So, we are in the playoffs.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: So, we are in the playoffs.

Post by Pompey Penguin »

You never turn down promotion. Even if it is an up-and-relegated experience, it is better than trying again next year. I see that Luton, Barnsley & Charlton are now all in the bottom three of the Championship, so it is clearly difficult to make the jump, but I think Jackett is the kind of cautious manager who could manage survival. Provided we don't try and compete by amassing the sort of debt that is common in the Championship, then I will happily take our chances.

If we don't get promotion, then there is no guarantee which players will stay for another season. It will be another fresh start against some tough opposition.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:51 pm You never turn down promotion. Even if it is an up-and-relegated experience, it is better than trying again next year. I see that Luton, Barnsley & Charlton are now all in the bottom three of the Championship, so it is clearly difficult to make the jump, but I think Jackett is the kind of cautious manager who could manage survival. Provided we don't try and compete by amassing the sort of debt that is common in the Championship, then I will happily take our chances.

If we don't get promotion, then there is no guarantee which players will stay for another season. It will be another fresh start against some tough opposition.
He defo has previous with Wolves and Milwall but agree we need to be sensible and not get carried away.

I don't like looking at it from the business point of view but even if we get promoted, are modest with our spending and come straight back down then it could still be a net financial bonus which would help provide a better foundation for the next attempt.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:51 pm You never turn down promotion. Even if it is an up-and-relegated experience, it is better than trying again next year. I see that Luton, Barnsley & Charlton are now all in the bottom three of the Championship, so it is clearly difficult to make the jump, but I think Jackett is the kind of cautious manager who could manage survival. Provided we don't try and compete by amassing the sort of debt that is common in the Championship, then I will happily take our chances.

Pretty much everything you said 👍
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:21 pm
Dinksy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 pm Yes, it would be nice to finish on a winning game whatever the final outcome.
TBH, I hardly care anymore.
Promotion without the fans will be a hollow experience and we are miles behind the quality needed to compete in the Championship.
Unless there is a treasure of funds Tornante hasn't told us about, it would be prudent to spend another year building so that when we get there, we will stay there.
Totally disagree; What about all the other clubs who are thinking the same. i.e. make a push for it next season. We would be up against Sunderland, Peterborough, Ipswich, Plymouth, and the 3 money bags teams coming down from the championship.

I absolutely care and I don't think we'll get another chance like this one.
100% agree with you and have stated similar elsewhere. It will be far tougher to get out of this league next year. This is a big opportunity, but I feel a lot of this will come down to the state of mind of the players. Hopefully, they will be desperate to make amends for last season, and to get to play at Wembley again, albeit without any fans in the stadium.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 pm Unless there is a treasure of funds Tornante hasn't told us about, it would be prudent to spend another year building so that when we get there, we will stay there.
I'm sure I remember a few months back, either Catlin or one of the Eisners saying that there would be some funds available to strengthen the squad in order to stay in the Champs. I didn't take that to mean that we'd have a realistic chance of promotion though.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Sawbo Blue
Robbie Pethick
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sawbo Blue »

It could be said there is no better time to get promotion to the Championship. There are likely to be a fair few teams floundering next season off the pitch (and quite possibly a few going into administration with potential points deductions) and with Pompey having financial stability, could see us benefit.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Sawbo Blue wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:11 pm It could be said there is no better time to get promotion to the Championship. There are likely to be a fair few teams floundering next season off the pitch (and quite possibly a few going into administration with potential points deductions) and with Pompey having financial stability, could see us benefit.
Excellent point
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by GreenBlue »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:44 pm
New Forester wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:39 pm Let’s relax and enjoy.
I love your sentiment @New Forester but I have a feeling I will find it difficult to follow. I'll be tense and hating it probably.
New Forester wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:41 pm I'm nervous already. First anxiety since 10 March.
:lol: :smt006
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

My feeling is that this is a much better opportunity than last year. Rather these three opponents than Sunderland and Peterborough.
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:59 pm My feeling is that this is a much better opportunity than last year. Rather these three opponents than Sunderland and Peterborough.
Agreed. The wisdom from this board has persuaded me that this is an ideal time to get into the Championship and because we have stable ownership we have a good chance of staying up. Let's hope that isn't the kiss of death!