Down the pub?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Re: Down the pub?

Post by uspompeyfan »

FWIW - Out here in AZ, when the restaurants and bars reopened, there was the need to get info from patrons so that it was easier to track down people if someone came down with the virus. It was not popular and the younger generation who were just out for a drink even failed to use social distancing / masks and many refused to give this info as it would be a tracking mechanism.

Result is a huge increase in cases and we are close to closing down again with more restrictions coming in.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

uspompeyfan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 am FWIW - Out here in AZ, when the restaurants and bars reopened, there was the need to get info from patrons so that it was easier to track down people if someone came down with the virus. It was not popular and the younger generation who were just out for a drink even failed to use social distancing / masks and many refused to give this info as it would be a tracking mechanism.

Result is a huge increase in cases and we are close to closing down again with more restrictions coming in.
Does this suggest that the lifting of restrictions is occurring way to quickly? Yes, it is of course important to protect the economy but at what cost? Not only will there be a considerable rise in cases and deaths (second wave) but also if a second lockdown is imposed, it will massively damage the economy.

It might sound harsh, but in my opinion non-essential businesses that involve people in close proximity to each other or ones that involve touching of objects/items must remain closed.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

GreenBlue wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:00 am
uspompeyfan wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 am FWIW - Out here in AZ, when the restaurants and bars reopened, there was the need to get info from patrons so that it was easier to track down people if someone came down with the virus. It was not popular and the younger generation who were just out for a drink even failed to use social distancing / masks and many refused to give this info as it would be a tracking mechanism.

Does this suggest that the lifting of restrictions is occurring way to quickly? Yes, it is of course important to protect the economy but at what cost? Not only will there be a considerable rise in cases and deaths (second wave) but also if a second lockdown is imposed, it will massively damage the economy.

It might sound harsh, but in my opinion non-essential businesses that involve people in close proximity to each other or ones that involve touching of objects/items must remain closed.
Agreed. From Monday, I've got to go back into London for the first time since March, but you couldn't drag me on to the Underground right now, mask or not.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

Weybridge wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:13 am

Agreed. From Monday, I've got to go back into London for the first time since March, but you couldn't drag me on to the Underground right now, mask or not.
With regard to the underground, I travelled on the Circle Line, District Line and Northern Line on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. There was hardly anyone on any of the trains - plenty of room to social distance and the majority of people were wearing masks.

Importantly, I did not travel during rush hour. My journeys were late morning Tuesday and mid morning Wednesday.

Both journeys were much faster than the bus that I used two weeks ago. In addition, I was much closer to people in the bus because there is much less seating space. I would suggest that you don't use a bus unless it is really necessary.

I have also travelled by taxi in recent weeks. Clearly, you can be alone but the taxi driver was not wearing a mask.

There were more people on the train down to the south coast yesterday afternoon. Waterloo was quiet but, on the train, many young people were not wearing masks and did not seem to care about others.

Incidentally, the City of London business district was like a ghost town on both Tuesday and Wednesday - most places still closed and hardly anyone around.

Good luck with your travels.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

It’s quiet in Sway. But crazy at Bournemouth beach. Presumably it’s busy down at Southsea beach?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

New Forester wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:11 am It’s quiet in Sway. But crazy at Bournemouth beach. Presumably it’s busy down at Southsea beach?
Not sure . I was at hayling island yesterday and the beach was quite busy but there was plenty of room between people. The traffic going there today is all gridlocked up through Havant
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

I'll be giving the pub a miss for now. We all can guess @ whats going to happen, they'll be very busy with people who through novelty value will be forcing as much drink down their necks as they can. Good luck to the Landlords.
Its really been such a strange time, I'd hoped it would bring out the very best in people but as we saw in the early days with supermarket panic buying etc etc, now its people charging off to the beach & giving social distancing a miss. I also see that they cant be bothered to take their litter home. Leaving a massive mess behind. (people moan about travellers ffs).
Roll on a vaccine when all this will hopefully be over & we can all get back to what was considered normal.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:15 am
New Forester wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:11 am It’s quiet in Sway. But crazy at Bournemouth beach. Presumably it’s busy down at Southsea beach?
Not sure . I was at hayling island yesterday and the beach was quite busy but there was plenty of room between people. The traffic going there today is all gridlocked up through Havant
I used to cycle from Bedhampton to the beach on Hayling in the 50s. Cycling home on Sunday afternoons in high summer we used to reach Havant before cars that left the beach at the same time. Some things never change?
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Yes it's faster on a bike on days like this
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

GreenBlue wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:01 am I can't wait to have a pint at the pub with my mates but, whilst the buffoon jovially announced the reopening of pubs his scientific and medical advisers were shaking their heads.
It's not just the medical and scientific community that have an input, though, and without wishing to disrespect Profs Whitty and Vallance, all they have to worry about is the medicine and the science.

The jovial buffoon also has to worry about the economy and public order, and copious other factors too.

If we don't return the economy to being fully in motion, the consequent recession will dwarf 2008. Many more businesses will close, meaning that the Social Security budget will rocket.

Of course, every death is a tragedy for those involved, but we don't have this level of panic about seasonal flu, we just deal with it. We live with it. We need to learn to live with Covid-19.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by New Forester »

As I was saying!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

New Forester wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 pm

As I was saying!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53176717
And Boris is relying on the good sense of the British people when lockdown is further eased on 4 July!
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I wonder how many of those packing these beaches will claim they were "working from home" today :roll:

What must NHS workers be thinking? Shame there's not some way of 'marking' repeat offenders. Three marks and you forfeit the right to treatment if you contract Covid-19.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Milton End wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:33 am
Weybridge wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:13 am

With regard to the underground, I travelled on the Circle Line, District Line and Northern Line on Tuesday and Wednesday this week. There was hardly anyone on any of the trains - plenty of room to social distance and the majority of people were wearing masks.

Importantly, I did not travel during rush hour. My journeys were late morning Tuesday and mid morning Wednesday.

Both journeys were much faster than the bus that I used two weeks ago. In addition, I was much closer to people in the bus because there is much less seating space. I would suggest that you don't use a bus unless it is really necessary.

I have also travelled by taxi in recent weeks. Clearly, you can be alone but the taxi driver was not wearing a mask.

There were more people on the train down to the south coast yesterday afternoon. Waterloo was quiet but, on the train, many young people were not wearing masks and did not seem to care about others.

Incidentally, the City of London business district was like a ghost town on both Tuesday and Wednesday - most places still closed and hardly anyone around.

Good luck with your travels.

Been down to London a few times recently and drove for the first time and was so quiet on the roads it was unreal. Northampton to Borough market took 90 minutes if that. Quicker than my normal journey by train and tube! Granted this was about a month ago but just seeing the area round St Paul’s and South Bank completely empty was both amazing to see and unsettling at the same time.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:23 pm I wonder how many of those packing these beaches will claim they were "working from home" today :roll:

What must NHS workers be thinking? Shame there's not some way of 'marking' repeat offenders. Three marks and you forfeit the right to treatment if you contract Covid-19.
Everybody knows you can't catch it if you gather with thousands of others at the beach, a protest march or celebrating a football win . 🤦