Jackett: Should he stay or should he go now!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Re: Jackett: Should he stay or should he go now!

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey Fans, 2016:- Get rid of Paul Cook, all we do is play sideways passes, retaining possession, we need to get the ball up the field quicker.

Also Pompey Fans, 2020:- Get rid of Kenny Jackett, all we do is get the ball up the field quickly, we need to retain possession more.

Make your f*ing minds up.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

What about Lee Johnson ex-Bristol City manager? He’s young (39) and had the Brizzle playing good football and fighting for a playoff spot in the Chumps until they hit a bad spell of not winning a game in 9. He’s a Southerner too.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Claygate wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:20 pm What about Lee Johnson ex-Bristol City manager? He’s young (39) and had the Brizzle playing good football and fighting for a playoff spot in the Chumps until they hit a bad spell of not winning a game in 9. He’s a Southerner too.
I have friends who support Bristol City. They had been calling for Johnson's head for 18 months. He has never achieved a win rate of above 40% at any club he has managed. Why is KJ's win rate with us??? Footie fans are fickle creatures.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

what about a punt on Chris Hughton? IF he might consider dropping down to L1 of course. (currently unemployed I think)
The guy does only have a 40% winning record but considering he's been stuck with the Toon, Norwich, Birmingham and Brighton that's not too bad and have to say winning almost 56% at Newcastle in 70 games is pretty darn good. His time at Norwich really trashes his winning % ...only 29% in 80 odd games, but unlike Delia Smith, you can't make a bon apetit out of poo.
Div III. Call it what it is.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:18 pm what about a punt on Chris Hughton? IF he might consider dropping down to L1 of course. (currently unemployed I think)
The guy does only have a 40% winning record but considering he's been stuck with the Toon, Norwich, Birmingham and Brighton that's not too bad and have to say winning almost 56% at Newcastle in 70 games is pretty darn good. His time at Norwich really trashes his winning % ...only 29% in 80 odd games, but unlike Delia Smith, you can't make a bon apetit out of poo.
Isn't he just another nice bloke whose teams play boring/negative football?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

What about Brian Clough?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:58 pm What about Brian Clough?
Or Alf Ramsey even?
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 148 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:10 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:58 pm What about Brian Clough?
Or Alf Ramsey even?

Lmao I meant Nigel Clough.

:lol:
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:23 pm [quote="No Shot Sherlock" post_id=896917 time=<a href="tel:1594674638">1594674638</a> user_id=100]
[quote=Sam_Brown post_id=896915 time=<a href="tel:1594673909">1594673909</a> user_id=588]
What about Brian Clough?
Or Alf Ramsey even?
[/quote]

Lmao I meant Nigel Clough.

:lol:
[/quote]

Nigel Clough would be great in terms of footballing ethos, but he’s spent his entire career, as player and manager in the North. Add in a long settled family, its unlikely he’ll uproot down to the South Coast. But he is available.

However, I think he flatters to deceive. He’s not that successful, losing more games than he’s won. For all KJ’s faults, he grinds out wins. Its not pretty, but the stats don’t lie. Not after 850 or so games as a manager.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Mark Robins would be the one you want to try and snare - if we were going to replace Jackett (which we're not going to do).

Would he be tempted away from Coventry, I'm not so sure - I guess it depends if the football league follow up what they have said previously about them not being allowed to ground share again (then letting them do it again).

Is he the answer I don't know, what I do know is no managers can guarantee success.

With a wage cap likely to come in I suspect the trick will be having a manager and coaching staff players want to work with a bit more.
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:07 am Mark Robins would be the one you want to try and snare - if we were going to replace Jackett (which we're not going to do).

Would he be tempted away from Coventry, I'm not so sure - I guess it depends if the football league follow up what they have said previously about them not being allowed to ground share again (then letting them do it again).

Is he the answer I don't know, what I do know is no managers can guarantee success.

With a wage cap likely to come in I suspect the trick will be having a manager and coaching staff players want to work with a bit more.
I agree re Mark Robins - he's done a great job at Coventry, but why would he want to leave having just got them promoted. One thing I do know is that sadly they will never get back to playing at the Ricoh Arena.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Robins is definitely one to keep an eye on. Not for now but maybe at Christmas or when KJ's contrat terminates next summer.
Let's see how both clubs do in the interim.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 179 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Selsey Bill wrote: I agree re Mark Robins - he's done a great job at Coventry, but why would he want to leave having just got them promoted. One thing I do know is that sadly they will never get back to playing at the Ricoh Arena.
Is that FACT or fact about the Ricoh?
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

I think that those who have touted Alf Ramsey and Brian Clough have missed the Pompey passion points...... There is only one "Jimmy Dickinson" is my vote.
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Claygate
Alan Knight
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Claygate »

In case anyone was wondering, the following out of work managers are available with a decent win percentage of 1.4 points per game or more:

Simon Grayson
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Paul Tisdale
Keith Hill
Danny Wilson
Terry McPhillips
Roberto Di Matteo
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Karanka
Lee Johnson
Nigel Adkins
Steve McClaren