Wigan Athletic have gone into administration.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Wigan Athletic have gone into administration.

Post by Selsey Bill »

Wigan Athletic have gone into administration, becoming the first English professional club to do so since the coronavirus pandemic began.

The Latics have been struggling to manage their finances and say there was no alternative if they were to safeguard the club.

The move may see the Championship side deducted points.

Paul Stanley, Gerald Krasner and Dean Watson of Begbies Traynor have been appointed as joint administrators.

Stanley said: "We understand that everybody connected with the club and the wider football world is seeking clarity on the future of Wigan Athletic.

"That's exactly what we are seeking to provide as we move through this process and we seek out interested parties to rescue this famous old club here in the region.

"It is a fast-moving situation and we will provide updates on key developments."

Krasner, former chairman of Leeds United, added: "Our immediate objectives are to ensure the club completes all its fixtures this season and to urgently find interested parties to save Wigan Athletic FC and the jobs of the people who work for the club.

"Obviously the suspension of the Championship season due to Covid-19 has had a significant impact on the recent fortunes of the club.

"Wigan Athletic has been a focal point and source of pride for the town since 1932 and anyone who is interested in buying this historic sporting institution should contact the joint administrators directly."

Until 2018, Wigan was owned by Dave Whelan, who steered the club from the fourth tier of English football to the Premier League.

The Latics also won the FA Cup in 2013.

Whelan sold the club to Hong Kong-based International Entertainment Corporation in November 2018.

Wigan have won all three of their league games since the resumption of the Championship season on 20 June.

Paul Cook's side beat Stoke 3-0 at the DW Stadium on Tuesday and are 14th in the table, eight points above the relegation zone.

The standard points deduction for an English Football League club entering administration is 12 points and, should that penalty be applied this season, it would drop them to the foot of the table, four points from safety with six matches left to play.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Wigan Athletic have gone into administration.

Post by PakefieldBlue »

#bringbackJamal
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Just to clarify, they WILL be deducted points, but when will be decided at the end of this season. If they are not in the bottom three, it will be this year, but if they are already in the bottom three (without points deduction), then it will be at the start of next season in L1.

This was introduced to get away from the situation where teams already (virtually) relegated and in financial difficulties would go into administration in a season when the points deduction was meaningless. (I think we might have done this).

Although they are the first, I doubt they will be the last over the coming months. I think a lot of teams are desperately hanging on in the hope that crowds will be back for the new season (or there will be a definite date soon after). If it is confirmed that it is no crowds (say until Christmas) that will be the breaking point.
Purbrook Chimes
Kev the Kitman

Post by Purbrook Chimes »

Again they are victims of the dodgy owners, Whelan sold them in Nov 18 then they were sold again last year and it goes round and round. All the time there was an owner who cared for the club they were fine, once that went they follow an all too familiar path which we went down , and Bolton and most of all Bury
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

How many more are likely during the next couple of months? Investors must be getting edgy as there is no end in sight for non Prem teams.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

uspompeyfan wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:33 pm How many more are likely during the next couple of months? Investors must be getting edgy as there is no end in sight for non Prem teams.
At least a dozen by the end of the year .
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Post by FatBlueAde »

Fingers crossed for them, cannot think of a worst time for clubs in that position, "investing" in a football club (precarious investment at the best of times) must appear like an even greater and more unlikely gamble at this stage.

Let's hope there is a fan out there with deep pockets.............or a fans consortium who can save the day.

Having been there would not wish it on any club.
Living in exile thinking Blue
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

I know it sounds silly but does anyone else feel the whole Covid situation merely made the inevitable bubble bursting happen sooner rather than being the root cause of the problem? Maybe Pompey going into admin when we did was a blessing in disguise as hopefully we can weather the coming storm and maybe even benefit from it.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:53 am I know it sounds silly but does anyone else feel the whole Covid situation merely made the inevitable bubble bursting happen sooner rather than being the root cause of the problem? Maybe Pompey going into admin when we did was a blessing in disguise as hopefully we can weather the coming storm and maybe even benefit from it.
Possibly for some, Sam. For many lower league clubs though, having the gate receipts and matchday revenue is what keeps them going . Cut that off and they don't stand a chance.

If we were still consortium owned we'd probably be in deep ****** right now .
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by FatBlueAde »

Distancing would kill a massive number of clubs. I have always thought, very selfishly, that sale of TV season tickets would be brilliant for fans unable to get to matches. Would not want to kill live football, and indeed would much rather (without the 4 hour each way journey) prefer to be at the game.................but dependant on how long this goes on for, some variation may be worth the club's/leagues considering to at least support those clubs who will massively miss out.

Pie in the sky I know but...........
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:08 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:53 am I know it sounds silly but does anyone else feel the whole Covid situation merely made the inevitable bubble bursting happen sooner rather than being the root cause of the problem? Maybe Pompey going into admin when we did was a blessing in disguise as hopefully we can weather the coming storm and maybe even benefit from it.
Possibly for some, Sam. For many lower league clubs though, having the gate receipts and matchday revenue is what keeps them going . Cut that off and they don't stand a chance.

If we were still consortium owned we'd probably be in deep ****** right now .
You might be right and after going through what we did I truly feel for any team having to go through the same.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by GreenBlue »

FatBlueAde wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:46 am Fingers crossed for them, cannot think of a worst time for clubs in that position, "investing" in a football club (precarious investment at the best of times) must appear like an even greater and more unlikely gamble at this stage.

Let's hope there is a fan out there with deep pockets.............or a fans consortium who can save the day.

Having been there would not wish it on any club.
Ditto
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

FatBlueAde wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am TV season tickets
Isn't that what iFollow is?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
FatBlueAde
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by FatBlueAde »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:48 pm
FatBlueAde wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 am TV season tickets
Isn't that what iFollow is?
For those abroad, I think yes (not sure if it is all matches or just away). Here you can subscribe (which i do) for commentary and "odd" matches you can pay to view but not many.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »