Jackett: Should he stay or should he go now!

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Jackett: Should he stay or should he go now!

Post by GreenBlue »

I like Kenny Jackett. He is a decent person and has a good percentage of wins whilst manager at Pompey. However, I believe the time is now right to bring in a younger, more dynamic manager to put the spark back in to Pompey.

I think it would be harsh to sack Jackett so I'd like to see him get a move upstairs as a director of football or something similar.

So it's a "Go now" for me. Why do I think this board is going to be split on this one?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Jackett: Should he stay or should he go now!

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Move him upstairs? An extra salary is just what the club needs of course :roll:
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Get rid. I think he’s taken us as far as he’s going to. Feel a bit like Arsenal with a Wenger... best to pull the band aid off now because I don’t think there will ever be a good time. Promotion isn’t the only issue although this was a very weak league this year so it’s definitely a point but the style of football is just so boring to watch as well.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

Couple of left-field names...

Deon Burton - U23s manager at West Brom
Matthew Taylor - U18s manager at Spurs

Worth a punt?
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:16 am Couple of left-field names...

Deon Burton - U23s manager at West Brom
Matthew Taylor - U18s manager at Spurs

Worth a punt?
If we are going left-field (and I wouldn't object to that), Ian Foster would be worth a look. England U-18 coach and very highly thought of at the FA. He was also with us as first team coach under Paul Cook, so I would be OK with the playing style (although some might moan).
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:37 pm Move him upstairs? An extra salary is just what the club needs of course :roll:
Agreed, but I just cant see Michael Eisner letting him go so if that was the case it may be the only way we could get a new manager.
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:43 pm Get rid. I think he’s taken us as far as he’s going to. Feel a bit like Arsenal with a Wenger... best to pull the band aid off now because I don’t think there will ever be a good time. Promotion isn’t the only issue although this was a very weak league this year so it’s definitely a point but the style of football is just so boring to watch as well.
Fully agree.
Pompeymack
Milan Mandaric
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Pompeymack »

I'm not keen on calling for the manager to go but I don't see where KJcan go from here.

I look back at games like Coventry 3-1 up and Coventry down to 9 men. KJ brings on a defender and we end up drawing 3-3. The poor start to the season, hoofball, no plan b and dour tactics.

I think the question for me is what are the Eisners going to do, giving KJ more time won't go down well with a lot of fans and a new manager may take a few months to get the team playing how they want.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Last time we went 'left-field', we got Ritchie Barker.
Enough said.
Heard a lot of names bandied around and none of them sound convincing.
For all the wringing of hands, we have competed for honours in two of Jackett's three seasons with us and won a cup. Also there is the little matter that he has the best post-war record of any Pompey manager.
We have a solid core of a squad just lacking a bit of flare in places.
He is not going anywhere soon, so people might as well wind their necks in and get behind the club and manager when real football starts again.
In the meantime, given that this is probably Jackett's last year at the club, I would hope that Eisner and Catlin are on alert if a BETTER manager becomes available and snap him up.
We had four years in League Two, so it's going to be at least four in League One.
This is a critical year to find out if our manager can raise the bar just a bit further and whether Eisner is serious about building a proper legacy both on and off the field.
This time next year we will have our answers.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

My main problem with Jackett is that his substitutions never change anything, they are always like for like. I can't beleive we didn't bring Hawkins on with 20 minutes to go yesterday.

I don't think we are particularly a long ball side, and we can knock it around nicely when we want to, even in the second half yesterday we had a nice little passage of play playing it around and made a good oppertunity down the left.

I actually don't think his signings have been all that bad, not sure what's happened with Downing he was on paper a very good signing.

The difficulty for me, is if we do change the fans are never going to be happy. I loved Paul Cook, good football talked a lot of sense. Lots seemed to loathe him, because we weren't more direct and he was too animated, we get Jacket who addresses both of those things and that's not good enough either. Seems to me unless we play 442, which nobody does anymore and isn't any more attacking that the formation we currently play people aren't going to be happy.

All the names branded around are just that names, some of them are just pipe dreams Eddie Howe? Sean Dyche (why would he become available?)

I'm not very keen on jacket but I'm not sure who's else is out there and would come that is much better, Mark Robins wouldn't come, Paul Warne wouldn't come, is Darren Moore much better than what we have, Nigel Clough hasn't really done much anywhere other than Burton, left field names are an gamble that more often than not fail.

I just don't now what we should do.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:16 am My main problem with Jackett is that his substitutions never change anything, they are always like for like. I can't beleive we didn't bring Hawkins on with 20 minutes to go yesterday.

I don't think we are particularly a long ball side, and we can knock it around nicely when we want to, even in the second half yesterday we had a nice little passage of play playing it around and made a good oppertunity down the left.

I actually don't think his signings have been all that bad, not sure what's happened with Downing he was on paper a very good signing.

The difficulty for me, is if we do change the fans are never going to be happy. I loved Paul Cook, good football talked a lot of sense. Lots seemed to loathe him, because we weren't more direct and he was too animated, we get Jacket who addresses both of those things and that's not good enough either. Seems to me unless we play 442, which nobody does anymore and isn't any more attacking that the formation we currently play people aren't going to be happy.

All the names branded around are just that names, some of them are just pipe dreams Eddie Howe? Sean Dyche (why would he become available?)

I'm not very keen on jacket but I'm not sure who's else is out there and would come that is much better, Mark Robins wouldn't come, Paul Warne wouldn't come, is Darren Moore much better than what we have, Nigel Clough hasn't really done much anywhere other than Burton, left field names are an gamble that more often than not fail.

I just don't now what we should do.
Good post.
Yes, with Cook, who was known for playing the passing game, the accusation was always 'crab-football', wasn't it?
With Jackett it's 'hoofball'.
As Jesus once said, you just can't please some people.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

As i've said before, I'm not really qualified to give an opinion as I get to so few games these days, but those that I have seen have been woeful to watch (even when winning).

Better, I'd argue, to watch attractive, enterprising football in mid-table League 1 than the dirge that is regularly dished up under Jackett. i'm sure he's a lovely guy, but his football is like his persona - bland.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Agree with the OP. Kenny is a very decent bloke but I feel tactically he's standing still these days whilst the rest have moved forward with modern flexible tactics.
Time to go but tks for everything.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Worth bearing in mind two things.

Firstly, this is the last year of Jackett's contract, so it would only be one more season and probably not worth the expense of two salaries for a possible upgrade. Particularly as...

Secondly, and more importantly, 2020-21 is going to be a very strange season. The financial situation is going to make squads very different from normal (even if all teams survive) as teams are forced to go cheap. There are going to be lots of free agents desperate for clubs, both L1 players and Championship players who would normally not consider dropping to L1. There is opportunity in chaos, but also a time to go for what stability we can within the club.

Squad building will be fascinating. I can see teams that are financially able (or willing to take the risk) sweeping up some good players, whilst the bottom half of L1 is complete dross as they turn out anyone cheap (veterans, youth players, the desperate). If we can keep the best of what we have, let most of our free agents go (I'd keep Haunstrup to cover both LB & RB), plug a couple of holes and pick up a couple of real difference makers, then the future could be good.
PakefieldBlue
Alan Knight
Been liked: 13 times

Post by PakefieldBlue »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:06 am Worth bearing in mind two things.

Firstly, this is the last year of Jackett's contract, so it would only be one more season and probably not worth the expense of two salaries for a possible upgrade. Particularly as...

Secondly, and more importantly, 2020-21 is going to be a very strange season. The financial situation is going to make squads very different from normal (even if all teams survive) as teams are forced to go cheap. There are going to be lots of free agents desperate for clubs, both L1 players and Championship players who would normally not consider dropping to L1. There is opportunity in chaos, but also a time to go for what stability we can within the club.

Squad building will be fascinating. I can see teams that are financially able (or willing to take the risk) sweeping up some good players, whilst the bottom half of L1 is complete dross as they turn out anyone cheap (veterans, youth players, the desperate). If we can keep the best of what we have, let most of our free agents go (I'd keep Haunstrup to cover both LB & RB), plug a couple of holes and pick up a couple of real difference makers, then the future could be good.
I think you have hit the nail on the head PP, one more year of KJ and an honourable discharge (with us failing the play-off semis again!).