if true.
Certainly. I would never want to stand in the way of a player going on to better/higher things. I thought it was just a contract negotiation, but if teams like Anderlecht are interested, I will just wish Burgess well and welcome him back to FP at any time. A model professional and a credit to himself and the club.
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

I think that Burgess seems to be continuing to improve and develop and like others say has had a good season. Wherever he spends his next 3 or 4 years, they will see him at his peak.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Sawbo Blue wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:11 pm I think that Burgess seems to be continuing to improve and develop and like others say has had a good season. Wherever he spends his next 3 or 4 years, they will see him at his peak.
I agree Sawbo. It will be a loss if he goes elsewhere but I guess that the only chance we have of keeping him will be if Pompey are playing in the Championship, and even then his eyes may be turned by clubs on the continent.