Taking the knee.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Re: Taking the knee.

Post by Sam_Brown »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 pm Jesus wept :roll:
ditto I know we're all bored with covid and I like a good political discussion as much as the next bored person but...
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:27 pm Sorry US, you are blinkered by your blind devotion to the Republican party and to the right-wing press.

Lines like " The Democrats use his name and take his words out of context, preferring violence over peace." are just wrong.

In Europe, the gesture of taking the knee and the adoption of the term Black Lives matter is far removed from the political face in the US. It is a genuine stance against inequality and a movement in support of attempting to eradicate racism. "When the F1 drivers, European footballers and all the other sports people who have taken the knee do so, they are not signing up to some far left mantra, they are simply expressing the fact that racism has gone on, largely unchallenged, for too long."

You say "European athletes are considered laughable because they are puppets and the majority don't know fully who they are supporting when they kneel."

I would argue that you are too narrow minded to see past your own point of view on this stance. They do not need to be scholars of US history or modern US politics to understand why they are doing so as, although it may have been nicked and adapted from certain events, it has transcended them and is now being used as a symbol of equality and justness. They know exactly why they do it.
"When the F1 drivers, European footballers and all the other sports people who have taken the knee do so, they are not signing up to some far left mantra, they are simply expressing the fact that racism has gone on, largely unchallenged, for too long."

Then why the black power fist?

And I take it you missed hundreds of BLM dressed as a militia marching round Brixton shouting abuse at police and bystanders this weekend ?
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Did he ? Do you reckon he was even real ?
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:45 am
It was sarcasm.
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

America is one of the biggest countries in the world but so many of its residents live in a little bubble.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:22 am And I take it you missed hundreds of BLM dressed as a militia marching round Brixton shouting abuse at police and bystanders this weekend ?
As always at these sorts of protests you're going to end up with some less saveloy people turning up with the intention of just causing trouble.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:33 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:22 am And I take it you missed hundreds of BLM dressed as a militia marching round Brixton shouting abuse at police and bystanders this weekend ?
As always at these sorts of protests you're going to end up with some less saveloy people turning up with the intention of just causing trouble.
That's always the excuse. I prefer a fishcake myself anyhow.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:12 am
That's always the excuse. I prefer a fishcake myself anyhow.
:rofl just noticed the typo. I am a silly sausage :lol:

I'd say it's more a reason than an excuse. I'm certainly not condoning the actions of the people who take things too far and certainly as a general rule won't use the actions of a few bad eggs as an excuse the dismiss the legitimate concerns raised at any protest. As mentioned previously in this thread I believe there are some people working both sides out there who just want to cause mischief and cause division. I think it's perfectly appropriate to support the general move towards a more equal society while also calling out the extremes at either end of the spectrum who (regardless of if they are acting in bad faith or not) do more harm than good for their own cause.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Maybe they could build a wall around London and leave the rest of us to it.
Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Weybridge »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am Maybe they could build a wall around London and leave the rest of us to it.
After the Brexit result, and the result of the last election - that's what most of us inside the M25 were saying too!
"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Weybridge wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:26 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am Maybe they could build a wall around London and leave the rest of us to it.
After the Brexit result, and the result of the last election - that's what most of us inside the M25 were saying too!
:thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Weybridge wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:26 am
😂. I won't be trying to cross. After my last visit to London I doubt I'll be going again .
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:45 am
John 11: 35

Yes he was real, this is undisputed in most religions - but that i a whole other thread :-)
Philipians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

Dinksy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:02 am America is one of the biggest countries in the world but so many of its residents live in a little bubble.
Media on both sides ensure that this appears to be so. The Beirut explosion barely made any main news story except for a 2 minute piece. Typically you have State news followed by 'World News' which is Half State and the other half is what happened in the rest of the US.

You'd be surprised how many college level kids couldn't pin point European countries on a map, let alone any other Continent. The basic premise is that if it isn't in America, it doesn't count.....
uspompeyfan
Guy Whittingham

Post by uspompeyfan »

And these people just show up? Or are they organized by ANIFA? There are reports of people getting paid a daily rate to infiltrate peaceful protests with the aim to create violence.