3 players released

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 12 times

3 players released

Post by Berkshire Blue »

I see that the News are reporting that Luke McGhee, Ben Casey and Adam May have been released.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 150 times

Re: 3 players released

Post by Sam_Brown »

So two confirmed and one may?

Sorry I'll see myself out.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

No surprise on McGhee; third choice keeper on a L1 team. He didn't do too much wrong for Pompey (apart from Bury away!) and will be looking for a chance to start somewhere. A bit of a comedown after being well regarded when coming from Spurs.

I am surprised at Casey (It's Matt not Ben). I thought that he would be a useful player if we are moving into an era of reduced squad sizes (or salary caps) and lack of clarity around our CB player futures, but clearly not fancied at Pompey. The sort of tall lower league young player who I am sure will find a team willing to give him a chance that he will learn as he matures into the CB position.

May is an odd one. Remember that three years ago when we started in L1 May was first choice CMF alongside Stuart O'Keefe before everything went downhill. He was overtaken by Ben CLose, and then a number of loan spells followed. He is clearly very talented and can pass the ball, but never seemed to grow into a first team player. I am not sure where he goes from here.

We can but wish them all well.

The more interesting batch will be once the play-offs are over.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Truly amazed not to see Brett Pitman on that list. I get that KJ wants to keep his options open, but then that would also be the case with the three that have been released.

I understand he's not training at Roko at the moment, and was not involved in the Reading game at all.

Quite surprised about Casey, he looked very comfortable in the CaT quarter against Peterborough - I would have thought that he's one for the future, but then CBs seem to mature slower than other positions.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

I was a little surprised at Casey too, but it seems he's not exactly shone at Bognor. And that's not even National League standard, let alone EFL.

As you say, Centre Halves do mature a little later, and maybe we're releasing him for his own good. If he's not close enough to our own first team, then all we're doing is hindering his progress as a professional by retaining him.

Whichever division we are in next year, we're going to need experience there, and CHs are plentiful and cheap.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Oops - sorry Matt, I don't know where the Ben came from. I thought that he looked decent in the couple of games I've seen him, and hope he finds somewhere to progress.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Weybridge wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 pm I was a little surprised at Casey too, but it seems he's not exactly shone at Bognor. And that's not even National League standard, let alone EFL.

As you say, Centre Halves do mature a little later, and maybe we're releasing him for his own good. If he's not close enough to our own first team, then all we're doing is hindering his progress as a professional by retaining him.

Whichever division we are in next year, we're going to need experience there, and CHs are plentiful and cheap.
It's odd, isn't it, how players can shine in some environments and not in others.

Adam May is another case in point. He started off as a better prospect than Ben Close, had some good games in our first team, and he had a good time on loan at Sutton (nearly scored against Arsenal in the cup, if you recall), yet he completely flopped at Swindon.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham
Has liked: 221 times
Been liked: 111 times

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

My belief is that with many young players they make a break through to the next level and think they have "made it". The work ethic is relaxed and they do not realise that have to continue to work hard and practise & practise then practise some more. You hear stories about some of the "Really Good Players" and some of the "Greats". The "Class of 92" were astounded to hear that Eric Cantona was still out on the Training Ground after everyone had finished, practising his technic. They were told by the Training Staff that this happened every day, it was the norm for Cantona. The Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes, Butt and Giggs decided that if that`s what a "Great" like Cantona did that ,then they would too! Between them they must have racked up the best part of 300 International Caps. Bobby Charlton was talking to an interviewer (in the earshot of one of the Training Staff) when he said he never knew which was George Best`s strongest foot. The Coach butted in and said it was his right foot, but what you did not see was that after everyone had gone home from training George would practise with his left foot for hours and hours until it was as good as his right foot.

I was not a brilliant footballer myself but if I knew then what I know now I would have spent hours & hours practising rather than pursuing the female of the species!
You can take the man out of Pompey
But you can`t take Pompey out of the man
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:12 pm

I was not a brilliant footballer myself but if I knew then what I know now I would have spent hours & hours practising rather than pursuing the female of the species!
From what I dimly recall of George Best, he had a bl**dy good go at doing both!
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Yes, but he became a 'great' FIRST!!! 8)
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=eltorrro post_id=896055 time=1592405787 user_id=538]
[quote="Berkshire Blue" post_id=896054 time=1592401451 user_id=42043]
[quote=BlueinPLtwenty post_id=896053 time=1592395960 user_id=76]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He was a better footballer than I was!
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Berkshire Blue »

BlueinPLtwenty wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 pm
eltorrro wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:56 pm
Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:44 pm

He was a better footballer than I was!
He was a better footballer than pretty well everyone!
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

Sorry BPL20, didn't mean Besty became a 'great' before you!! I meant he became a 'great'...then pursued the females.

I'm sure you are a 'great' as well in your own way? 8)
BlueinPLtwenty
Guy Whittingham

Post by BlueinPLtwenty »

[quote=eltorrro post_id=896058 time=1592408563 user_id=538]
Sorry BPL20, didn't mean Besty became a 'great' before you!! I meant he became a 'great'...then pursued the females.

I'm sure you are a 'great' as well in your own way? 8)
[/quote]

No problem Mate