Jackett: Should he stay or should he go now!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Jackett: Should he stay or should he go now!

Post by New Forester »

I'm with Dinksy. No need for me to duplicate.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
Milton End
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 21 times

Post by Milton End »

PakefieldBlue wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am Worth bearing in mind two things.

Firstly, this is the last year of Jackett's contract, so it would only be one more season and probably not worth the expense of two salaries for a possible upgrade. Particularly as...

Secondly, and more importantly, 2020-21 is going to be a very strange season. The financial situation is going to make squads very different from normal (even if all teams survive) as teams are forced to go cheap. There are going to be lots of free agents desperate for clubs, both L1 players and Championship players who would normally not consider dropping to L1. There is opportunity in chaos, but also a time to go for what stability we can within the club.

Squad building will be fascinating. I can see teams that are financially able (or willing to take the risk) sweeping up some good players, whilst the bottom half of L1 is complete dross as they turn out anyone cheap (veterans, youth players, the desperate). If we can keep the best of what we have, let most of our free agents go (I'd keep Haunstrup to cover both LB & RB), plug a couple of holes and pick up a couple of real difference makers, then the future could be good.
I think you have hit the nail on the head PP, one more year of KJ and an honourable discharge (with us failing the play-off semis again!).
+1 - some good observations.

The thought of another year in Div 1 makes me groan. But the year is so uncertain that we're probably better sticking with KJ's experience and knowledge rather than looking for another manager.

Certainly, if we don't get promotion in 2020/21, then his four years will surely be the time to thank KJ and find another manager.
Milton End is entering a new era with Tornante
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am Worth bearing in mind two things.

Firstly, this is the last year of Jackett's contract, so it would only be one more season and probably not worth the expense of two salaries for a possible upgrade. Particularly as...

Secondly, and more importantly, 2020-21 is going to be a very strange season. The financial situation is going to make squads very different from normal (even if all teams survive) as teams are forced to go cheap. There are going to be lots of free agents desperate for clubs, both L1 players and Championship players who would normally not consider dropping to L1. There is opportunity in chaos, but also a time to go for what stability we can within the club.

Squad building will be fascinating. I can see teams that are financially able (or willing to take the risk) sweeping up some good players, whilst the bottom half of L1 is complete dross as they turn out anyone cheap (veterans, youth players, the desperate). If we can keep the best of what we have, let most of our free agents go (I'd keep Haunstrup to cover both LB & RB), plug a couple of holes and pick up a couple of real difference makers, then the future could be good.
Good points. I think you've managed to convince me to give him another year.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:03 am As i've said before, I'm not really qualified to give an opinion as I get to so few games these days, but those that I have seen have been woeful to watch (even when winning).

Better, I'd argue, to watch attractive, enterprising football in mid-table League 1 than the dirge that is regularly dished up under Jackett. i'm sure he's a lovely guy, but his football is like his persona - bland.
Can I just say, Sherl, that it doesn't matter how many games you've been to see. Everyone's opinion matters.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:10 pm Can I just say, Sherl, that it doesn't matter how many games you've been to see. Everyone's opinion matters.
Oh I've been to hundreds of games Locky, just not many in the last few years. What I will say is that not one of the games I've attended in that period has left me feeling I should rush back.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Seeing a lot of former players getting a shot in the prem at their former clubs they had a passion for. Lumpard / Arteta / Ole
KJ, for me just isn't inspiring, though to be fair to the bloke, I'm not at training or in view of the dugout on game day.
What about the David James / Hermann combo that was touted a while back. At least it would be entertaining.
Div III. Call it what it is.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

Div III. Call it what it is.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:10 pm
No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:03 am As i've said before, I'm not really qualified to give an opinion as I get to so few games these days, but those that I have seen have been woeful to watch (even when winning).

Better, I'd argue, to watch attractive, enterprising football in mid-table League 1 than the dirge that is regularly dished up under Jackett. i'm sure he's a lovely guy, but his football is like his persona - bland.
Can I just say, Sherl, that it doesn't matter how many games you've been to see. Everyone's opinion matters.
Seconded.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:27 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:10 pm Can I just say, Sherl, that it doesn't matter how many games you've been to see. Everyone's opinion matters.
Oh I've been to hundreds of games Locky, just not many in the last few years. What I will say is that not one of the games I've attended in that period has left me feeling I should rush back.
I know you've been to loads over the years, mate, the point is that your opinion is not somehow second-class, simply because you haven't been recently - you keep saying that you're not qualified to give an opinion, but you are, as are we all.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:46 pm
I know you've been to loads over the years, mate, the point is that your opinion is not somehow second-class, simply because you haven't been recently - you keep saying that you're not qualified to give an opinion, but you are, as are we all.
Okay, but my point is I've not seen enough recent games to have a first-hand informed opinion. Mine is based on (very) limited personal attendance and a large dollop of reports from posters on here. And let's face it, when the EO (eternal optimist) Selsey Bill is fed up with what he sees then you know things are bad! :wink:
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:29 pm
Locky_McLockface wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:46 pm
Okay, but my point is I've not seen enough recent games to have a first-hand informed opinion. Mine is based on (very) limited personal attendance and a large dollop of reports from posters on here. And let's face it, when the EO (eternal optimist) Selsey Bill is fed up with what he sees then you know things are bad! :wink:
Fed up, but I'll still be back supporting the boys in blue as soon as is physically possible. ;-)
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Selsey Bill wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:46 pm Fed up, but I'll still be back supporting the boys in blue as soon as is physically possible. ;-)
I know you will mate :thumb
Slindon blue
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Slindon blue »

Jacket should go he does not share the fans passion for the club he doesn't know how to motivate the players just look at our play off games over the last 2 seasons a good manager gets an extra 10% out of his players by giving them support and enthusiasm to be the best they can be and instilling confidence in them jacket appears unable to do this and his terrible treatment of some of his best players means he will never be able to get the extra 10% which he needs to win the league love him or hate him but harry knew how to do this !
Hamburg Skate
Paul Merson

Post by Hamburg Skate »

Kenny "get ya jacket" should have gone straight after the sunderland playoff game last season.
He will join the list of managers at Pompey, who's style of hoof ball should be banned from fratton park.
Brexit....Voted for it...Sorry i was wrong.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Slindon blue wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:15 am Jacket should go he does not share the fans passion for the club he doesn't know how to motivate the players just look at our play off games over the last 2 seasons a good manager gets an extra 10% out of his players by giving them support and enthusiasm to be the best they can be and instilling confidence in them jacket appears unable to do this and his terrible treatment of some of his best players means he will never be able to get the extra 10% which he needs to win the league love him or hate him but harry knew how to do this !
Unfortunately, unless they are already a true fan and Pompey is in the blood, very few managers will "share the fans passion for the club". It is exceptionally rare when a manager from outside does. Does Mourhino love Spurs or does Pep love City in the same way as their fans do? Probably not. Klopp and Wenger appear to be exceptions.

Did 'Arry Redknapp love Pompey the same way as the fans? No way. 'Arry loved money and himself. I am not a fan of HR but of course loved the football we played under him but he had money and great players. Would he have taken over a 3rd tier side? Probably not.

So who would we get with the same passion as the fans, to take our wonderful club to the next level and who would reintroduce exciting football and would want to join a 3rd tier club? If such a person exists, sign him up now.