COVID - UK faces 50,000 new cases a day by October and 200+ deaths a day by November.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

COVID - UK faces 50,000 new cases a day by October and 200+ deaths a day by November.

Post by Sam_Brown »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54234084

From a selfish point of view my wife is a teacher who left the profession a few years back. She was made redundant in her new profession but has managed to find a temporary teaching job to make ends meet until next June and the fear of schools closing again will more than likely mean she'll have no job if schools close again. ****** position to be in.

EDIT: That being said I've seen people are kicking off again in the shops rushing to buy goods. Thought they'd have learnt from last time there are enough items if people don't panic. I was re-reading this post and doesn't really have anything but a stream of consciousness from me so to try and make it a bit more open I'm curious whether people on here would be more or less likely to follow lockdown steps over the next few weeks or whether all the good will has been used up?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Re: COVID - UK faces 50,000 new cases a day by October and 200+ deaths a day by November.

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I think there are two points here. Firstly, there will be a big difference in attitude to lockdown as winter approaches as compared to the relatively easy days of spring/summer when people could get outside comfortably. Secondly, and more importantly, in this sort of action a government has to carry the people with them, but I am afraid all the goodwill has been used up by the endless u-turns, operational failures (especially around testing where the "world beating" system has always been two weeks away) and complete lack of planning for known events.

I suspect (but hope not) that there will be far more people flouting the rules this time, anti-lockdown demonstrations and confrontations with the police.

We could probably get away with a quick 2/3 week lockdown to re-set and temper the wave, but that would require confidence in the government to make the best use of that time.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: COVID - UK faces 50,000 new cases a day by October and 200+ deaths a day by November.

Post by Mr Dee »

A load of ifs ands and buts. They say cases are doubling every 7 days which is contrary to what their own graph shows. Then the cone up with some exorbitant numbers of what going to happen in a month.

It's now clear that lockdowns and masks don't work. Lockdowns just hide the virus for a while and positive tests have risen since the introduction of masks.

I still haven't worked out why these lunatics are hell bent on ruining the country.

If there's another lockdown I imagine there will be serious unrest and public disorder . No furlough and different weather this time.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

And to answer the question. The good will has been used up as far as I'm concerned. We won't be cancelling family dinners, birthdays, or Christmas.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm Lockdowns just hide the virus for a while...
Far be it for me to speak for the government, but didn't we always know this? Even back in March Boris Johnson et al. were talking about just "flattening the curve" so that the NHS was not overwhelmed. It was never about stopping the virus, just making it move slowly through the population so that we could deal with the deaths and illnesses.

This will remain the case until either/or a vaccine and cure are available, fully tested and known to work (I have no confidence in this happening soon, despite repeated asurances that it was just "a month away" or "Christmas at the latest"). As yet we don't even know how long immunity will be sustained following infection (other SARS-type viruses suggest less than six months).
just blue
Milan Mandaric

Post by just blue »

The UK's coronavirus alert level should be raised from level three to four, meaning transmission is "high or rising exponentially", its chief medical officers have said. The PM will make a statement in the Commons on Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54241580
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

It's strange reading these Covid mails from differing places. Where I live, here in southern Spain we are in a smallish town of roughly 20k people; we don't have nightclubs, big gatherings are currently banned, restaurants, pubs etc have to keep tables/groups at least 2m apart and beaches have patrols making sure people/groups are more than 2m apart; face masks are compulsory at all times when outside and upon entering shops and hand sanitizers are at the entrance to every shop. The police ensure people adhere to the rules and indeed, issue €600 fines if you break any of these rules.

CURRENTLY WE HAVE ZERO COVID CASES IN OUR TOWN and since the outbreak have only had 3 reported cases!!

Granada, which is the nearest large city to us with nightclubs, social gatherings etc. etc currently has 2413 reported cases today.

Spot the difference people??

What I observe is this virus CAN be stopped with the right mentality but the old saying is true...'YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW`

Afraid you guys in the UK need to take this a bit more seriously. 8)
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

eltorrro wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:28 pm It's strange reading these Covid mails from differing places. Where I live, here in southern Spain we are in a smallish town of roughly 20k people; we don't have nightclubs, big gatherings are currently banned, restaurants, pubs etc have to keep tables/groups at least 2m apart and beaches have patrols making sure people/groups are more than 2m apart; face masks are compulsory at all times when outside and upon entering shops and hand sanitizers are at the entrance to every shop. The police ensure people adhere to the rules and indeed, issue €600 fines if you break any of these rules.

CURRENTLY WE HAVE ZERO COVID CASES IN OUR TOWN and since the outbreak have only had 3 reported cases!!

Granada, which is the nearest large city to us with nightclubs, social gatherings etc. etc currently has 2413 reported cases today.

Spot the difference people??

What I observe is this virus CAN be stopped with the right mentality but the old saying is true...'YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW`

Afraid you guys in the UK need to take this a bit more seriously. 8)
Agreed :thumb
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:27 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm Lockdowns just hide the virus for a while...
Far be it for me to speak for the government, but didn't we always know this? Even back in March Boris Johnson et al. were talking about just "flattening the curve" so that the NHS was not overwhelmed. It was never about stopping the virus, just making it move slowly through the population so that we could deal with the deaths and illnesses.

This will remain the case until either/or a vaccine and cure are available, fully tested and known to work (I have no confidence in this happening soon, despite repeated asurances that it was just "a month away" or "Christmas at the latest"). As yet we don't even know how long immunity will be sustained following infection (other SARS-type viruses suggest less than six months).
Yes, you're correct. As it's turned out lockdown suppressed one problem but made problems out of everything else.A bit like trying to kill a fly in your window with a hammer.

I doubt there will be a vaccine any year soon. Not an effective one at least. The flu jab has been around for about 70 years . We still have flu and thousands still die from it.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:54 am
Pompey Penguin wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Yes, you're correct. As it's turned out lockdown suppressed one problem but made problems out of everything else.A bit like trying to kill a fly in your window with a hammer.

I doubt there will be a vaccine any year soon. Not an effective one at least. The flu jab has been around for about 70 years . We still have flu and thousands still die from it.
What’s your point? That people are going to die anyway so why bother trying to reduce those deaths?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

No, that's the trouble with people like you . You think that Covid is the only serious illness around anymore and sod all else matters.

My point is that millions of other people with other serious illnesses were pushed to one side for months which is going to result in a far worse crisis down the line. Not to mention the destruction of everyone else's livelihoods and indeed the country
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Anyway our tinpot dictator has just spoken and basically condemned the country to ruin. What's the bl**dy point
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:55 pm My point is that millions of other people with other serious illnesses were pushed to one side for months which is going to result in a far worse crisis down the line. Not to mention the destruction of everyone else's livelihoods and indeed the country
In regards to your first point I'm happy to be scrutinised on my views but won't get drawn into defending strawman arguments. If you have a specific question you want to ask me go for it. I'm not shy.

In regards to your second paragraph you make a fair point. As mentioned in the original post I have skin in the game so to speak. My wife had already been made redundant and the future possibility of schools closing is going to impact on her ability to keep any sort of employment in the medium term so don't think I haven't thought about this myself. As mentioned multiple times on here over the past few months you will have people that would be happy to close down the country completely to contain the virus and on the other hand you have people who think nothing should be done. I believe what will happen will be somewhere in the middle and everyone's opinion on what is and isn't too far is going to be very subjective and partly formed by their own experiences. It's very easy to criticise and make blanket hyperbole statements.

Please indulge me and let me ask you a few questions then:

* Are there any points of the new lockdown measures you agree with and if so what?
* Is there anything else you'd do differently?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

I've only read the bullet points of what was said today. I think the main statement is tonight. So the answer to your first question is presently no.

The second question is what I've said from very early on in all this. If people are vulnerable or they can take sensible extra precautions.

The rest of us take the lesser but important measures of regular handwashing , cleaning , not coughing on people , stay at home if you're ill etc.

My 78 year old mother said to me the other day "you don't get to be this age by not knowing how to look after yourself"
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:42 pm I've only read the bullet points of what was said today. I think the main statement is tonight. So the answer to your first question is presently no.

The second question is what I've said from very early on in all this. If people are vulnerable or they can take sensible extra precautions.

The rest of us take the lesser but important measures of regular handwashing , cleaning , not coughing on people , stay at home if you're ill etc.

My 78 year old mother said to me the other day "you don't get to be this age by not knowing how to look after yourself"
So you don't think there should be any enforcement at all?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix