COVID - UK faces 50,000 new cases a day by October and 200+ deaths a day by November.

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Re: COVID - UK faces 50,000 new cases a day by October and 200+ deaths a day by November.

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:32 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:51 am I saw some interesting statistics from ONS yesterday. Which I'll have a look for again later. The majority of transmission is still taking place in care homes
I'm in danger of agreeing with you over something. Some local authorities have been asking care homes to take on Covid Positive residents. This was from the 17th September.

https://www.channel4.com/news/revealed- ... l-patients

Care homes have also being offered cash incentives to take on Covid cases. This is from August 28th.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -patients/
Well dont panic. Even GB and I have agree on a few occasions lately. Yes I had read the reports you posted the other day.

You have to ask Why is this necessary when nightingale hospitals were built to specifically care for Covid patients but have gone pretty much unused ?
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Re: COVID - UK faces 50,000 new cases a day by October and 200+ deaths a day by November.

Post by GreenBlue »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:12 am Well dont panic. Even GB and I have agree on a few occasions lately.
$h!t!!!! I
That was real? I thought it was some dreadful dream. :lol:
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

GreenBlue wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:03 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:12 am Well dont panic. Even GB and I have agree on a few occasions lately.
$h!t!!!! I
That was real? I thought it was some dreadful dream. :lol:
it was for me 😬
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:12 am
Sam_Brown wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:32 am
Mr D Nuts wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:51 am I saw some interesting statistics from ONS yesterday. Which I'll have a look for again later. The majority of transmission is still taking place in care homes
I'm in danger of agreeing with you over something. Some local authorities have been asking care homes to take on Covid Positive residents. This was from the 17th September.

https://www.channel4.com/news/revealed- ... l-patients

Care homes have also being offered cash incentives to take on Covid cases. This is from August 28th.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -patients/
Well dont panic. Even GB and I have agree on a few occasions lately. Yes I had read the reports you posted the other day.

You have to ask Why is this necessary when nightingale hospitals were built to specifically care for Covid patients but have gone pretty much unused ?
That's a fair point and I don't have a concrete answer to that to be honest.

If I had to guess I'd say it's a mixture of logistics (there are only 7) and the fact they only have 1,800 capacity between all 7 of them at present.

Considering the highest number of people in hospital (UK only) was over 17,000 on April 12th you have to wonder if they would be able to cope with the numbers anyway.

Worth adding that according to ONS that around 19,300 died in care homes from Covid (that's out of 66,000 deaths in care homes for the same period) between 2nd March and 12th June. Considering the usual hospital stay is 8 days and between 2/3 and 12/6 it's 102 days then that would mean on average needing to cover 1,400 every day which I guess would be possible had they been fully open.

So yeah your guess is as good as mine.

Sources:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12580 ... l-covid-19
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/healthcare
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/s ... -activity/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHS_Nightingale_Hospitals
https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/a ... 20-01726-3
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Thank you, Sam. Some good info on that post 👍

I've just been skimming through some news stories and I had to double check which country and which year I am in.
Rations at the supermarket, youngsters forbidden from going home for Christmas possibly and men in blue vests snooping around London looking in people's letterboxes 😕
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I went out for a few beers last night, and the pub I tend to go to has been closing early and only doing table service since it reopened (it's an odd shape).. yesterday most people wore masks to the table and when going to the toilet, on a couple of occasions people had to be reminded by their party or the bar staff but thats to be expected on day 2.

I just worry how long all this can be sustained, by businesses, and by the general population. Will we ever get back to anything like normal? At the moment that just seems like it's years away, can't imagine being back at a football ground this season, and probably next... Even if they find a vaccine it's not going to be possible to administer it in numbers required overnight.
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 am I went out for a few beers last night, and the pub I tend to go to has been closing early and only doing table service since it reopened (it's an odd shape).. yesterday most people wore masks to the table and when going to the toilet, on a couple of occasions people had to be reminded by their party or the bar staff but thats to be expected on day 2.

I just worry how long all this can be sustained, by businesses, and by the general population. Will we ever get back to anything like normal? At the moment that just seems like it's years away, can't imagine being back at a football ground this season, and probably next... Even if they find a vaccine it's not going to be possible to administer it in numbers required overnight.
I had been going and supporting my locals every weekend but I shan't any longer. Just can't be ar$3d with all the BS rituals. No talking to other people etc. We are just taking turns at each others houses from now on.
One of the pubs I use put a Facebook post on saying they may be closing very soon as the brewery are putting his rent and beer up from next week. What planet are they on ?

The massive over-reach by the government is insane and needs to be stopped.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:41 am
Pompey1984+1 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:29 am I went out for a few beers last night, and the pub I tend to go to has been closing early and only doing table service since it reopened (it's an odd shape).. yesterday most people wore masks to the table and when going to the toilet, on a couple of occasions people had to be reminded by their party or the bar staff but thats to be expected on day 2.

I had been going and supporting my locals every weekend but I shan't any longer. Just can't be ar$3d with all the BS rituals. No talking to other people etc. We are just taking turns at each others houses from now on.
One of the pubs I use put a Facebook post on saying they may be closing very soon as the brewery are putting his rent and beer up from next week. What planet are they on ?

The massive over-reach by the government is insane and needs to be stopped.
I don’t get it. You say you want to protect the NHS but then don’t want to bring anything in to actually facilitate that.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Not that black and white. There’s being cautious, then there’s severe gov’t overreach and destruction of freedom.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:02 pm Not that black and white. There’s being cautious, then there’s severe gov’t overreach and destruction of freedom.

Yeah but you previously said you were against any government intervention.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:52 pm
Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:02 pm Not that black and white. There’s being cautious, then there’s severe gov’t overreach and destruction of freedom.

Selective memory. I also said that precautions should be taken such as regular handwashing, distancing and protecting those who need it want it .
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:25 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Selective memory. I also said that precautions should be taken such as regular handwashing, distancing and protecting those who need it want it .
True. I would argue the increase in cases shows that without government intervention things would be a lot worse. You disagree?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Mr Dee »

Is that a rhetorical question,Sam ? 😂

We know each others stance.

Off tangent a bit but Type "104 year old woman beats coronavirus" into google. Amazingly almost every country has at least one.
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I tell you what has staggered me this week, learning than Manchester Met university has 33k students...

There is now talk that the whole of northern England will end up in lockdown, pubs and places closed, no household mixing, and then now mixing outside your household anywhere - the thought of that through the winter is soul destroying and it will turn the town's and cities up here into ghost towns when this ****** finally ends. No way pubs and restaurants can ever come back from that.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr D Nuts wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:15 am Is that a rhetorical question,Sam ? 😂
Lol it wasn't rhetorical.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix