Memorable Pompey games you went to?

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

Weybridge
Interim Manager
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Memorable Pompey games you went to?

Post by Weybridge »

rumourmonger wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:44 pm Part Two

3rd January 1988 2-0 away to Southampton . Good news and bad news day, The good was the result , beating the old enemy in their own backyard but the bad news emerged that we had just sold Micky Kennedy to Bradford and so began our descent out of the top flight after one season.
I had chronic food poisoning for this one, and couldn’t go. Absolutely gutted (in every way). Then we were told there were no tv highlights either. Surely not? First top flight derby in years, and no tv? TVS and BBC South both insisted they had no cameras present, but rumours persisted for months. There were cameras... but the highlights were never shown on tv. Police CCTV had got the goals? Unlikely. Still no sign. Years passed and I never saw the goals, then a few years ago, they popped up on YouTube - with commentary. Lying bastards!

"Look, we've all got something to contribute to this discussion. And I think what you should contribute from now on is silence."
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by pompeygunner »

Weybridge wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:17 pm
rumourmonger wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:44 pm Part Two

3rd January 1988 2-0 away to Southampton . Good news and bad news day, The good was the result , beating the old enemy in their own backyard but the bad news emerged that we had just sold Micky Kennedy to Bradford and so began our descent out of the top flight after one season.
I had chronic food poisoning for this one, and couldn’t go. Absolutely gutted (in every way). Then we were told there were no tv highlights either. Surely not? First top flight derby in years, and no tv? TVS and BBC South both insisted they had no cameras present, but rumours persisted for months. There were cameras... but the highlights were never shown on tv. Police CCTV had got the goals? Unlikely. Still no sign. Years passed and I never saw the goals, then a few years ago, they popped up on YouTube - with commentary. Lying bastards!

They would've shown the goals if scum had won. It has to be said that the scum biase was rife back then. FFS even Radio solent used to refer to scum as " super soaraway saints in another full house @ the Dell" (capacity 15k) It was absolutely pathetic @ times. I know Fred Dineage certainly pushed for more & better coverage for us on TVS, the Solent thing came to an end when Grant Coleman took over as Sports Correspondent. Apart from being a Pompey fan he brought a air of professionalism to the role previously unseen.
Last edited by pompeygunner on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

Another one that comes to mind is Bradford City @ home in Oct 79. 24k & that Phil Ashworth game. We won 4-1 & it was amazing.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

found this one.

Div III. Call it what it is.
pompeygunner
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by pompeygunner »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:12 pm found this one.

Was on the North Terrace for that one, absolutely soaked & frozen but an absolute classic.
The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

you were wet then! I was in the fratton end about half way up behind the goal.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Rick Pumpkin
Alan Biley

Post by Rick Pumpkin »

The Cincinnati Kid wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:26 pm you were wet then! I was in the fratton end about half way up behind the goal.
I watched the highlights a week or so later on a VHS in a freezing cold cabin in Port Stanley during a break from clearing mines. Not what I joined the air force to do!
Dinksy
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Dinksy »

A proper crowd and a proper British winter pitch. What the game we fell in love with looked like.
I remember the South Stand shaking - still gives me the shivers.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

The best game ever, as others have said was Wembley 2019, the atmosphere was absolutely electric, 40000 Pompey trying (and succeeding) to out-shout 40000 Sunderland. Jamal's goal. Just.... Jamal's goal. One big group-hug with me and my 3 boys, jumping up and down, screeching our heads off. My voice didn't fully recover for a week.

One that may not be an obvious one was home to Wigan in 2009, the season we were relegated. Overall, we'd been pretty carp for the season, but that game we were bl**dy amazing. Dindane scored a hat-trick, and Freddie Pigeon the other, if I recall correctly. Fratton was absolutely rocking that day.

The good thing about both games was that I didn't pay a penny to watch either.

As I've mentioned before, I was a guest of Checkatrade for the Wembley game.

In the run up to that Wigan game, Pompey had been giving tickets to schools, and it seemed to me to be pointless giving them to kids who may or may not actually like football. I had emailed Peter Storrie and suggested he give them to local kids football clubs - which he did, and I had my fair share of the first allocation to be given out.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
New Forester
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 53 times

Post by New Forester »

Pompey Penguin: After that, it all went downhill.

Since my first two seasons were 1949/50 and 50/51, I empathise! But we have had some fun since. On occasions. :thumb :thumb
Avatar: Harry 'Brusher' Mills (19 March 1840 – 1 July 1905) was a hermit, resident in the New Forest in Hampshire, England, who made his living as a snake-catcher. He became a local celebrity and an attraction for visitors to the New Forest.No relation as far as I know :thumb
streetrifle
Paul Merson
Been liked: 2 times

Post by streetrifle »

I'm going back to 23 Jan 1971, F A Cup, Home to mighty invincible title-winning Arsenal, 39,000 +, bucketing with rain, coming down in sheets, never got so wet at Fratton ever again out on the uncovered terrace. Magnificent pulsating game in thick mud, despite being a poor side that season we lifted our game further than anyone could ever have imagined. Unforgettable equalising goal in last minute from the mercurial Trebilcock sent the fans mad at 1-1. Lost the replay but what a game, can still remember exactly where I was stood on the terrace.
Just can't believe it was 50 years ago this month. Does anyone else have strong memories of it.
Pompey Penguin
Billy The Boot Boy

Post by Pompey Penguin »

streetrifle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:50 am I'm going back to 23 Jan 1971, F A Cup, Home to mighty invincible title-winning Arsenal, 39,000 +, bucketing with rain, coming down in sheets, never got so wet at Fratton ever again out on the uncovered terrace. Magnificent pulsating game in thick mud, despite being a poor side that season we lifted our game further than anyone could ever have imagined. Unforgettable equalising goal in last minute from the mercurial Trebilcock sent the fans mad at 1-1. Lost the replay but what a game, can still remember exactly where I was stood on the terrace.
Just can't believe it was 50 years ago this month. Does anyone else have strong memories of it.
Absolutely. At that point I had been to about 10-12 Pompey games, lots of losses and only a couple of wins; no idea why I was still interested in going as we were pretty rubbish at the time. We had gone to the previous home game against Cardiff, lost 1-3 with only a Tommy Youlden (I think) consolation to show for it, but on the rumour that there would be vouchers given out for the Arsenal game, and indeed there were. My father took time off work the following week to queue for tickets for both of us and a mate of mine.

Arsenal went ahead through a first half penalty, but we stepped up second half and completely battered them. Eventually Trebilcock equalised with what is probably one of the top ten memorable goals of my supporting time. The game was on the Big Match the following afternoon, and apart from the Arsenal goal they showed none of the first half, just as much of the second half excitement as possible. This was my first "big game" watching Pompey, and from then on I was properly hooked.

As you say, lost the replay 2-3 and Arsenal went on to win the double. I listened on the radio, and we were ahead at one point, 2-1 I think, so it was another exciting game.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

streetrifle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:50 am I'm going back to 23 Jan 1971, F A Cup, Home to mighty invincible title-winning Arsenal, 39,000 +, bucketing with rain, coming down in sheets, never got so wet at Fratton ever again out on the uncovered terrace. Magnificent pulsating game in thick mud, despite being a poor side that season we lifted our game further than anyone could ever have imagined. Unforgettable equalising goal in last minute from the mercurial Trebilcock sent the fans mad at 1-1. Lost the replay but what a game, can still remember exactly where I was stood on the terrace.
Not wishing to make you feel old, but that was about 6 weeks before I was born.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by Sam_Brown »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:34 pm
Not wishing to make you feel old, but that was about 6 weeks before I was born.
If it helps it's about 14 years before I was born :rofl
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Joninkent
Collins Mbesuma

Post by Joninkent »

Final game of season away to Northampton 1980. We had to win to get promotion from Div 4 and other results to go right for us. We won 2-0 but all ears on radios to confirm somehow we did it. Everyone on the pitch at the end. One hell of a party. Remember I drove all the way there on L plates and passed my test a few days later.
Away to Millwall Feb 83. Sat in the so called grandstand (which was anything but grand) in the old Den. Couldn't help but go nuts when I think it was Neil Webb scored the second in a 2-0 win. It all goes a bit hazy after that but was probably the most scared I ever got at any game as it was just me and my mate from Pompey in that part of the ground.
Away to Newcastle 1983-84 season. They had Keegan, Beardsley and Waddle up front. We lost 4-2. To be honest we were hammered that day. Two goals flattered us, but had a great crack on the Football special train and got back to Southsea just in time for an Indian that stayed open for us. Can't remember the name of it now.
So many great memories from that whole era.