Wigan v Hull

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Wigan v Hull

Post by Weybridge »

Anyone betting on the HT-FT on this game? Could go either way...
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Wigan v Hull

Post by Dinksy »

Put a fiver on 9-7 to Wigan
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

That Paul Cook - really boring football.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:35 pm That Paul Cook - really boring football.
Yeah, as I'm sure was the case in their 0-0 draw with bottom club Barnsley on Saturday when they managed a total of 6 shots, none of which were on target :rofl
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Well, that's a blow. Even with their 12 point deduction, it is probable that Wigan will escape relegation. Wigan would have been the only team in L1 that I had never visited if they had been relegated; I'll have to pray for another strange cup away draw now.
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

It makes me wonder what is the points reduction supposed to achieve? If 12pts is the norm and it makes no difference to Wigan, why bother? It should either be a punishment to inflict whatever the league thinks should be done i.e. an x division drop, regardless of the points, or nothing. 12pts seems like a haphazard number plucked out of the air that actually means nothing.

I'm not saying I wan Wigan relegated by the way; I have no feeling there, one way or the other. It just shows how slapdash and toothless the football league and premier league actually are.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

I think I read that if they were relegated before any points deduction is applied then it would be applied at the beginning of next season. If not, it's applied this season if it will relegate them. Not sure what happens if they would still survive after deduction but you'd hope it would be applied next season in the Championship otherwise it's no punishment at all.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

SHerl, you're right about the relegation scenario.

I think the official punishment is a points deduction in the season in which the insolvency period started, except where the team would have been relegated anyway. The latter part was to close the loophole of clubs going into administration earlier than they would have done in order to negate the effect of the points deduction. Therefore, I don't believe that the EFL can do anything other than deduct the points this season.

I would presume that the consequent reduction in finishing position in the league would affect their prize money - I presume there is prize money dependant upon league position, as there is in the Prem.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

RubiconCSL wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:32 am It makes me wonder what is the points reduction supposed to achieve? If 12pts is the norm and it makes no difference to Wigan, why bother? It should either be a punishment to inflict whatever the league thinks should be done i.e. an x division drop, regardless of the points, or nothing. 12pts seems like a haphazard number plucked out of the air that actually means nothing.
The advantage of a standard 12 points deduction is that all teams know where they stand. There is no favouritism for certain clubs, and we avoid the situation some years ago with Luton where the football authorities were just making it up as they went along. Of course, whether 12 points is the right number can be debated.

A quick look at last season's Championship table suggests that a 12 point deduction would have directly impacted over half the teams. The top two would have dropped from automatic promotion to the play-offs; all four play-off teams would have dropped out of those; five teams near the bottom would have dropped into the relegation zone. Those in the relegation places would have the penalty applied to 2019-20. So that's 14/24 teams directly impacted, plus others indirectly as they would move upwards. So it seems about right to me, maybe could be a little higher such as 15 points which would draw in a few more teams.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:56 pm
RubiconCSL wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:32 am It makes me wonder what is the points reduction supposed to achieve? If 12pts is the norm and it makes no difference to Wigan, why bother? It should either be a punishment to inflict whatever the league thinks should be done i.e. an x division drop, regardless of the points, or nothing. 12pts seems like a haphazard number plucked out of the air that actually means nothing.
The advantage of a standard 12 points deduction is that all teams know where they stand. There is no favouritism for certain clubs, and we avoid the situation some years ago with Luton where the football authorities were just making it up as they went along. Of course, whether 12 points is the right number can be debated.

A quick look at last season's Championship table suggests that a 12 point deduction would have directly impacted over half the teams. The top two would have dropped from automatic promotion to the play-offs; all four play-off teams would have dropped out of those; five teams near the bottom would have dropped into the relegation zone. Those in the relegation places would have the penalty applied to 2019-20. So that's 14/24 teams directly impacted, plus others indirectly as they would move upwards. So it seems about right to me, maybe could be a little higher such as 15 points which would draw in a few more teams.
Fair point. I imagine even though relegation is the usual result of such a deduction that it's not the intended punishment. Otherwise why not just say you get automatically relegated or set it to something absurd like losing 100 points to ensure the team is definitely relegated and it avoids having to deal with the hassle of having four teams for relegation that year.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
RubiconCSL
Site Admin
Has liked: 80 times
Been liked: 64 times

Post by RubiconCSL »

Fair point. However, it would be a lovely bonus to one team in the lower division :)

I think it depends on what they are trying to do by deducting points. If the clear intention is that the club should be punished, then clearly, Wigan are not being punished.

If a team is in a promotion position, then they lose promotion.
If they are in a play-off position, then they lose the chance of the play-offs.
If they are lower than that, then they get relegated. Otherwise, it is meaningless.
Fining seems plain silly if the club is in financial difficulty anyway.

Failing that, if the points deduction doesn't actually punish them, then it carries over to the next season instead.
Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:30 pm Fair point. I imagine even though relegation is the usual result of such a deduction that it's not the intended punishment. Otherwise why not just say you get automatically relegated or set it to something absurd like losing 100 points to ensure the team is definitely relegated and it avoids having to deal with the hassle of having four teams for relegation that year.
Like many, trust few and always paddle you own canoe.