Football v Brexit

General chat room. Pompey related or not, but PLEASE keep it reasonably clean.

Moderators: Kingofstar, Chris_in_LA, lakespfc, Admin, General Mods

The Cincinnati Kid
Guy Whittingham
Been liked: 17 times

Football v Brexit

Post by The Cincinnati Kid »

I stand to be corrected here as usual but it seems, according to a Sam Allardyce blurb I just read, that all English clubs are now back to the old days of having to secure a work permit for European players, ie they have to be judged as "capable / special etc etc" and await paperwork. Also, those Euros under 18 are off limits completely.
Div III. Call it what it is.
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 147 times

Re: Football v Brexit

Post by Sam_Brown »

Think these two links sum it up:

and

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ready.html
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Post by Locky_McLockface »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:02 pm Think these two links sum it up:

and

Awwww, my heart bleeds for him.

I know it's a stupid idea, and all that, but he could..... No, it's too stupid to suggest.... Oh, well, all right then, I was just thinking that he could try to sign some British players instead.
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Mr Dee
Billy The Boot Boy
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Mr Dee »

Bring back the 3 foreigners per squad rule
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Mr Dee wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:45 pm Bring back the 3 foreigners per squad rule
I'd be up for that.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
GreenBlue
Billy The Boot Boy
Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by GreenBlue »

Sam_Brown wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:02 pm Think these two links sum it up:

and

What a surprise hearing anti-foreigner sentiment on Alan Brazil's talk Sport show.
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:18 pm
Mr Dee wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:45 pm Bring back the 3 foreigners per squad rule
I'd be up for that.
Nothing stopping us from doing that now, as far as I'm aware. The reason it had to be abolished was because of EU freedom of movement rules. Obviously, we need to take into account that anyone who is already working here has a right to remain.

Which raises an interesting point. Let's take Rasmus Nicolaisen as an example. He is working here, as an EU national. If he were to be recalled by his parent club (sorry, can't spell it, so not going to try), he would then not be working here. If he were immediately to be loaned to, eg Sunderland, would he then need to apply for a work permit?
I before E except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
Sam_Brown
Kev the Kitman

Post by Sam_Brown »

Locky_McLockface wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:23 pm
Sam_Brown wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:18 pm
I'd be up for that.
Nothing stopping us from doing that now, as far as I'm aware. The reason it had to be abolished was because of EU freedom of movement rules. Obviously, we need to take into account that anyone who is already working here has a right to remain.

Which raises an interesting point. Let's take Rasmus Nicolaisen as an example. He is working here, as an EU national. If he were to be recalled by his parent club (sorry, can't spell it, so not going to try), he would then not be working here. If he were immediately to be loaned to, eg Sunderland, would he then need to apply for a work permit?
True. I was thinking more for the prem where it would force the bigger clubs to give English talent a go and (hopefully) improve the national team. I think something similar is one of the reasons Germany have had such a strong team in recent years?

Did a quick google and found this:
* As of the 2006/07 season, each German club must have at least twelve German licensed professionals under contract.
* As of the 2008/09 season, each club must employ at least eight players who have come through German academies.
Not exactly limiting to 3 foreigners but food for thought.
Coeli lux nostra ductrix
Locky_McLockface
Guy Whittingham

Sam_Brown wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:20 pm True. I was thinking more for the prem where it would force the bigger clubs to give English talent a go and (hopefully) improve the national team. I think something similar is one of the reasons Germany have had such a strong team in recent years?

Did a quick google and found this:
* As of the 2006/07 season, each German club must have at least twelve German licensed professionals under contract.
* As of the 2008/09 season, each club must employ at least eight players who have come through German academies.
Not exactly limiting to 3 foreigners but food for thought.
Yeah, I was thinking for the whole league too, it doesn't really apply to us as a club, as we have so few non-Brits.

I presume people like Marcus Harness will have dual-nationality and therefore be able to play in the UK whilst still representing Rep of Ireland.