Wish/dream list

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Wish/dream list

Post by Weybridge »

I'd definitely keep McGeehan. His all-round game is better than anything we've got in midfield. One of those players who doesn't look like a matchwinner, but definitely elevates the tempo of the whole team. Future captain material (for somebody anyway).

Seddon would be great, but I can see Birmingham retaining him. He's young, talented, and consistent - probably what they need in a netherworld of wage caps, and sub-par league placings.

Raggett I'd also retain. Was clearly a journey of baby steps for him in his time at Fratton, but looked the part by the end of the season. Two excellent playoff performances as well. I think the original plan was to play him as stopper with Downing as sweeper, but as Burgess came back into the side, Raggett took on the sweeping role - and fell right into it. There's something Andy Awford-ish about his game. Whatmough-Raggett could be very interesting if it happens.

McCrorie, clearly a lot of raw talent there, and a decent future - just didn't quite settle here. Too undisciplined in the middle of the park. And at RB, needed Williams on the flank so he could overlap. He and Harness never quite clicked there. But he can cross a ball, arguably the only person on the right flank who can.
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Weybridge wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:49 am Whatmough-Raggett could be very interesting if it happens.
Whatever else happens, this team looks an awful lot better if we can get back a fully fit and in-form Jack Whatmough. Maybe the best "new player" we could get this summer. (Sadly, I am not at all confident this will ever happen).
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 am
Weybridge wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:49 am Whatmough-Raggett could be very interesting if it happens.
Whatever else happens, this team looks an awful lot better if we can get back a fully fit and in-form Jack Whatmough. Maybe the best "new player" we could get this summer. (Sadly, I am not at all confident this will ever happen).
That's another desparately unlucky boy. Three major, yet AIUI unrelated, knee injuries in one so young.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Selsey Bill
Interim Manager
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Selsey Bill »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:13 pm
Pompey Penguin wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:09 am
That's another desparately unlucky boy. Three major, yet AIUI unrelated, knee injuries in one so young.
Sadly, this is last chance saloon for (not quite so) young Jack. If he doesn't get playing for us again soon, he will have to retire. And then, what would a lad like him turn to? Would be such a waste of talent. I rated him far higher than Webster when the two came on to the scene and look at AW now.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

When he was fit again, he wasn't played. When he was played, he was dropped. When the play-offs came around the story was he didn't train or play because of Covid.
Doesn't look good, does it?
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I have a sneaky feeling Downing is going to come up trump's this year. He isn't a bad player at all. No idea what the problem was at start of the season, or why he was then completely ignored all season.

I wouldn't mind seeing him and Raggett if both are fit and on form - I think they would be one of the best pairings in the division, if they can both get some form going.

As for Jack I think the one attribute he really misses is pace and the ability to stay fit. I hope he can come back and have a steady season under his belt, unfortunately I just cannot see him ever playing 40 games a season.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

Certainly looks like we're trying to get Raggatt in.

I'm pleased, he is nowhere near as bad a player as it made out by some. I remeber him saying when we signed him 'i'll put my head where others won't put their feet'. Which is good by me.
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:25 pm Certainly looks like we're trying to get Raggatt in.

I'm pleased, he is nowhere near as bad a player as it made out by some. I remeber him saying when we signed him 'i'll put my head where others won't put their feet'. Which is good by me.
Yeah, but he may just have meant that he likes to wear a hat :D