"That" Burnley Banner

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

"That" Burnley Banner

Post by GreenBlue »

I'm sure most will now have seen or read about the banner that was flown behind the plane above the Etihad Stadium as the players took the knee in support of the "Black Lives Matter" movement. Most decent people are rightly disgusted at what happened and Burnley FC apologised and distanced themselves from the banner. But some, including (of course) Daily Mail readers en masse, have expressed their support for the action. They are either expressing their sheer ignorance or, but hopefully not, their racist views.

Out of context, the phrase the phrase "White Lives Matter" is just as valid as "Black Lives Matter" as we all know that all lives matter but this was a deliberate act of provocation and fear or hatred of a movement.

I sincerely hope that most Pompey supporters would be as appalled as I am at such a banner being flown and, should Pompey players take the knee in support of 'Black Lives Matter', will supports this stance as a show of unity.
Mickemo
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: "That" Burnley Banner

Post by Mickemo »

Im with you on this Green Blue, as you said context is everything.
Ghengis Jones
Robbie Pethick

Post by Ghengis Jones »

Well put GB. :thumb
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

+1

Entirely agree - thanks for posting
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Funny old world we live where people seem more outraged over some numpty with a banner than they are about gangs of BLM supporters vandalising things, assaulting police and attacking members of the public Not to mention refugees stabbing people to death in parks but that's probably another conversation altogether.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:25 pm Funny old world we live where people seem more outraged over some numpty with a banner than they are about gangs of BLM supporters vandalising things, assaulting police and attacking members of the public Not to mention refugees stabbing people to death in parks but that's probably another conversation altogether.
Unfortunately, it's not that funny an old world where there is still a requirement in the 21st century for a "Black Lives Matter" movement but there clearly still is the requirement.

My original post was related to a single incident that took place over a football stadium but, for some reason, you appear to have widened it to the Black Lives Matter protests and a multiple murder in a park.

Regarding the first point, there were some actions that I was outraged by but the vast, vast majority of Black Lives Matter protesters were peaceful unlike the far-right much smaller crowds, a higher percentage of whom were thugs. Not sure why you failed to mention them? To be honest, although I agreed 100% with the sentiment behind the Black Lives Matter protests, it was unfortunate that they coincided with these times of social distancing. That being said, the time is, and always should have been NOW to demand fairness and equality for all. By the way, I have no real idea what the far right protests were about. Was it really just about protecting statues?

Regarding your other point, I was appalled by the actions of the individual but I don't understand why you so clearly highlighted the fact that he was a refugee. I wouldn't have been more or less appalled if it had been anybody else. It was appalling. Full stop.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

If I could, I’d put a full stop on this thread. One of my family started a Facebook thread. I’m still picking up the pieces.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

I agree with New Forester.
Very unfortunate that this subject has been opened up here.
This whole business has become worse than the ugly Brexit 'debate'.
'If you're not with us, you're against us' is the argument of cretins and zeolots.
Racism is abhorrent.
BLM is not so black and white.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

BLM protesters definitely were not largely peaceful in those first two weekends despite what the mainstream media might tell you . There are dozens of videos doing the rounds of lone white people being attacked . I saw one where a bloke was set upon by 30 or 40 blacks who were stamping on his head on the ground so much that his eye popped out
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

BLM started in America with the emphasis starting with inconsistent policing from white officers arresting black males, with a tendency on using unnecessary force.

BLM became a force during the Obama era after a string of incidents that, when the facts became known, were backed up - best example is Fergusson when the 'hands up, don't shoot' mantra that became a focal point was dismissed when witnesses (black witnesses by the way) claimed that the person had tried to steal the cops gun and then turned and ran at him. Other similar incidents have been debunked after the full context of the incident and body cam footage backed the police.

BLM is a left wing organization that is more interested now, in causing mayhem, riots and basically have been taken over by a more radical wing. They are not the peaceful protesters that started the movement, but have strong political motivations that have now spread Worldwide it seems.

Last weekend over 100 black Americans were shot in Chicago, with a 3 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl killed in gang violence. Are BLM there? No. They would have a better voice if they went into their own neighborhoods and cleaned up a meth house or stopped a gang war through peaceful protest and action.

The Black cop who was murdered by this crowd in St. Louis barely got a mention - does his life matter?

People need to accept that all lives, regardless of color, matter. UK people don't have the years of understanding this group. The Black Power fist that is raised everywhere with BLM is a throwback to the Black Panthers which were, and still are, a strong arm movement of the Black community.

I heard no one back up the policeman in the killing of George - he was a bad cop and his actions condemned by everyone, especially Trump who quickly ordered an inquiry (news didn't seem to mention this by the way). Most 'normal' people are disgusted at anyone who uses their position to bully and intimidate another.

I support the 99% of good cops who are servant leaders in the community and are made up of every color and background. I support law abiding citizens over thugs and vandals and legal immigrants over those that enter countries illegally and commit crimes without punishment (sanctuary city status is a crime against the Union).

This is a much bigger topic than an incendiary banner being flown. BLM do not want to find solutions, but create anarchy.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:05 pm BLM protesters definitely were not largely peaceful in those first two weekends despite what the mainstream media might tell you . There are dozens of videos doing the rounds of lone white people being attacked . I saw one where a bloke was set upon by 30 or 40 blacks who were stamping on his head on the ground so much that his eye popped out
The problem with videos like that is they often don't come with sources and a rudimentary bit of research often reveals they are from something that happened years ago. Not saying that is the case with this but best not to take everything you see on social media at face value. Remember there are people on both sides who will post false content on purpose with a view to muddying the waters or furthering an agenda.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

uspompeyfan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:00 pm BLM started in America with the emphasis starting with inconsistent policing from white officers arresting black males, with a tendency on using unnecessary force.

BLM became a force during the Obama era after a string of incidents that, when the facts became known, were backed up - best example is Fergusson when the 'hands up, don't shoot' mantra that became a focal point was dismissed when witnesses (black witnesses by the way) claimed that the person had tried to steal the cops gun and then turned and ran at him. Other similar incidents have been debunked after the full context of the incident and body cam footage backed the police.

BLM is a left wing organization that is more interested now, in causing mayhem, riots and basically have been taken over by a more radical wing. They are not the peaceful protesters that started the movement, but have strong political motivations that have now spread Worldwide it seems.

Last weekend over 100 black Americans were shot in Chicago, with a 3 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl killed in gang violence. Are BLM there? No. They would have a better voice if they went into their own neighborhoods and cleaned up a meth house or stopped a gang war through peaceful protest and action.

The Black cop who was murdered by this crowd in St. Louis barely got a mention - does his life matter?

People need to accept that all lives, regardless of color, matter. UK people don't have the years of understanding this group. The Black Power fist that is raised everywhere with BLM is a throwback to the Black Panthers which were, and still are, a strong arm movement of the Black community.

I heard no one back up the policeman in the killing of George - he was a bad cop and his actions condemned by everyone, especially Trump who quickly ordered an inquiry (news didn't seem to mention this by the way). Most 'normal' people are disgusted at anyone who uses their position to bully and intimidate another.

I support the 99% of good cops who are servant leaders in the community and are made up of every color and background. I support law abiding citizens over thugs and vandals and legal immigrants over those that enter countries illegally and commit crimes without punishment (sanctuary city status is a crime against the Union).

This is a much bigger topic than an incendiary banner being flown. BLM do not want to find solutions, but create anarchy.
I feel like most "angry" things that go main stream at the moment it's just something else to divide and distract and bad actors on social media and even the MSM are happy to play along as long as it gets them views. You could see the ground work being made a few weeks before it all kicked off on places like Reddit and Social Media with trolls and Russian \ Chinese bots starting to set the narrative. Hell for all I know I'm the only real person on here and everyone else is a bot \ troll. I mean we have had a fairly large influx of people with controversial opinions in the last few weeks and months who will make a few explosive comments and rile people up and slink off again. Where does that fit into your view of how things are being played out?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

I don't think I'm a bot. Just a minute, I'll just ask my wife............ ah, maybe I am. :lol:
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:13 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:05 pm BLM protesters definitely were not largely peaceful in those first two weekends despite what the mainstream media might tell you . There are dozens of videos doing the rounds of lone white people being attacked . I saw one where a bloke was set upon by 30 or 40 blacks who were stamping on his head on the ground so much that his eye popped out
The problem with videos like that is they often don't come with sources and a rudimentary bit of research often reveals they are from something that happened years ago. Not saying that is the case with this but best not to take everything you see on social media at face value. Remember there are people on both sides who will post false content on purpose with a view to muddying the waters or furthering an agenda.
I'm not on a side but if I'm interested in something I will do a bit if digging so I'm properly informed . At 45 years old I am aware that there's fake news floating about in social and mainstream media .
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I’m moving on. I’m trying to promote the creation of a village flag for Sway and also one for the New Forest. Surely a troll free subject. :thumb
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb