UK Approve Covid Vaccine. Are you going to take it right away?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

What are you gonna do?

I'll take it ASAP
61%
I'd rather wait a few months first but happy to take it.
26%
Don't plan on taking it at all.
13%

Total votes: 23

Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 138 times

UK Approve Covid Vaccine. Are you going to take it right away?

Post by Sam_Brown »

I’ve been pretty vocal to all the anti vax people I’ve met but feels like they’ve pushed this through for political reasons as Johnson is taking a hammering in the polls at the moment. I'm slightly anxious at the speed of which it’s been approved where we are the only country to do so at times of this post but I understand there shouldn't be any extra risk compared to other vaccines.

I appreciate most of us on here aren’t top of the list anyway but if you were offered the vaccine tomorrow would you take it?
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: UK Approve Covid Vaccine. Are you going to take it right away?

Post by No Shot Sherlock »

Let the anti-vaxers refuse it. The more that do the sooner us that are not on the most vulnerable list will be able to get it and start living again.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

I’d take it tomorrow. It’s not just about protecting ourselves.
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

New Forester wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:20 pm I’d take it tomorrow. It’s not just about protecting ourselves.
Totally agree with you NF. It's about the wider issue of world health...not all about me, me, me. 8)
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:11 am I’ve been pretty vocal to all the anti vax people I’ve met but feels like they’ve pushed this through for political reasons as Johnson is taking a hammering in the polls at the moment. I'm slightly anxious at the speed of which it’s been approved where we are the only country to do so at times of this post but I understand there shouldn't be any extra risk compared to other vaccines.

I appreciate most of us on here aren’t top of the list anyway but if you were offered the vaccine tomorrow would you take it?
I don't know if the same is true of this Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, but certainly with the Oxford/AstraZeneca, they have been keeping the UK regulators up to speed throughout the testing and trials period. If Pfizer have too, then the regulators had already been able to analyse a lot of the data put before them.

I feel certain the regulators would not approve this vaccine, or any other drug, if they weren't 100% happy with the data, pressure or no.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Berkshire Blue
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 9 times

Post by Berkshire Blue »

Although I had the virus back in March, I'm with NF here. I will take it as soon as it is offered, and at our ages NF and I may not have all that long to wait!
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

I went for "wait a few months" because there are a lot of people (even in my advanced age range) a lot more vulnerable than I am, and I would expect to wait for a while before getting it. Even when it comes to my group, I won't be rushing to get vaccinated, but will in good time and with no real hesitation.

As an anti-anti-vaxxer (is that a thing?), we still need to consider a few points. Has it been fully tested? Almost certainly not; there hasn't been time to study anything other than immediate effects and we won't know how it will impact select groups (children, elderly, pregnant women, etc.) or interact with other drugs being taken. Has it been tested properly? Almost certainly; there is too much scrutiny for the pharma companies to get up to their usual tricks. Have we got enough data? No, there just haven't been enough studies to start to look at metastatisitics, but that would take years and no-one is waiting that long. Will it be as effective as advertised? No, it is an oddity in all vaccines that the field results are never as good as the trials; it's just something everyone accepts as true even if they often don't know why. Will it be effective enough? Yes, if enough people have it. How long will immunity last? No-one knows, although "natural" immunity seems longer than that from other similar viruses.

Ultimately, these vaccines are the only way we are going to get out of this mess any time soon. At worst they should reduce the infection rate to something manageable, and at best there will be enough immunity in the population to drive it out. Therefore, having the vaccination at some point over the coming months is the only realistic option for the good of all.

The other question is whether we have learned any lessons from this disaster. The answer: probably not. The world population will continue with dodgy animal husbandry methods, disease prevention will be underfunded because there is no profit in it, too many people will continue to make no effort to look after themselves, and medical decisions will continue to be made on political grounds. I suspect that we will have to live through a number of these events before the world catches up with the best practice report, trace, control and prevent systems used in places like Taiwan.
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by New Forester »

Berkshire Blue wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:00 pm Although I had the virus back in March, I'm with NF here. I will take it as soon as it is offered, and at our ages NF and I may not have all that long to wait!
:thumb :thumb :thumb
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

eltorrro wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm
New Forester wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:20 pm I’d take it tomorrow. It’s not just about protecting ourselves.
Totally agree with you NF. It's about the wider issue of world health...not all about me, me, me. 8)
Agreed, but Mrs NSS is one of the clinically extremely vulnerable - through no fault of her own either - so we've spent most of 2020 shielding/isolating. We can't/won't even risk spending Xmas with our own kids/grandkids. The vaccine is the only thing that offers her/us the chance to return to anything remotely approaching normality in 2021 so I don't mind admitting to thinking a little selfishly on this occasion.
eltorrro
Interim Manager
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by eltorrro »

No Shot Sherlock wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:48 pm
eltorrro wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:36 pm
Agreed, but Mrs NSS is one of the clinically extremely vulnerable - through no fault of her own either - so we've spent most of 2020 shielding/isolating. We can't/won't even risk spending Xmas with our own kids/grandkids. The vaccine is the only thing that offers her/us the chance to return to anything remotely approaching normality in 2021 so I don't mind admitting to thinking a little selfishly on this occasion.
NSS...think you have misinterpreted my post. When I said 'me, me, me' I meant all those winging people that refused to accept/stick to the rules/only concerned with self interest..Mrs NSS will be one of the first to be called and you are not thinking selfishly..it's your right!! 8)
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

I've had all the main vaccines in the past and I probably will have this one although I'd be at the back of the queue anyway.

Thing is if it's a safe as they keep saying why have the manufacturer's been protected from legal action if something goes wrong ? https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 1606930039
Pompey1984+1
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Pompey1984+1 »

I don't think the vaccine is unsafe in so much as it will kill me days after taking it.

What does concern me is the lack of any temporal data. What if in 3 years time everyone who has had it is more susceptible to X, Y or Z.

I'm not saying I'm not going to have it as it's looking like it's going to be made mandatory by imposing restrictions on those who don't have it - but I don't think it's fair to be lamented for being cautious about something so new.

At my age I'm incredibly unlikely to be badly affected should I catch it (if I haven't already and been asymptomatic) there still seems to be a lack of definitive proof that having the vaccine stops you spreading it if that's the case why do I need to have it if all those that want it have it have already had it - at this point I'm the one at increased risk. I hope to have a lot of life left to live and I'd rather do that without ill effects from a vaccine against a disease which while horrible is unlikely to leave me with any long term issues.

So long story short I'm skeptical but will have to have it if want to work, go to the pub or football etc...
No Shot Sherlock
Sir Conan Doyle
Sir Conan Doyle

eltorrro wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:07 pm NSS...think you have misinterpreted my post. When I said 'me, me, me' I meant all those winging people that refused to accept/stick to the rules/only concerned with self interest..Mrs NSS will be one of the first to be called and you are not thinking selfishly..it's your right!! 8)
No worries mate, I wasn't thinking you were having a pop at me per se. Just wanted to explain that, for some, there's bound to be a degree of self interest. BTW, Mrs NSS falls into group 4 eligibility for the vaccine whereas I'm in group 7, so it'll be a while longer yet before we're hugging family, or visiting a pub/restaurant with friends, but at least that is now looking possible again.
itsaintfunny
Mick Channon
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by itsaintfunny »

Yes I will .
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by GreenBlue »

I don't trust the government but I do trust scientists and doctors so it is a YES from me.

I think I fall in the 8th wave of people who will be offered the vaccine so it will be a few months yet.